Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 27th Nov 18, 5:03 AM
    • 103Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    TIF Group - High Court, Martin Lewis likely witness, the Times legal suit vs TIF
    • 27th Nov 18, 5:03 AM
    TIF Group - High Court, Martin Lewis likely witness, the Times legal suit vs TIF 27th Nov 18 at 5:03 AM
    Appalling story from Turkey but we see reports from Crete, Vietnam, S America and SE Asia a lot as well.
    TIF Group (Travel Insurance Facilities based in Kings Hill Kent)

Husband returns to the hospital on day two - turns out he has SEPSIS and his organs start to shut down. Ends up in intensive care (ICU)....the hospital says it will not accept TIF Group insurance (Alpha, Holidaysafe, Covered2Go, Insuracewith etc - see UK1 post) because "THEY OWE TOO MUCH MONEY".

The bottom line is that wife decided that is was better to pay HERSELF for an air ambulance costing £27k back to the UK rather than the hospital take him off the ventilator delaying the flight and racking up more bills without insurance since the hospital would not talk with TIF because they owe "too much money" they say. This tallies with a recent TripAdvisor report saying no hospital would accept TIF in Turkey.

WORSE STILL, and it alludes to what is in the FCA dossier the Times referred to, TIF tried to invalidate her out of her policy. They told her, in the middle of this nightmare, that the policy was invalid because it was a "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION".....is that so? Sepsis.....I think you would find he would be dead or are we just stupid policyholders. Astonishing isn't it.

Similar story in Thailand around the same time. We will ignore TIF trying to move the man to another hospital. The doctor objected saying his heart attack could really kill him. Surprise, surprise...The hospital REFUSED THE POLICY saying they were owed money going back several years. The copy of the letter is out there on the Times Twitter. Threatened with the police for non-payment. TIF were not finished though....tried for FOUR days to make him fly home economy but relented on day four.

On their arrival back home...sent flowers.

We are hearing on other sites that the Whistleblower said to the FCA that Thai hospitals wrote to the Britsh Embassy trying to get TIF banned from SE Asia. We have seen unpaid bills from Singapore with one poor fellow being pursued by the hospital despite TIF saying in emails it had been paid....elsewhere in the world too and we read the other day Crete and Vietnam added to the growing global list.

We also see people moved from a hospital WITH an operating facility to one where TIF was told was full....UNOPERATED ON FOR 13 DAY....ANOTHER 11 days in Malaysia.

I want to see this dossier I must say. Perhaps people who have had similar experiences should report them to the regulator. That was advice of the CEO of Which I believe on her seeing these reports.
    Last edited by Mark Bedford; 24-04-2019 at 2:16 PM. Reason: added word
Page 6
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 22nd May 19, 10:44 PM
    • 40,488 Posts
    • 24,518 Thanks
    Quentin
    Just seen another "brand" I was not aware of.

What has Vitamin D got to do with a spinal tumor?....is this not a breach of insurance law. Any lawyers on MSE?

TOP NOTCH INSURANCE. Avoid this holiday insurance company at all costs. My wife was diagnosed with a spinal tumour and they refused to pay up saying that because she was being treated for vitamin D deficiency and we never put it on the application we would not be paid. (one of the symptoms was back ache) they list so many things on the application with no time limit that if you become ill they can just refuse to pay out. i would give them no stars for a rating but i cant.
    Originally posted by Mark Bedford
    In your latest bump you ask for lawyers to answer what Vitamin D deficiency has to do with a spinal tumour???

Maybe a medically qualified person would be more appropriate to answer you.

Or Google it!

