Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 3
    • bumpybecky
    • By bumpybecky 29th May 10, 7:38 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    bumpybecky
    hello can I join in please?

I'm aiming for £400 for 2 adults, 4 children (12, 10, 5 and 2), 1 dog, 2 cats to include toiletries as well as food
  • rosieben
    Thank you Pink for the new thread

Welcome to all our newbies & Welcome back to all our returners

Lindy - Loo, curly wurlys are one of life's essentials, especially on a bank holiday weekend!

I'm baking and cooking tomorrow, I have a mrt delivery on Tues and might also nip to the c00p to snaffle up a couple of special offers if they have any left.

Enjoy the long weekend everyone, the weather forecast is good for tomorrow and monday so lots of bbqs and beaches
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • SuziQ
    I am going to restart this for June, having had a very very long gap due to me being in hospital twice last year and once again this month, lots of illness inbetween and although I have been pretty good grocery shopping-wise I really would like to get 'back on track' again.
    I am going to set £145 for June,please, (me, 2 kids and 2 cats) although if my DD comes home from Uni earlier than expected beg of July I might have to revise that a bit s she eats like a horse despite being a size 8! I have a freezer that is bursting and some of it has been there months, so my initial plan is to use as much out of there as I can this month (can give it a good clean too) and just add store cupboard items I already have such as my huge sacks of rice and pasta! I think my kids are in for an interesting month as I come up with some new recipes lol!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
    • Downsizing _for_sanity
    • By Downsizing _for_sanity 29th May 10, 10:22 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Downsizing _for_sanity
    Please could you put me down for £275 target for June? We were quite a bit under budget last month, even at a lower than normal level of £200, but OH was working away for three weeks so there was no branded cereal bought etc! My month started today and will be a 5 week month for us, but that will even out a bit in July. We only needed a few bits to make meals out of what is left in the fridge and freezer, so £26.25 spent already today, no doubt we will need milk and some more fruit on Monday but I've decided to not buy stuff til I definitely need it. For example, we have grapes, satsumas and bananas in the house but only 2 apples left. Normally I would go to Tesco or Aldi just for them as OH likes them in his packed lunch but hey, he can take grapes and satsumas for a change! No point them going manky in the fridge.

Today's spend would have been even lower but I spent £6 on two bunches of flowers for the house - to congratulate myself for last month really! - and we needed bottled water as the builders round the corner fractured the water main and OH got Evian at £2.99 for six !!! instead of Tesco Value! I nearly fainted

My reasons are really that I've seen a lovely house for sale, which we can afford - just - but it's absolutely the top end of our budget and so in a round about way I'm trying to demonstrate we could afford to buy it if we tightened our belts for a bit.

Good luck to all for June! We haven't bought any bags of salad for 6 weeks now that things are growing, and the chickies are laying, so that's a 'free' meal of quiche or omelette and salad once or twice a week!

Sorry for the essay - I'm getting a bit excited with a shiny new month!

DFS xx
  • 4kids4cats
    My month started yesterday and I've done my first main shop so have updated sig. Going to try really hard to stick to one main shop a week, not several smaller ones, because I seem to spend more. Going to try really hard for more NSDs too though this week, being half-term, that's not going to be so easy!
    I like the feeling of a shiny new month too.

• barneydee
    • By barneydee 30th May 10, 6:43 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    barneydee
    back again
    Hi everyone I would like to rejoin the challenge again as at the moment my grocery spending has gone through the roof I would like to start on the 1st of June so can you put me down for £300.00 I know it is an expensive month in june as we have lots of birthdays hopefully in July we can cut it down quite a bit more, tomorrow I am going to do some batch cooking and cake making ,my cupboards are fit to burst so are the fridge and freezer I have just got to get more organized with the meal planning.
    • winterfrost
    • By winterfrost 30th May 10, 8:02 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    winterfrost
    Ok, after being terrible and failing miserably in all MSE activities last month (I even had to take money out of my tiny ISA to tide me over ), things are hopefully becoming a bit more settled and I am going to try again. I've found out that the way I work best is to take out money for everything at the start of the week, and not touch my bank account after that.

In light of this, I'm now including toiletries and going out in my GC budget. It is also a bit higher as I decided it is better health and stress wise to buy lunch at work (I always get a decent salad there, which I would never bother with at home, and it's nice to go up to the canteen and get a break at lunchtime). So, for June, please put me down for £210. That is £50 per week but £60 this week as I had already agreed to go out for dinner before hauling myself back on the wagon.
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Well it is tipping it down here -so a day indoors x-stitching and going on the wii sounds like the order of the day -hubby is in a golf competition so I hope he has better weather...
    I weighed in this morning and have got rid of another 3lb -so thats 1st9lbs in 6 weeks and *mumble mumble* left to shift ..
    KITTY -if you want to SW recipe swap, just let me know-I got quite a few of their books when I started and Im working my way through them...and have yet to find one we don't like . This is my 1st time on SW (well apart from when I was 14) -I have always pretty much done WW -can lose loads, but can't keep it off -the SW way seems much easier and not like a diet at all ..
    I have found though that I think I have an intolerence to yeast -I have always been a carbohydrate junky (home made bread being my biggest weakness)anyway -I didn't have any bread for the 1st 4 weeks of SW and then made my baguette dough to make a SW pizza -and it gave me the mother of all headaches -I know its not the flour..so yeast it must be... I used to get a bit of a headache when I had home made bread -but after going without and then having a wee bit, it really hit me -so I won't be doing that again in a hurry -still it should make losing weight easier

Well on the GC front -I know our spends are going up (still as my mamma always used to say "you can't buy a new belly" ) -I reckon if I allow €50 a week it should be plenty ..well it had better be as I want to carry on saving the rest of the housekeeping
    I will need to nip for a few bits on Tuesday evening-but that will have given me 6 NSDS in a row...
    Today Im doing roast chicken dinner -when hubby gets in, so for my lunch Im having SW Indian curried pork pattie (left over from last night) with salad and cold steamed potatoes (did extra last night too )

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • becky170
    • By becky170 30th May 10, 9:24 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 4,396 Thanks
    becky170
    Thanks for the new thread! Can I be put down for £130 this month? Not sure if this is realistic as my mum and dad are visiting for a week at the end of the month, but we'll see.... Good luck everyone!
    MFW 2019 #7 £1175/1615
  • KITTY
    [QUOTE=MRSMCAWBER;33298393]I weighed in this morning and have got rid of another 3lb -so thats 1st9lbs in 6 weeks and *mumble mumble* left to shift ..
    KITTY -if you want to SW recipe swap, just let me know-I got quite a few of their books when I started and Im working my way through them...and have yet to find one we don't like . This is my 1st time on SW (well apart from when I was 14) -I have always pretty much done WW -can lose loads, but can't keep it off -the SW way seems much easier and not like a diet at all ..QUOTE]

MRSMCAWBER - Thanks for the offer I would appreciate that. Unfortunately this isn't my first time to the party and I know the SW plan works. My problem has always been I let life distract me and then I get lazy and fall back into the old habits
    I could do with a kick up the bum occassionally to keep myself motivated as this will be a long haul. I too have a fair amount to lose (I speak mumble ) and having someone to share ideas with would be great. I have just bought the 40 years recipe collection - do you have that one? Haven't tried anything yet but would like to do a couple this week. Any recommendations?

Anyway the GC is taking a battering with all the extra fresh food I am buying. Hopefully this will calm down if I can get some lettuce, tomato and veg plants this weekend. Not sure whether to count these in the GC total or take from my pocket money - will decide later.

