Claim or not on Car Insurance

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You decide on what you want to do and get it progressed

(Which side is offering you cash instead of repairs,?)
  • jrs101
    jrs101 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You decide on what you want to do and get it progressed

(Which side is offering you cash instead of repairs,?)

My insurance company is offering both (assessor from ins co)

I dont get how a repair can be made if its %73 of value of car?
  • Quentin
    Options
    It's up to the insurer to decide how to deal with s claim
  • jrs101
    Options
    It's up to the insurer to decide how to deal with s claim

So if I've got this right, I have disclosed it as I understand one has to do that by law after an accident. They have deemed it as a non fault to me, I'm yet to claim but I understand my premiums for the next 3/5 years will be higher irrespective of if I claim or not ??
  • Quentin
    Options
    It's possible as your profile and history has changed

You can get an idea of what difference it makes to your premium now by doing dummy quotes online with and without the incident in your history
  • jrs101
    Options
    It's possible as your profile and history has changed

You can get an idea of what difference it makes to your premium now by doing dummy quotes online with and without the incident in your history

How is it possible?

Surely if I claim, the cost of getting insurance next time has to be more than if I had only reported it as an accident?
    Are you saying it would be higher by the same amount if claiming or not? It is just plain wrong. Why on earth would one report it as an accident? Its clearly flawed.
  • Quentin
    Options
    jrs101 wrote: »
    How is it possible?

Surely if I claim, the cost of getting insurance next time has to be more than if I had only reported it as an accident?
    Are you saying it would be higher by the same amount if claiming or not? It is just plain wrong. Why on earth would one report it as an accident? Its clearly flawed.
    I was answering your question in your post #15

But didn't say that did I?

(Presumably when you say it's an "accident" you are meaning a loss you experienced but now don't want to make a claim for?)

If you put in a claim then it's not a "loss"

If you don't, then it's a "loss"

It will have to be disclosed whatever route you now take as you have reported this already to your insurer

Either way expect an impact on your future premium - and as suggested you can get an idea by doing dummy quotes with and without this in your history (do it as a loss if you aren't intending making a claim, as a claim if you intend claiming)
  • jrs101
    Options
    I was answering your question in your post #15

But didn't say that did I?
    (Presumably when you say it's an "accident" you are meaning a loss you experienced but now don't want to make a claim for?)
    If you put in a claim then it's not a "loss"
    If you don't, then it's a "loss"
    It will have to be disclosed whatever route you now take as you have reported this already to your insurer
    Either way expect an impact on your future premium - and as suggested you can get an idea by doing dummy quotes with and without this in your history (do it as a loss if you aren't intending making a claim, as a claim if you intend claiming)

In case there are cross wires, I'm just trying to see the best next step as it were.

I've not experienced anything, as yet, other than stress as my insurer has been quite frankly useless.
    The dummy quote thing i assume I can just put in factitious details to a degree?
    Its just plain wrong as i say and its flawed. If its a case of cost going up next time if i claim then Im tempted to not bother and try "arrange" a settlement with him privately if thats possible!!
  • Quentin
    Options
    As posted previously as you have now reported this to your insurer you will have it on your record so must disclose this in future (either as a claim or a loss) to any other Insurers you approach for quotes
  • jrs101
    Options
    As posted previously as you have now reported this to your insurer you will have it on your record so must disclose this in future (either as a claim or a loss) to any other Insurers you approach for quotes

Given you have the details what would you do?

If I claim off the third party insurer how does that work? What pitfalls, if any, do I need to be aware of?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure