Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 4
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 30th May 10, 3:55 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi All
    Does anyone have a recipe to use up a jar of out of date marmalade - ie marmalade cake/buns etc.
    seems a waste to throw it!!

Thanks

Sunny Donny
    Originally posted by Sunny Donny
    It will keep for ages after its sell by date, just pop it in the fridge once opened and use as normal, ooh lovely toast dripping with butter and lovely marmalade *drools*

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 30th May 10, 4:39 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    nsd for me today and will be tomorrow as well going to my cousins for dinner tomorrow so that will save us a meal and cooking also
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • Jedilibrarian
    Hi all
    Money tight this month so I'm going to aim for £60 thanks MrsM. May went rubbish and I lost count after a bit-going to try and post here this month as it keeps me on the straight and narrow!

For all veggies out there Farmf00ds are doing Quorn products really cheap at the moment, I got the kievs and poppin bites for £1, also the new beef chilli pack for £1 and linda mccartney 6 sausages pack for £1 (love these). Much much cheaper than the big supermarkets!!

Good luck for June everyone!
  • kevjarvisuni
    Hi all,

can we join in? We think we may spend about £200 per month on grocery spending (including cleaning products, nappies etc.), which is probably far too much so would like start off with a target of £180 for June and then try to reduce this over the coming months.

Many thanks
    • hex2
    • By hex2 30th May 10, 5:50 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Mrs M - have you found Quiche in a SW style? Officially you make it with yucky pasta n sauce but it is nicer without IMHO. Basically you use four eggs whisked with either very low fat cottage cheese or quark, and pour over chopped veg of your choice (I tend to use frozen peppers and sweetcorn). You can add al dente pasta, or cubes of meat depending on your plan for the day. Bake for 30 mins or so till set, then cut into cubes for a filling, point free snack. Add some cheese on top from your allowance if you want to. I also make this for my small boys, using full fat cheese, and 25p basic soft cheese to make them a pastryless quiche. You can vary it by what you have in stock, and it doesnt have to be diet - I have made it tonight using eggs from my hens, the remains of a tub of reduced cream, half a tub of value soft cheese, the last bit of cold salmon and the dregs of the saute potatoes from dinner and a bit of cheese grated on the top. It will make perfect picnic food for our walk tomorrow from what was mostly leftovers.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 30th May 10, 6:44 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Hi everyone,

signature is updated, my month started on Wednesday and ive spent rather more than i would have liked, but thats only because im loving all the lovely food thats appearing on the shelves-mainly British asparagus and British strawberries, spring greens, Jersey Royals....i could go on! However thats not a bad thing because we are eating so well. I follow Slimming World principles so get through tons of fruit, veg and stuff.

I went to Mr T for some bits and then Mr M today to do my weeks shop-loads easier doing the main shop weekly instead of less often, and dh came along, he never comes shopping with me because tbh he just gets on my nerves lol, and he couldnt believe what i spent at the till-£47.75. He thought that was a lot for a family of three, i dont! Especially as it included free range chicken, loads of fruit and veg and everything else we need for the week! I dont know where he thinks the food comes from and the meals appear from!! Admittedly that is more than i wanted to spend because last week i spent just under £35 on the shop, but i got loads of yummy fruit today like cherries and pineapple, and other bits we dont need every week. Maybe i will send him next time, see how he gets on getting a weeks shop for a house of three that will do all of us three meals a day, id love to know what he would come home with-probably chicken nuggets and chips all week!

Well i have no plans to go near a shop tommorow and im working tues, wed, thurs and wont have the energy to face a shop, so hopefully we will need just milk as we get through tons and thats it untill my main shop again next weekend some time.

Night all x
  • Ginger Snap
    I have never done this before but please would you put me down for
    £400

Thanks.

We have been spending about £150 a week at the supermarket, at least, so this is a start at cutting back...Please don't all be appalled by the amount!
    Last edited by Ginger Snap; 30-05-2010 at 6:57 PM.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 30th May 10, 7:39 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    sistercas
    could you please put me down for £350
    thankyou x

trying to shave a bit more off the GC this month did appallingly last month
  • bevan840
    I'm in for £250 again, need to get off computer though as got nightmare headache
    Jan 09. Debt @ LBM - £11936.55 Debt at worst - £12600.55 Current Debt (01/03/2012) £8,859.51 29.7% Paid off
    Honeymoon Fund £410.40/£6000 House Deposit £1.50
    Proud to be dealing with my debts. DFW Nerd 1177
  • welshkaz
    seems a few of us are following slimming world and i think your right its more a way of life than a diet i dont think id ever go back to weight watchers now and i wonder if theres a slimming world recipe forum on here, this months magazine has some fab fab diets that can be easily thrown together on a budget especially with the veg in garden sprouting up.....