(Vitamin D deficiency can cause cancer)

(Bumps not allowed on this forum)
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 28th May 19, 10:54 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TLJ201
    https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2019/1337.html
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 29th May 19, 8:32 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    Not merely do I take into account the fact that this article raises serious issues which the editor has seen fit to place on the front page of a serious newspaper, it is obvious from the content and language of the piece that there exists a significant body of evidence in support – the 40,000-word dossier; the individual case studies; the contribution of the whistle blower etc. It is unclear at what stage the GMC and FCA investigations have reached, and it is possible that one of both of these regulators could dismiss the complaints for want of evidence, but that is not how a reasonable reader without intimate knowledge of the relevant procedures would understand the issue. The bare fact that regulators are in the process of investigating these matters is a clear indication that they are or may be serious.
    "There are strong grounds to suspect that the Claimant failed to repatriate Mr Martin Blake and failed to repatriate Ms Joan Rest by plane, both in circumstances where it should have done. Further, there are strong grounds to suspect that it has acted similarly in a number of other cases. There are also strong grounds to suspect that these are examples of a pattern of practice in delaying, avoiding or minimising payments due in relation to medical claims under travel insurance policies."
    (1) There are strong grounds to suspect that the Claimant failed to follow doctors' advice in moving Ms Goodman from the hospital she was in, and that this failure caused her death.
    (2) There are strong grounds to suspect that Ms Goodman's death was not an isolated incident, that other patients have been treated in a similar way with similar consequences, and that the Claimant's failures flowed from a pattern of practice as previously defined.
    Wow. This is only based on the evidence The Times could get hold of. The FCA and GMC are much further reaching. The writing really is on the wall for our friends over in Kent.
    Last edited by JoycieB; 29-05-2019 at 8:34 AM. Reason: Added quote
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 29th May 19, 7:31 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TLJ201
    Their ad promoting their "Philosophies - states "The future is ours"

Let's hope not.

There"s also a couple of reviews on glassdoor from (former) employees
    Entitled:
    1. "Just horrible"
    2. "Most horrible and toxic place to work - Avoid"
    I can only imagine.
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 31st May 19, 12:29 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TLJ201
    13 hours ago Trustpilot - Alpha Travel Insurance

I'm not permitted to post the actual link. NO CONTACT AVAILABLE ON THE 24/7 EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE LINE.

Here is the review

"Does this company even exist?!!

I am currently in hospital in Mexico and have been unable to get hold of the emergency number. Furthermore, NONE of the contact numbers listed appear to work - they just hung up instantly. My medical bills are racking up and eventually I will be left unable to pay for any further care.!

I shall be reporting this company to the financial ombudsman and will take my story to the national news & media unless my emails are responded to!!! "

HOW CAN THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS?
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 31st May 19, 1:17 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Alpha Travel Insurance emergency line not picked up - ANOTHER report
    Part of a repeated pattern of reports - week after week. Below is another instance.

"I am absolutely disgusted by your service, my mother took a fall in the airport while getting ready to board the plane home & had to go to hospital in Tenerife on Saturday 25 May ,,,, i called your so called 24:7 hotline got no answer but did leave a voicemail,,, I kept trying for nearly 12 hours to get through to you but got no answer. I have been in an absolute state trying to help my mother who ended up having to get a total hip replacement in a foreign hospital,, we are still here now,,, I would not recommend your services to anyone".
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 31st May 19, 7:26 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Another TIF policy (Explorer Travel) Egypt emergency call
    From six days ago.

Absolutely dreadful operation. My wife has been on hold now for most of the day waiting for an answer from their so-called 'emergency' line while her mother recovers from emergency surgery after an accident in Egypt. A disgrace. You get what you pay for - do not use this mob.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 4th Jun 19, 9:47 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    An article appeared in The Times a few days ago when an NHS Manager took care in choosing a comprehensive travel policy which relied on TIF claims handling for her pre-existing needs. She required emergency treatment and went to the nearest hospital having tried to contact TIF Emergency line. TIF didn't answer or return calls and having taken care as an experienced NHS manager to choose the policy she felt wisely she found out too late that TIF were claiming that she "wasn't covered" and so she paid her own repatriation costs. Her situation with them TIF is "ongoing".

The Times continue their investigation into fraud at TIF and were asking for people with claims experience to contact them.

More adverse TrustPilot experience over the last few days .....

