Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 26th Apr 19, 1:39 PM
    • 127Posts
    • 3,124Thanks
    bellabella
    Diamond Earrings
    • 26th Apr 19, 1:39 PM
    Diamond Earrings 26th Apr 19 at 1:39 PM
    Hi I am looking to buy some diamond earrings for my daughter on her wedding day . I would like to spend up to 1750 so i would like some recommendations for some reputable good value jewellers in the central London area . Thank You x
    Having the last laugh
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 26th Apr 19, 1:43 PM
    • 35,526 Posts
    • 41,635 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 26th Apr 19, 1:43 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 1:43 PM
    Hatton garden .... Best place in London
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 27th Apr 19, 9:32 AM
    • 23,351 Posts
    • 63,024 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 27th Apr 19, 9:32 AM
    • 27th Apr 19, 9:32 AM
    Hatton garden .... Best place in London
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    +1 to this ^^^^

But if you're planning this as a gift for your daughter to pass down to her children (I remember your other thread) what if she has boys?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 27th Apr 19, 10:02 AM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 34,464 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 27th Apr 19, 10:02 AM
    • 27th Apr 19, 10:02 AM
    What a beautiful & generous & idea & absolutely next stop Hatton Garden (although other jewellery quarters are available, HG has the rep for diamonds).

May I suggest the earrings are of the lump of rock sort that can be reset as rings or tiepins or hung onto and set into engagement rings etc? Some things can be beautiful but also be reassembled in different configurations, others demand their unique arrangement - and I think in this case there is a case for plural rather smaller stones well set for delight on the day & future 'Ah yes your grandmother wore that on her wedding day' potential.

Have a glorious time selecting & may the day be happy, the marriage likewise & longlasting & future grandchildren (as and when) a delight.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 6th Jun 19, 5:00 AM
    • 4,830 Posts
    • 9,157 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 6th Jun 19, 5:00 AM
    • 6th Jun 19, 5:00 AM
    When I got engaged 23 years ago we went to Hatton Garden and got a custom made engagement and wedding ring. Not only were they individual to me but they were considerably cheaper than anything similar in high street jewellers.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Jun 19, 6:16 AM
    • 23,351 Posts
    • 63,024 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 6th Jun 19, 6:16 AM
    • 6th Jun 19, 6:16 AM
    Yes, I think if I were spending that much on jewellery Hatton Garden would be my first stop - especially as it appears the OP is based in London.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 24th Jul 19, 7:59 PM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 7,195 Thanks
    74jax
    • 24th Jul 19, 7:59 PM
    • 24th Jul 19, 7:59 PM
    My husband bought me diamond earrings, for around 3k.

I Darent wear them. I'm forever losing backs, rubbing my ears and then getting caught in my ears.

Don't get me wrong, I have an expensive diamond in my engagement ring, so it's not that I don't like wearing diamonds etc but it's the likeliness that an ear ring will..... Dislodge.....

I only found out by chance the cost of them as they were a gift. If I didn't know I'm sure id wear them..... And lose a back......
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    • 23,351 Posts
    • 63,024 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 25th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    • 25th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    My husband bought me diamond earrings, for around 3k.

I Darent wear them. I'm forever losing backs, rubbing my ears and then getting caught in my ears.

Don't get me wrong, I have an expensive diamond in my engagement ring, so it's not that I don't like wearing diamonds etc but it's the likeliness that an ear ring will..... Dislodge.....

I only found out by chance the cost of them as they were a gift. If I didn't know I'm sure id wear them..... And lose a back......
    Originally posted by 74jax
    What a pity.
    Could you have them altered so that the back is screw on?
    I have a pair of sapphire and diamond earrings (made & bought in India) that have that fitting. There is no way they would ever come out.
    Or made more secure in some other way?

Or consider having the diamonds made into a ring or pendant?
    It's seems sad that you have an expensive piece of jewellery and are afraid to wear them.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 25th Jul 19, 7:48 PM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 7,195 Thanks
    74jax
    • 25th Jul 19, 7:48 PM
    • 25th Jul 19, 7:48 PM
    What a pity.
    Could you have them altered so that the back is screw on?
    I have a pair of sapphire and diamond earrings (made & bought in India) that have that fitting. There is no way they would ever come out.
    Or made more secure in some other way?

Or consider having the diamonds made into a ring or pendant?
    It's seems sad that you have an expensive piece of jewellery and are afraid to wear them.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Omgoodness polycat I didn't even know that was possible. And yet now you have said it I think how obvious. Thank you so much and I'm going to look into this.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 26th Jul 19, 6:10 AM
    • 23,351 Posts
    • 63,024 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Omgoodness polycat I didn't even know that was possible. And yet now you have said it I think how obvious. Thank you so much and I'm going to look into this.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    If you can, I'd look for a manufacturing jeweller to discuss the options and do any alterations.
    • ekayaimissey
    • By ekayaimissey 28th Jul 19, 5:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ekayaimissey
    You can give a search on google.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Jul 19, 5:56 AM
    • 23,351 Posts
    • 63,024 Thanks
    Pollycat
    ekayaimissey
    You have already had your earlier post advertising this website - which is based in California - removed.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 29th Jul 19, 6:29 PM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 7,195 Thanks
    74jax
    Pollycat. I spoke to husband about my earrings, he said there was an option when he bought them to have them as screw back but him, being a bloke, didn't think anything of it.

I've contacted them to see if they can change the back - not replace I know you can't do that with earrings, and just waiting to hear back....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

5,463Users online

Martin's Twitter