Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 3rd May 11, 9:28 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    MoneySaving Weddings Article Discussion
    • 3rd May 11, 9:28 PM
    MoneySaving Weddings Article Discussion 3rd May 11 at 9:28 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the updated article:

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click the reply button.

For more wedding tips, check out the 'What I wish I'd known before my wedding' Great Hunt or
    click here to read the old discussion.
    Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 04-07-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 6
    • GarryRendall
    • By GarryRendall 8th Jan 19, 2:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GarryRendall
    Don't Forget Power
    I would also like to remind your readers to remember your power supply if you are having an outdoor wedding. You will be surprised at how many people remember power supply at the eleventh hour. I work with outdoor weddings and super silent generators are perfect to power your event.
    • BridgeBridge
    • By BridgeBridge 13th Feb 19, 8:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BridgeBridge
    We were married last October and were on a fairly tight budget. As it was in the end we had the most amazing day and evening, with 38 guests, for approx. 2,000. A few tips for keeping the costs low:

- We bought our rings second hand from a reputable shop. Got 2 wide rose gold bands for < 200.
    - My wedding dress was a lovely prom dress costing 123.
    - We made our buttonholes and wedding flowers. Bought fabric flowers from a local store and I watched tutorials on YouTube to learn some tips.
    - We held our wedding reception and evening at Revolution Bar. They had a lovely separate private area upstairs, overlooking the main public bar area. So long as we committed to spending minimum of 500 at the private bar, we had the whole area free all afternoon/evening. As it was we paid for a 2 course meal for guests, which covered the minimum. This mean we didn't need to hire a room somewhere. Nor did we need to hire a disco/band as we were effectively in the same room (but sectioned off) as the general public and the venue had music and DJs (plus a dancefloor).
    - Revolution offer a discount card which I believe cost approx 4. This card gave us 2 for 1 cocktails all day and night.
    - We had 3 x colourful supermarket bought party cakes, which we sprinkled edible butterflies over to spritz them up. No need to splash out on an expensive wedding cake. Most people are full after the reception meal anyway!
    - We made our own wedding favours. I ordered personalised Just Married love hearts from Swizzell. Then ordered fortune cookies from ebay. Made the favour bags ourselves.
    - No need for a photographer, as we asked the guests to take lots of photos an send them to us. We now have a great selection of photos to choose from.
    - We asked for cash. Felt a bit awkward asking, however, everybody agreed it made sense. And in the end the cost of our wedding was paid for in money-gifts.

Hopefully some of these tips might help others out there. Good luck to you all :-)
    Last edited by BridgeBridge; 13-02-2019 at 8:15 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the wedding cake
    • Jennyfish
    • By Jennyfish 22nd May 19, 6:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jennyfish
    Free hotel stays for checking out a venue
    My partner and I have managed to wrangle a couple of free overnight hotel stays to go and visit potential venues that are far away.
    We simply email the wedding coordinator and explain that we'd love to come and see the venue and express interest in a certain package they have to offer, then lament that the venue is too far for us to make it there and back in a day and could they possibly put us up for the night so we can get the full experience of the venue that our guests would be receiving?

It's great to get a really in depth feel for the venue this way. For example the 1st one we loved but when we stayed we realized that it was unsuitable for my disabled relatives and had to sadly turn it down.
    • BenjaG
    • By BenjaG 23rd May 19, 2:37 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    BenjaG
    Design your own wedding album
    If you have the image files (and image rights), then you can create your wedding album yourself, here are some tips on how to make your own wedding album. Doing things this way, might result in a less professional looking wedding album, however, doing it your own way will produce a more personal album and will save you at least 1000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,528Posts Today

7,403Users online

Martin's Twitter