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.tifgroup.co.uk
    Last edited by uk1; 04-06-2019 at 9:50 AM.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 4th Jun 19, 12:36 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Unless I am mistaken UK1 this was the Sunday Times. Apparently and if I my information is correct TIF told her she would get her insulin on Monday on Friday. She was type 1 diabetic. She was so terrified at this and other issues she flew herself out. People must understand that the Greek system is totally different. In one TIF case the man was not watered or changed for 24 hours and the man in the next bed called the wife to say he had fallen out of bed. He had a broken back which was then after many days operated on in a six and a half hour operation to insert a rod down his back. TIF's medical doctor did not call for 23 days and then asked him to exercise on the sun lounge to see if it was painful and he could fly economy. That was of course they asked to leave hospital in a taxi. He could not fit in the back so they put the front seat down and he lay back.

Just thought I would add that little bit for you. I wonder what Quentin thinks? Thank you UK1.
    Last edited by Mark Bedford; 04-06-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Jun 19, 1:26 PM
    • 40,488 Posts
    • 24,518 Thanks
    Quentin
    From six days ago.

Absolutely dreadful operation. My wife has been on hold now for most of the day waiting for an answer from their so-called 'emergency' line while her mother recovers from emergency surgery after an accident in Egypt. A disgrace. You get what you pay for - do not use this mob.
    Originally posted by Mark Bedford
    Advise your wife as follows:

Whenever you are not happy with your insurance company the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 4th Jun 19, 4:51 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    What do you do if youíre relying on them liaising with the hospital, paying the hospital bills and organising repatriation, Quentin? If your life depended on it, as it did in one case reported by The Times?

Make a complaint and then go to the ombudsman? Could do, but unfortunately youíre now dead and the ombudsman canít help.

Pull £20k out your !!!! and do it yourself?

Maybe, just maybe, people are trying to do something right now to avoid anyone being in that situation.

Not you, though.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Jun 19, 5:15 PM
    • 40,488 Posts
    • 24,518 Thanks
    Quentin
    If you aren't happy with the complaints procedure for dealing with insurance companies that I suggested for Mrs Bedford to use please don't shoot the messenger

That is how it currently works when you are unhappy with your insurer
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 5th Jun 19, 6:42 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TLJ201
    While technically Quentin is right and there are procedures to follow, it is only in a perfect world that would happen.
    From personal experience
    Tif world is anything but perfect.
    Things worth remembering.
    Everyone who takes out a policy does so in good faith believing that in a worst case scenario they will be covered and assisted. Many have been shocked to the core when they realise that's not going to happen.
    Tif have demonstrated a distinct lack of customer care.
    Reviews state that they,
    Fail to answer the 24/7 emergency line
    Lie to you, Mislead you.
    Avoid contact with attending medics
    Over rule attending medics
    Obstruct and ignore.
    Dont reply to emails
    Lose paperwork or deny they've ever received it.
    Generally make life as difficult as possible adding to the stress of already extremely stressful situations.
    And finally use the FOS as a final stalling tactic knowing that the service is virtually powerless to make them do anything they don't want to.

I experienced all the above and more besides.
    I would suggest that Quentin has fortunately never been in a similar situation and so cannot empathise. There's no shooting the messenger here, but I am disappointed with your stance. The people on this thread with actual dealings with Tifgroup fully get it. They are shockingly aware of their own cases, which have been so bad they are actively seeking change in order to prevent future unsuspecting people treading a similar path. Nothing can change their experiences, there is no financial gain either. I am very grateful to all who are working on this and seeking to put a stop to it.

I only hope that action is taken soon.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 5th Jun 19, 7:02 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    The TIF challenge for Quentin - FCA action
    Quentin. A challenge for you.

The range of outcomes for Richard Smith and others is total exoneration as an upstanding member of the financial community or prosection, a lifetime ban and a massive crippling fine by the FCA which they dish out on a regular basis. The question is which?

Quentin; if Richard Smith (TIF CEO) is exonerated I will never write on this forum again. If he is, to use a George Osbourne phrase, already a dead man walking and gets a lifetime ban from financial services and a fine in excess of £500k and prosecution by the FCA will you agree never to write here again.

If Richard Smith is a model citizen and exonerated by the FCA which he may well be Quentin I will uphold my end of the offer. If not and he is banned for life then you uphold my offer. Only the FCA knows whether young Richard is in big trouble or not. The question is - do you accept my bet Quentin?
    • uk1
    • By uk1 5th Jun 19, 11:34 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    I only hope that action is taken soon.
    Originally posted by TLJ201
    If a known burglar became aware that the police were onto his case and were closely observing his every move, then a sensible burglar would curtail their activities and ensure that they stopped breaking into houses and did nothing to bring attention to themselves.

TIF however, in spite of all the attention from the press, FCO, Ombudsman and Police still continue it seems unconcerned that no harm will come to the company or the individuals managing the company. This must mean that either that what they are doing is perfectly legitimate and they have nothing to fear, or that they are confident that even though all of the relevant authorities are on their case no harm will come to them. That doesn't bode well for consumer protection.

What is also extremely disheartening is that well known and respected organisations in whom consumers place their confidence and trust continue to rebadge their products or use TIF claims handling services knowing what is happening to their customers.

At the same time, in spite of all the irrefutable evidence some seem to never miss an opportunity to have a pop at.

I think most people think it good that forums like this become a place to share information as best we can so as to insure as many people make informed decisions about what insurers are trustworthy or not and would welcome and support those who care sufficiently about others in order to warn them not to risk getting themselves into life changing - and life ending, situations.

More poor customer reviews in the last few hours ...

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.tifgroup.co.uk

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.puffininsurance.com
    • uk1
    • By uk1 5th Jun 19, 11:46 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    Make a complaint and then go to the ombudsman? Could do, but unfortunately you’re now dead and the ombudsman can’t help.

Pull £20k out your !!!! and do it yourself?

Maybe, just maybe, people are trying to do something right now to avoid anyone being in that situation.

Not you, though.
    Originally posted by JoycieB
    A few days ago I received a call from an Ombudsman investigator that a case that was notified last July has only just been opened and read by the investigator who has requested more information.

A recent smallish money-claim taken through the Court process has taken nearly three years to reach court and has been adjourned following further directions.

These procedures have nothing to offer TIF customers abroad needing medical urgent support from their insurer and are totally irrelevant.
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 6th Jun 19, 7:50 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TLJ201
    !TIF however, in spite of all the attention from the press, FCO, Ombudsman and Police still continue it seems unconcerned that no harm will come to the company or the individuals managing the company. This must mean that either that what they are doing is perfectly legitimate and they have nothing to fear, or that they are confident that even though all of the relevant authorities are on their case no harm will come to them. That doesn't bode well for consumer protection.!

Yes it's really odd. In my opinion - The very least they are is ULTRA TERRIBLE at Customer Care, I think there's enough reviews to show I'm not alone in thinking that. The stories warrant investigating fully.
    If the FCA are happy with Tif then God help us all.
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 6th Jun 19, 7:51 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TLJ201
    Sorry, top bit was a quote from UK1
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 6th Jun 19, 2:10 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    My case was opened in August last year. Decision was made in April, which TIF rejected after the deadline they were set. Still open as we speak.

I made a complaint to the ombudsman regarding them being lazily misled and getting so many facts wrong, not caring about deadlines when applied to TIF. More out of interest as to how they would deal with it. They doubled down on their rank performance and even got most of the complaint details wrong, including who was actually the investigator.

Not holding out an awful lot of hope for the appeal.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 7th Jun 19, 8:23 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Travelinsurance4medical (Tifgroup)
    Here we go again- from TrustPilot

My mother was very ill whilst on holiday and taken by ambulance to hospital. The doctors at the hospital said this insurance was not very good and it only covered her for day cases and not for staying over night . So she had to be discharged still very ill and go back every day to be checked over. The doctors and hospital admin looked over this insurance and said donít ever use them again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,515Posts Today

7,139Users online

Martin's Twitter