Best wishes all, K

Merry Christmas
    • LINKYPIE2009
    • By LINKYPIE2009 30th May 10, 10:36 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    LINKYPIE2009
    Morning all,

Really gotta get my OS hat back on - and what better way to start then with the GC. £200 for me please. That's £50 per week - should be more than adequate!
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 30th May 10, 10:48 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    ....will miss the Boots points though - they paid for DHs razors every month at the least.
    Originally posted by earthmother
    I have it on very good authority, that MrT value ones are as good as any branded-- disposable or blade.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• highland fling
    Hi everyone,

can't believe we're nearly half way through the year already. Please can you put Highland Fling down for £160 for June Mrs. Mc.

Have iced some buns I baked last night. Wonder how long they will last!
    Having scampi for dinner today as I am trying to use up random items from freezer.

Have been out planting more livingstone daisies in front garden this morning. Front garden gets the sun until late afternoon and they look glorious for most of the day. Brother gave me loads of bedding plants as he brings them on in his green houses. Other brother gives me loads of produce from his allotment. So I am truly spoiled.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 30th May 10, 11:57 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    well ive been doing a spot of baking this morning choc-chip muffins Have now got to get the roast prepared. have a good day everyone.
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 30th May 10, 12:58 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Just updated siggy for the first time this month

DH has just arrived back from the shops and spent £20.20. TBH i wasn`t expecting that much but he bought quite a few bits for his next fishing trip so it would only have been bought next week instead.

I shall probably need to get more milk and some dog and cat food soon but not a bad start. In fact may nip out later for the animal bits and bobs as i have a £2 voucher for dog food.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • Sunny Donny
    Hi All
    Did the walk round town shopping yesterday so spent £60 on the shopping from Mr S, Mr T, Lidl and market. Recovering from night out today, so taking it easy roast lamb in the oven so when the footy has finished, sunday dinner will be served.
    Does anyone have a recipe to use up a jar of out of date marmalade - ie marmalade cake/buns etc.
    seems a waste to throw it!!

Thanks

Sunny Donny
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
    • NJW69
    • By NJW69 30th May 10, 2:37 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 2,559 Thanks
    NJW69
    I went to M&S this afternoon after seeing a post about the dine in for £10 and 25% of wine when you buy six bottles both working together.

Planned to buy 6 lots but they didn't have much in so just got it once and then got five other bottles of wine to get the extra 25% off and also got the 3 lots of meat for £10.

Got some jersey potatoes for £1.00 on whoopsie as they are 50% off at the moment and were half that. No way would you pay £3.99 for 500g however nice they are .

So taking the alcohol off as I don't include that in my grocery bill I spent £17.25.

Will update signature now.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 30th May 10, 2:59 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 18,580 Thanks
    Courgette
    Hi,

Can I join please?! This'll be my first month of really sticking to a budget rather than just trying to not spend so much. Last month we spent £340 which is absolutely extortionate - there's no way we eat well enough to spend all that. For that amount we should be having yummy cheese and booze and other great things. Anyhoo, had a good chat with hubby and we're gonna go for £200 for June. Yes, this is a big drop but he's completely on board so we'll suck it and see really.

So... £200 for June please!

Oh, forgot to say: there's 2 adults, a 12 year old and a baby due August Just done a massive Sains online shop too so I'll start the month today. I got a £10 off voucher but am including delivery charge in the budget too. Fridge/freezer and pantry are full to bursting (although rather annoyingly I did forget to buy fresh tomatoes, ah well)

Thanks!
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off
    Mortgage 1: £95,000 £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 30th May 10, 3:05 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,130 Thanks
    boultdj
    Spent $25.26 today between Mr.s + butcher's and still forgot the bread!! OH well look like having a baking afternoon then.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hi Guys!

Can you put us down for £40pw. I have loads in, so will just be top ups but will allow a little more as OH not able to go to the shops, so will be milkman or corner shop for needed items. It should include a couple of take-aways too if needed.

Thanks

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter