Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 18th Aug 19, 3:10 PM
    • 1,669Posts
    • 1,454Thanks
    holidaysforme
    0 WOW
    Week in the sun on my own
    • 18th Aug 19, 3:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Week in the sun on my own 18th Aug 19 at 3:10 PM
    So I have a week off unexpectedly at the end of August/beginning of September. I am able to avail of reward flights with Avios to Corfu, Malaga, faro or Malta.
    I have gone on short city breaks on my own, but never a week long beach holiday.

A few questions: firstly where would you go, where do you think is best for a lone female traveller, and does anyone have any reccomendations for where to stay in any of these countries, which resorts etc. . I just want a chilled want a week in the sun,- a few nice beaches, a hotel /apartment with a pool, and maybe a half board option, rather than having to eat out alone every night.

Also, like it to be near public transport so I could have a couple of day trips. Budget for a week not loads. I would say about £700 for accomadation and spending money.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 18th Aug 19, 3:40 PM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 18th Aug 19, 3:40 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 3:40 PM
    A week in the sun on your own sound absolute heaven. I have been a couple of times to port de soller in Mallorca but not on my own though it has always been my dream place to go on my own to.
    It is very quiet and safe there too.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 18th Aug 19, 3:49 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 18th Aug 19, 3:49 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 3:49 PM
    Algarve - cheap and sunny
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 18th Aug 19, 3:58 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    • 18th Aug 19, 3:58 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 3:58 PM
    Algarve - cheap and sunny
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Any suggestions to what part.Iíve been looking at Alvor.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 18th Aug 19, 4:29 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 18th Aug 19, 4:29 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 4:29 PM
    I have a timeshare in Carvoeiro, love the area.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 18th Aug 19, 5:53 PM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    z1a
    • 18th Aug 19, 5:53 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 5:53 PM
    IMO Vilamoura or Praia Da Rocha are the best 2 resorts.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Aug 19, 6:40 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 18th Aug 19, 6:40 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 6:40 PM
    I think you might have a problem with your budget, travelling over the Bank Holiday.
    Best to find accommodation within your price range and go from there.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 18th Aug 19, 7:17 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    • 18th Aug 19, 7:17 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 7:17 PM
    Algarve seems popular. Flights are decent times as well. Think Corfu is my second choice as hotels seems pretty reasonable. Will have to make a decision soon, donít want the flights dissapearing.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 18th Aug 19, 7:22 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    • 18th Aug 19, 7:22 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 7:22 PM
    I think you might have a problem with your budget, travelling over the Bank Holiday.
    Best to find accommodation within your price range and go from there.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Good point. Itís still school hols as well! Iíve found well reviewed decently priced accommodation in Corfu(£350 for a one bed apartment) and similar price for alvor.would leave me with about the same again for spending money. Should be doable for a fairly low key week for one person.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Aug 19, 8:05 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Good point. Itís still school hols as well! Iíve found well reviewed decently priced accommodation in Corfu(£350 for a one bed apartment) and similar price for alvor.would leave me with about the same again for spending money. Should be doable for a fairly low key week for one person.
    Originally posted by holidaysforme
    Don't neglect transport to and fro accommodation. Travel light.
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 19th Aug 19, 2:19 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    engineer amy
    I went to Benalmadena (Malaga airport) a few years ago on my own, and stayed in an H10 hotel, relatively inexpensive.
    The airport is close to the resort and I just jumped in a taxi to the hotel it wasn't that expensive- im sure you could arrange transfers in advance for a good bit cheaper.
    its got a beach, a harbour with lots of nice restaurants and bars, shopping area, and I think the hotel had adverts for day trips to Gibraltar etc so plenty to do.
    Mortgage = £113,495 (May 2009) £67462.74 Jun 2019
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 19th Aug 19, 3:05 PM
    • 5,261 Posts
    • 4,325 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I went to Benalmadena (Malaga airport) a few years ago on my own, and stayed in an H10 hotel, relatively inexpensive.
    The airport is close to the resort and I just jumped in a taxi to the hotel it wasn't that expensive- im sure you could arrange transfers in advance for a good bit cheaper.
    its got a beach, a harbour with lots of nice restaurants and bars, shopping area, and I think the hotel had adverts for day trips to Gibraltar etc so plenty to do.
    Originally posted by engineer amy
    If I ever need any last minute sunshine then Malaga is usually my first choice as there are usually(*) loads of cheap flights, plentiful accommodation in the resorts near the airport and it's easy to get around by public transport - Malaga City it worth a day trip and is only 30 mins away by train. Personally, I prefer Fuengirola over Benalmadena but both a fine when travelling on your own. There are so many bars and restaurants to choose from that I would only ever book B&B.

(*) - though a Bank Holiday weekend during the school holidays doesn't count as "normal"
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 19th Aug 19, 7:58 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    Originally posted by engineer amy
    Sounds right up my street. Iíl check out the hotel.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 19th Aug 19, 8:03 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    If I ever need any last minute sunshine then Malaga is usually my first choice as there are usually(*) loads of cheap flights, plentiful accommodation in the resorts near the airport and it's easy to get around by public transport - Malaga City it worth a day trip and is only 30 mins away by train. Personally, I prefer Fuengirola over Benalmadena but both a fine when travelling on your own. There are so many bars and restaurants to choose from that I would only ever book B&B.

(*) - though a Bank Holiday weekend during the school holidays doesn't count as "normal"
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Luckily I am using reward flights, so no cost there. Iím going to investigate resorts close to Malaga. Thanks for the tips.
    • PaisleyStars
    • By PaisleyStars 20th Aug 19, 6:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    PaisleyStars
    I'm a solo female traveller just reaching the end of four weeks on Corfu on my own. It's definitely the safest feeling place I've visited in a long time. If you can, find accommodation in Corfu Town (Hotel Atlantis springs to mind as a reasonably cheap option) or on a blue bus (Corfu City Bus) route (e.g. Gouvia, Dassia, Kanoni...) as that will bring costs right down.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 21st Aug 19, 4:37 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    I'm a solo female traveller just reaching the end of four weeks on Corfu on my own. It's definitely the safest feeling place I've visited in a long time. If you can, find accommodation in Corfu Town (Hotel Atlantis springs to mind as a reasonably cheap option) or on a blue bus (Corfu City Bus) route (e.g. Gouvia, Dassia, Kanoni...) as that will bring costs right down.
    Originally posted by PaisleyStars
    Thanks for all the tips. Iíll check out the hotel. Have you enjoyed Your time in Corfu? Is the bus service reliable?
    • jimbo6977
    • By jimbo6977 21st Aug 19, 8:43 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    jimbo6977
    Palma de Mallorca is a proper city with a huge variety of accommodation options and comprehensive public transport links to all parts of the island for day trips. For visits within the city the cathedral and royal palace are the obvious choices. The historic train to Soller is a classic day trip. There are also lots of organised excursions available, from water parks to Flamenco evenings eg Son Amar.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 23rd Aug 19, 9:49 PM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Ballard
    Iím a man but have 5 days in Malaga booked for early September, also using Avios. Iíve arranged a days scuba diving and plan to go to Alhambra another day. A bit of sightseeing around town and lazing on beaches will do very nicely thanks.

Thisíll be my first visit there but I think that itíll be good.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • archived user
    It really depends on your personal accommodation standards. If you like a posh hotel, it’s unlikely you’d get much on the budget at this time of year.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 24th Aug 19, 7:55 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    Thanks everyone. All booked. Going to the Algarve fir six nights.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,658Posts Today

8,169Users online

Martin's Twitter