Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 17th Jun 19, 12:49 PM
    • 730Posts
    • 118Thanks
    OceanSound
    Marbles credit card additional payment and direct debit payment
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:49 PM
    Marbles credit card additional payment and direct debit payment 17th Jun 19 at 12:49 PM
    I have a statemented balance on Marbles card of 1127.57 with due date 20 June 2019. Have a DD setup with M&S bank. it's one of the two DD's I have with them to qualify for the 10.00 gift card top-up. Probably strictly not necessary that it pays out, but I'd rather it did just to keep it active.

Anyway, my marbles statement says:
    Your Direct Debit of 11.28, excluding any overlimit amount
    due, will be taken on or immediately after 20 Jun 2019.
    I want to clear the full balance. Today when I went to pay the full balance minus DD amount, which is 1127.57 - 11.28 = 1116.26

there was a message on screen saying:
    If you make the payment at least 3 working days before your due date, we will reduce the amount of your direct debit by the same amount.
    Does this mean if I make a payment 1116.26 today (17 June 2019), the DD for 11.28 will still be taken on or around 20th June, or does it mean the Direct debit will not be taken because I've made more than the minimum payment?

The marbles FAQ says this:
    Your payment must have cleared by the due date that appears on your statement. Please note that if you pay by Direct Debit and make additional payments before your payment due date, your Direct Debit may be reduced.
    I've noticed that, if we make payment manually (by debit card) marbles takes the actual payment date to be the transaction date. This I noticed when I made payment to clear balance in April 2019. Balance was 408.29. I made payment by debit card on 02 April 2019. The April statement has transaction with description 'payment', amount = 408.29. Most significantly it has the actual date when i made the payment = 02 April 2019.

So, it seems I can even make the payment for 1116.26 on 19 June 2019 by debit card and it will be fine. That way the DD for 11.28 will be collected and the manual payment can be an additional payment to clear the full balance.

Although, I do feel a bit like playing with fire, leaving payment until last minute. Does anyone know if I make additional payment for 1116.26 today, the DIrect debit will definitely be reduced or would it not be collected at all?
Page 2
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 20th Aug 19, 6:43 AM
    • 6,257 Posts
    • 4,160 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    It should do yes.

But why would you want to do that?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 20th Aug 19, 7:42 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    OceanSound
    It should do yes.

But why would you want to do that?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    You are correct. In terms of taking back control it makes no sense.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

1,961Users online

Martin's Twitter