Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • meg72
    • By meg72 8th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    • 5,082Posts
    • 46,072Thanks
    meg72
    eat for 50p a day
    • 8th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    eat for 50p a day 8th Apr 19 at 4:51 PM
    I have just started a challenge to eat for 50p a day. Has anyone done this? or would like to join me? any advice or recipes really appreciated.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 24-04-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    Slimming World at target
Page 2
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 10th Apr 19, 7:31 AM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 13,141 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Good luck to you meg!....a week is definitely doable...but I bet you will be glad when day 8 rolls around!
    • dan958
    • By dan958 10th Apr 19, 9:56 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    dan958
    Check your local supermarkets every day for items that are on the sell by dates. Got one of those 2 person Chinese 'takeaway like' bag meals once for 9p. Ate it that day.
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 10th Apr 19, 11:41 AM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    I can eat for 50p a day & can join you. However most of my food is already in the freezer YS, & veg from the allotment & flour etc in the cupboards.

If I priced it up, for example 2 sausages out of freezer which were YS 16p for 20, would that be cheating? or do I have to go out & buy things?
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved 21,840 so far!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Apr 19, 12:08 PM
    • 66,294 Posts
    • 389,764 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    or do I have to go out & buy things?
    Originally posted by tallyhoh
    I think this is the detail we've not been privvy to yet.

I'd expect that somebody would have 3.50 in their hand and could not touch anything they already have + can't take stuff from their garden, nor take free food from other sources.

Else... everybody could do it by savvy stocking up ahead of time.

Check your local supermarkets every day for items that are on the sell by dates. Got one of those 2 person Chinese 'takeaway like' bag meals once for 9p. Ate it that day.
    Originally posted by dan958
    That's a once in a lifetime opportunity for somebody lucky enough to be near/in the right supermarket, that does those, at the right time... she's doing it for one week! No chance.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 10-04-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 10th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Mistral001
    I think yellow sticker food would be cheating! Some people can eat quite well on yellow sticker food if they are lucky and get there at the right time - and have sharp elbows!
    • dan958
    • By dan958 10th Apr 19, 1:50 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    dan958

That's a once in a lifetime opportunity for somebody lucky enough to be near/in the right supermarket, that does those, at the right time... she's doing it for one week! No chance.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Never hurts to check if you have a supermarket near by!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Apr 19, 6:01 PM
    • 12,015 Posts
    • 32,180 Thanks
    suki1964
    I can eat for 50p a day & can join you. However most of my food is already in the freezer YS, & veg from the allotment & flour etc in the cupboards.

If I priced it up, for example 2 sausages out of freezer which were YS 16p for 20, would that be cheating? or do I have to go out & buy things?
    Originally posted by tallyhoh

This is what I was wondering myself

Yes I can cook meals here for 50p a head per day, but the initial outlay far exceeds the 3.50 a week

Same as some of those challenges, you have to spend a lot more to bring in a 50p a day menu

Thats why I said in my mind its not possible on 3.50 a week per person

Even the Thrifty Lesley website is out of date with prices. There has been no allowance for shrinkflation at all - Asda spuds for example are now 2kg instead of the 2.5kg.. Thats just the one price that jumps out at me
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 32,909 Thanks
    caronc
    Yes I think these things are a little easier if you are able have an initial outlay then "buy" from what you have in, I can & do have days where my meal costs are very little but so much harder if you have 3.50 in your pocket for the week and absolutely no food in or even harder 50p to feed yourself that day. However, for a week in aid of charity I'm sure Meg won't starve no matter how she does it.

• LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Apr 19, 6:45 PM
    • 3,725 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Do start off the day with porridge - it will keep you feeling full until at least lunchtime. A few raisins or half a banana plus a grating of ginger will make it a very tasty breakfast.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 10th Apr 19, 7:52 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,917 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I can't see how it can be done myself, but wish you good luck!

I second porridge, and make it with water. I put my oats in a bowl, add in the boiling water and a pinch of salt (and sweetener!) and let them sit for a few minutes and they become lovely and creamy. I then microwave them for 1-2 minutes depending on the wattage of the micro and they're lovely.
    • M.E.
    • By M.E. 10th Apr 19, 9:40 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    M.E.
    I frequently stay with a family in India. Generally speaking everything is about a tenth the price of UK. The family is thrifty with food, rarely eating out. A meal in a reasonable restaurant is about 1 per person, wheareas here it would be 10 a head.
    Even in India you would struggle to feed yourself, at home, on the equivalent of 50p a day. Plain rice and a handful of vegetables would be your lot, day in day out. No meat or fish or egg, no tea,coffee, milk or sugar.
    Plain rice and vegetables.
    Doable, yes, but not advisable. Here Rice and Vegetables would be sold as a Crash Diet, not sustainable or suitable for more than a week.

• Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 11th Apr 19, 1:28 AM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Hi Meg - good luck - no I would not do this - EVER, but i have done a weeks menu for you. Tried to make it as healthy as I could, but it aint easy. Assuming your not using stores, so it would go something like this. It's all from Tesco, apart from the Stuffing, which is Asda.