I started my monthly spends today with a massive 84p for a bottle of diet pepsi for 2 litres i went to the coop expecting the nescafe goldblend still to be on offer but alas it wasnt grr !!!
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
    • catznine
    • By catznine 30th May 10, 8:39 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Can you put me down for £150 for June please! I slipped off the old style path last month and now need to clear some shelf space!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 30th May 10, 8:44 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Hi everyone

I'm gonna declare £207.59 for May £7.59 over budget... Going to stick to £200 for June, but it will be more of a challenge as I have bought a house (getting keys on Friday!!) which will mean more conveniance type food for a bit

Hope everyone is doing well a\nd look forward to the month ahead

ps. sorry for the rubbish spelling, my delete key is playing up
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
    • winterfrost
    • By winterfrost 30th May 10, 9:10 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    winterfrost
    Just went out to dinner (the pre-planned one) and spent £20. Technically £5 was from a relative and £5 was left in my purse from last week, rather than all from GC money, but I have counted it as the full £20 in the interests of fairness. Then spent £2 on food on the way home, which should keep me topped up til Wednesday.
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 30th May 10, 9:35 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Hi, can I join in the challenge for this month please? I checked all my grocery spending for the past 6 months today, and it worked out at an average of £180 per month, so I'm setting a target of £160 for this month and will start on the 1st June.

Hugs
    Sue.
  • 4kids4cats
    Yay! First NSD of the month. Really pleased with that. I know lots of people manage a lot more than 10 in a month but it's new to me, so going for 10 and if I manage more, all the better!

• cw18
    • By cw18 30th May 10, 10:15 PM
    • 8,079 Posts
    • 86,075 Thanks
    cw18
    Target for June is £102 please

Haven't been doing very well at sticking to my targets so far this year - under in Jan & Feb, waaaaay over in March (thanks to 3 orders from App Foods, but these have stocked me well up on several items for a number of months), slightly under in April, and over again in May

Currently more than £50 overspent on where I wanted to be at this point of the year, but have about £65-70 worth of goods stock-piled for using in the next 4-6 months, so just might scrape in by year end Fingers crossed I manage to claw some of my overspend back in June.........
    Cheryl
  • highland fling
    Good morning everyone,

the sun is shining already.
    Off work for bank holiday weekend so have been spending some time in the garden. Not what you would call an expert but I really enjoy pottering about and it is looking well at the moment, clematis and aquiligia in full bloom. I am also trying to grow some edibles. Salad leaves, herbs and last year I grew leeks. Nothing too challenging I know but this is all new to me. My brothers are very experienced gardeners so they are advising me. Will head out there for another couple of hours today.

On the kitchen front I plan to do some more baking today, possibly scones. They carry well in lunch pack. Also hope to bake some muffins if I am not too tired. Having cottage pie for dinner - still using up random items in freezer.

When I keep busy around the house it gives me a sense of satisfaction and keeps me away from the shops. As long as I tackle tasks in bite sized pieces and don't overtire myself I feel a real sense of achievement.

Hope you all have a really great day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • dobs
    • By dobs 31st May 10, 8:11 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    dobs
    Morning everyone. DH went shopping yesterday, Asda and Lidl combined came to £91.63, however that was to tide us over for most of next wk as well as this, but we had two lovely unexpected visitors yesterday afternoon, so had five ravenous kids instead of the usual 3 - i was trying to ration the food a bit but am already a big pack of cocktail sausages, bag of apples, carton of juice, punnet of grapes and frozen veg down now lol. They said to their mum they didn't get any pudding but i thought they'd had enough lol! So i am short for next wk now as i was going to freeze the sausage to cook for two meals nxt wk for kids with veg.

Also having secong thoughts about letting ds1 have his birthday party at home now as there will be 8 boys, and 5 was stressful enough!

Got last months total wrong as well, though i was only about 50p over but actually £10 over!(maths is not my strong point). So going to try and do lots of baking this week and attempt a meal plan, not sure if hubby will be up in time for dinners or having his later which is a pain as i have to think of things i can reheat all wk.

Going to try for 10 nsd's this month as i only managed 7 last month but we had lots of birthdays. May have to send the laptop away as well to be mended so will update when it comes back (took 3 wks last time so challenge may be onto next months by that time!)
    Have a great day everyone x
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 31st May 10, 8:26 AM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 36,623 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    June and July are going to be interesting months in the house of Cranky. We're on holiday for 1 week in June, and the kitchen floor is being dug up (earth and quarry tiles) and being replaced with concrete and proper flooring. The kitchen needs to be completely emptied, so the cooker will be in the garden, the plates and tinned food will be in the sitting room, and the fridge, freezer, microwave etc will be in the playroom.The chimney breast between the kitchen and the utility room is being taken out, so that should result in a bigger, lighter and more enjoyable kitchen.

Goodness knows what we will eat while the work is in progress. I have £50 of Tesco vouchers to buy food with for our week away (3 adults, 3 children), so that should work out ok ish and that spend won't be included in the challenge. However, it's half term this week, and my son and his friends seem to eat non stop. How do they manage at school when they're only allowed a mid morning snack and their lunch?

I'm going to try for a target of £200 for June, including cat food, toiletries, take aways where needed etc. Actually, Grumpy the house elf (my 5 year old) doesn't do takeaway food, so it's more likely we'll be living on spaghetti or beans on toast.

Take care all of you.
    • pammyj74
    • By pammyj74 31st May 10, 9:25 AM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 17,364 Thanks
    pammyj74
    can you put me down for £120 please this month

MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,695Users online

Martin's Twitter