Growers Harvest Oats 1kg ........................75p
    Nevils Wholemeal Bread ............................36p
    2 Tins Stockwell Spaghetti .........................28p
    Growers Harvest Mixed Veg 1.16kg ...........92p
    Teso Dark Speckled Lentils .........................50p
    Stockwell & Co Gravy Granules .................20p
    Hearty Food Spaghetti (pasta) ..................20p
    ASDA Sage & Onion Stuffing Mix ................25p
    TOTAL 3.46

BREAKFAST
    Porridge - probably overnight oats as its creamier
    Spaghetti on Toast if you want a change

LUNCHES
    Soup - made with some of the veg & gravy, maybe with bread
    Pattie if you make them (or swap around for breakfast)
    Spaghetti on Toast

DINNERS
    You have lentils, vegetables, pasta and gravy to play around with. You could mix some of the stuffing mix with the veg and fry off into some kind of balls, with maybe breadcrumbs, you could also make porridge patties, if you make extra, with the veg & stuffing and maybe some lentils n fry off. You could swap out one of the tins of spaghetti for a tin of Growers Harvest Mushy peas and add to pasta - clutching at straws here. It would have been good to get some beans/salad in there, but couldn't work in2 budget and veggie gravy would be better, but don't know any for the price. You could grab some sauces, condiments from McD 4free.

Anyway, good luck, that's some ideas - hope it helps.
    Last edited by Save Dosh; 11-04-2019 at 1:57 AM.
    April GC - Food 37.40/80 - Alcohol 14.50/20
    Bulk Funds - Food 0
    - Alcohol 0
    Save 12k in 2019 1,300/5,000 - #155
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 12th Apr 19, 12:21 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    I’ve been thinking about this. If I had 3.50 to eat for a week, this is what I’d buy (from Tesco):

Flour - 1.5kg - 0.45
    Yellow Split Peas - 500g - 0.55
    Lard - 250g - 0.39
    Eggs - 15 - 1.19
    Rice - 1kg - 0.45

Total 3.03. I reckon that would keep me fed for a week, without being too hungry or unhealthy.

I’d use the flour / eggs / lard to make flat bread and / or pancakes. With rice and peas for variety.

I’d need some salt though - if I couldn’t borrow / steal any that’d be 0.35 for 750g from my “spare” 0.47. Otherwise I’d probably buy a packet of biscuits. 300g of ginger nuts for 0.25 would make good snacks.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    • 66,294 Posts
    • 389,764 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I won't put up a suggested food list because I don't eat food like other people. My taste buds are stuck well back in the 1960s/1970s and I don't eat lentils or porridge I also don't have the use of an oven or hob, which reduces options.

My list would rely heavily on beans on toast and baked spuds (nuked to save electric money) topped with beans.

Spaghetti's cheap, 20p/packet.

Spuds can be pricey, because of the bag size you need to buy to get them cheap. Oven chips work out at about 63p/Kg, which is the price of many spuds in many places, so, for a 1 week menu there might be a bag of oven chips in there (6 days of chips).

Oven chips, 2 tins of baked beans and 6 omelettes = about 2, 2.10 or so. Loaf of bread and 2 more tins of baked beans is about another 90p. So that'd be 3. Leaving 50p for a 30p packet of biscuits Or a portion of oven chips with half a tin of mushy peas = 23p/portion.

To actually work out what you could eat, find out how much it cost, then work it all out, would just take a lot of time faffing about ... and, as neither I, nor the OP, would ever use it .... it's pointless

For the "challenge" I'd have access to Aldi and Lidl. Not to Asda/Tesco or large supermarkets.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 12-04-2019 at 6:24 AM.
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 12th Apr 19, 8:53 AM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    To actually work out what you could eat, find out how much it cost, then work it all out, would just take a lot of time faffing about ... and, as neither I, nor the OP, would ever use it .... it's pointless
    I find stuff like this 'engaging', not faffing. I just typed it into Tesco and it worked out the price - probably 20mins. The reason I went to the pointless 'bother' was because she asked for suggestions. I don't expect her to use it. Why be so rude ??
    Bulk Funds - Food 0
    - Alcohol 0
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Apr 19, 9:44 AM
    • 66,294 Posts
    • 389,764 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I find stuff like this 'engaging', not faffing. I just typed it into Tesco and it worked out the price - probably 20mins. The reason I went to the pointless 'bother' was because she asked for suggestions. I don't expect her to use it. Why be so rude ??
    Originally posted by Save Dosh
    I wasn't rude. That's just how you perceived it to be.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 12th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    • 24,803 Posts
    • 28,827 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Originally posted by Save Dosh
    (((Hug))) You took it the wrong way. Different people have different posting styles. Straightforward, to the point or even blunt is not the same as being rude.

PasturesNew repeatedly referred to herself - emboldened by me - there was no hidden dig at you, nor anyone else. That is not PN's way at all.

Again (((hug)))

I won't put up a suggested food list because I don't eat food like other people. My taste buds are stuck well back in the 1960s/1970s and I don't eat lentils or porridge I also don't have the use of an oven or hob, which reduces options.

My list would rely heavily on ....

For the "challenge" I'd have access to Aldi and Lidl. Not to Asda/Tesco or large supermarkets.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 12th Apr 19, 12:09 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    I wasn't rude. That's just how you perceived it to be.
    If I misunderstood your post, then I gladly stand corrected
    Bulk Funds - Food 0
    - Alcohol 0
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    • 66,294 Posts
    • 389,764 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    Thank you ... that's entirely correct.
    I couldn't have typed it like that though, if I'd tried I'd have just "made it worse"

Sucks to be me, eh
    • meg72
    • By meg72 12th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Thank you ... that's entirely correct.
    I couldn't have typed it like that though, if I'd tried I'd have just "made it worse"

Sucks to be me, eh
    Oh Bless PN I understood exactly what you meant but I am used to your style of writing and your quite right I wouldn't have followed your plan LOL I don't eat sweeties .
    Slimming World at target
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

603Posts Today

6,869Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: If there is a 'discretionary service charge' added to your bill in a restaurant, do you alway? https://t.co/6Jopw4tkhQ

• Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• Follow Martin