Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,342Posts
    • 8,029Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 92
    • DryTheRain
    • By DryTheRain 11th Apr 19, 11:08 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    DryTheRain
    Eyeing the news (unwillingly) I note the 'new' "brexit day" is in fact 31 October or All Hallows Eve or Hallow'een to taste. Splendid. If anyone asks why I have Yet Another brick of looroll (Costco sells the packages in bigger packages), I can smile & say "Halloween, of course!" (Although I get away with all sorts just with "Scouts...")
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Politics aside, I must admit I'm mighty relieved about the brextension, it's been quite anxious prepping from scratch in a short time and on a tight budget.

On the other hand I feel much more secure now knowing I have back up supplies, whether it's food, a first aid kit, or torches candles and loo rolls, insulation against life's hiccups.

It's also been something positive to focus on during a difficult time, respite, a sense of achievement.. and this might sound cheesy but I couldn't have done it without all the super suggestions and support from the lovely people on these threads - HUGE thanks to you all x
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Apr 19, 7:22 AM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 35,410 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Ohhh - great drawn out breath of finally gets it! Sorry - my knowledge of tea-leaf reading comes straight from Terry Pratchett (ah Nanny Ogg & Mrs Nitt's tea leaves, and of course Granny Weatherwax reading for Mrs.Whitlow) where the witches largely don't bother with tealeaf reading as they don't think it works. (As if that ever stopped Granny...)

As for
    swirling fabrics with too much eye make up
    that would be the dress code for some of my colleagues who are black coffee and several cigarettes admitted to types! What they get up to at the weekend is considered far too racy for the teapoint, & fair enough.

DryTheRain, next time a Mormon comes knocking, invite them in for a cup of herbal tea, a glass of milk or water (they eschew caffeine on religious grounds) & get them to explain food storage to you? Their faith requires them to have three months worth of food & water, so get them to share some practical tips? As you'll be on the same page about the sheer reassurance of knowing that no matter what happens, you can still eat & drink despite severe weather, sudden unemployment & other hiccups. You may find they are so thankful to be treated with courtesy (& not pestered about their sex lives or politics) that they share the really why didn't I think of that insights! A tactful 'so sorry but I have a dental appointment' or whatever at Q sets a timeframe of expectation but in that time, take notes!
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 12-04-2019 at 7:30 AM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 187,445 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Does it count if you only ever wear jeans and a T shirt with a fleece and only use tea leaves for going on the compost heap?

Drytherain well done on getting to the point where you don't feel so worried over your future because you're prepared for untoward happenings. People are patronisingly scathing about prepping in many cases and tend to regard folks like us as eccentric to the point of lunatic fringe.....but come the crunch we'll be the ones with the tea bags and candles and they'll be the ones without! I think being a little forward looking, a little forward planning and prepared for the vagaries of life (many and diverse) for whatever reason is a better place than being on catch up after the event (whatever the event might be). Personal point of view and not a reflection on anyone else! xxx.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 35,410 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Does it count if you only ever wear jeans and a T shirt with a fleece and only use tea leaves for going on the compost heap?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    There's a dress code?! Dear me.

tend to regard folks like us as eccentric to the point of lunatic fringe
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    And they may need their perspective rebalancing - my son had a medics appointment today & managed to get lost, visiting the gynecology department, the maternity unit & the morgue before finding where he was *supposed* to be.
    Another son "just wants to be normal" - and we howl with laughter (& frustration) that as child of two cheerful eccentrics, he has such Limited Ambitions, let alone the fact that we certainly didn't try to raise him to abide by all those restrictive shibboleths but if engineering calls, who are we to argue?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Apr 19, 6:31 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 187,445 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Normal is sooooooooo boring! talk him out of that one tout suite! poor boy obviously hasn't been dragged up enough mountains yet, sat on white sand beaches and sung to seals who will sing back or had the joys of a hot chocolate on top of a mountain at the top end of Sweden under the midnight sun. I absolve him of not making cook fires in the back garden as I'm sure you do that but normal, get him a hot air balloon flight or a paragliding experience, get him into flint knapping and make his own hand axe, take him to Iceland and go whale watching and drive round the whole island and get him to realise that 'normal' is tame whereas looking at the possibilities that exist is abnormal BUT a whole lot more funnnnnnn!

My next big one on the bucket list is to go to the Lofoten Islands off the Norwegian coast to Lofotor which is a Viking settlement where they have a fully functioning long house staffed by re-enactors and they have a real Longship without an engine and they let people row her out into the Fjiord and back.....guess what I want to do.....and I'm definitely NOT normal by 2019 standards but I get a whole lot more adventures than most people get in a lifetime.....

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Apr 19, 7:09 PM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 35,410 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    He has flint knapped & has outgrown the leather apron we shaped for him.
    He's taken & worn & carried full AngloSaxon kit (linen, wool decorated with tablet woven braid, mail shirt, leather turnshoes etc etc) into school for one day a year for several years at his history teacher's request (one year with false beard!) - and despite the seax etc not had a cheep of trouble with mucking about & 'knife crime' as he's been absolutely up front about any idiots & It All Goes Home & noone sees it again. (Pretty much a direct house quote.)
    He's not only been hauled up mountains, he actively seeks them out for conquest, but I may suggest finding seals & singing back to them sometime. When he's being particularly irritatingly narrow-minded, I think.

I absolutely agree - being normal is for some reason choosing to live a life within self constructed walls. Whereas I tend to respond badly to "you can't do that" (other than on the range & other may endanger other innocent bystanders situations).
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Apr 19, 7:31 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 187,445 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    In that case M'dear it's just a passing phase and he'll grow out of it eventually after all no one actually chooses boredom and conventionality on purpose do they? I wish him many very exciting adventures, large and strong wings to fly on and a strong homing instinct when he feels he'd like to come and share his stories with you and his Papa!

• Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 12th Apr 19, 7:57 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 4,054 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    MrsL I just had to thank you for reminding me that the most beautiful thing I have ever seen is the Viking ship in the museum at Oslo. I must have antecedents who came over on longboats, but I had a bad case of collywobbles/deja vue and a strange calm feeling of 'now I've seen this I can be happy'.

Quite weird as DNA suggests that, after painting their cave walls, my ancestors walked from Spain, crossed Dogger Bank before it submerged, and apparently couldn't get back.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Apr 19, 8:10 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 187,445 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The biggest longship I've ever seen was in the museum in Gothenburg, it's end to end of a huge long gallery and Oh my word, sooooo beautiful and I too had that feeling of 'completing a circle' and contentment. It was odd but lovely being in Gothenburg because we have the same face as most of the women there, DD1 and I spent the week walking into shops and being spoken to in Swedish by the assistants who were bemused that we weren't actually Swedish. It was like looking into a mirror everywhere and felt like home, like putting on a glove as the place fitted us so perfectly.

• gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Apr 19, 9:00 PM
    • 4,864 Posts
    • 12,186 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Talking of Viking long boats I am, after many many years of wanting to go, going to Up Helly Aa in the Shetlands next year.

Can't wait
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • kah22
    • By kah22 13th Apr 19, 12:17 AM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    kah22
    Tea Bags
    Many years ago a friend of mine owned a reasonably successful cafe and he was a bit of a prankster. Anyway for two or three days he gathered up all the used tea bags, took them home and hung them out to dry in an effort to get a rise from his wife. Imagine the scene when the wife arrived home with one of her posh friends! 😄

Anyway it set me to thinking that maybe we should be hanging up our old tea bags, after all prisoners in concentration camps used their tea leaves on more than one occasion.

We are after all at war with 27 other countries !
    Politicians have had three votes on Brexit and theyíre looking for a fourth! Why canít we have a second one?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Apr 19, 7:00 AM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 35,410 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    May I politely disagree with that? We are not at war, not with 27 other countries but are observing a ferocious internal tussle over where we want to be in relation to those 27. Conducted by a very small number but watched over, commented on etc by everyone with an interest. I don't think my sofa of near exhausted bewilderment would feel that strange to many Europeans who were Anglophiles & are now just baffled.

Although I grieve to see how badly we are treating some of our European born but lived & worked here for decades folks.

When war as it is traditionally fought breaks out, I believe hanging out teabags would be an invitation to village level brawling. The Russians confronted & endured the formidable siege of Leningrad (as it was then called) by leaving the leaves in the caddy, but otherwise going through the whole tea ritual and social amenities whilst imagining the taste of tea.

As for reusing tealeaves we already have a fine tradition thereof whenever it was a rare & expensive commodity. Which is why the general consensus on this forum (other fora are available) seems to be that perhaps leaf tea might be better stashed, but in any case o the peace of mind regardless of format.

At the height of rationing, aircrews found the most valuable commodity to import per ounce was bird food. Not chicken pellets, but trill & the like.
    So, has anyone laid in a supply of the relevant pet food In The Event?
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Apr 19, 8:55 AM
    • 5,948 Posts
    • 57,612 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I have always thought it very wrong that we don't train our own young people but bring in key workers from poorer countries which can't afford to lose them. It's absurd that there are a lot of young people who would make excellent nurses but can't get training places. Cutting bursaries was partly to stop the loss of newly qualified staff overseas for more money but they could have achieved a similar effect with staged write-off of loans for a given number of years' service in the NHS. But funding training places means an investment upfront.

This may not seem to have much to do with prepping for Brexit but it has, in a way. Whether we leave or no, there needs to be a good look at things like this. If we end up leaving, then it's down to us alone as a country to address these issues for the long term and not rely on an easy source of labour. If we don't end up leaving, it's not good enough for the government to spread its hands and say it's because of the EU. There are things that can be done and I don't think people will be fobbed off
    Originally posted by maryb
    The reason we encourage immigration of highly trained health care professionals from other countries is that it's cheaper than training them ourselves. In a country where the government were seriously Prepping for Brexit we'd be making more training places available. We're not. To date since the Referendum, as the EU health care professionals are leaving we've been upping the numbers from further afield, hence the stability of immigration numbers. I see no evidence that this goverment intends to change that policy. They certainly haven't announced it.

We are after all at war with 27 other countries !
    Originally posted by kah22
    Really?
    Keeping it AF
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Apr 19, 10:06 AM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 187,445 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Just been looking over our preps for everything including Brexit and materially we're there in quantity for the two of us for a while at least which is a somewhat comforting feeling. A couple of 'optional extras' would be a pop up waterproof tent, just a small one for use in a 'Bug out' situation and a large gravity water purifier unit but neither is crucial. Now all we have to do is endure the tedium of sitting on our hands and watching the endlessly convoluted tangle that is the Brexit negotiations between the UK and the rest of the EU pan out one way or another. I hope I can muster the patience from somewhere it's wearing very thin of late!

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Apr 19, 10:58 AM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 35,410 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Dare I ask, how are your knitting & carving-wooden-toy skills? As I understand it, these may both be of more immediate use than waiting for our politicians (I've substituted in the polite word) to figure out what to do.

I do go on repeatedly about knowing how to swim - as a survival skill it's useful, but also making the time to refresh your First Aid knowledge is often time shockingly well spent.

And, without wishing to derail the thread entirely, check your board games have all their pieces. Says she, glumly contemplating two missing property cards in a travel Monopoly set eldest wants to take with him. Mind you, many board games can live without their hideous plastic things & a beach or riverside stroll will reward the sharp eyed (& exercise the back, legs etc) by offering up coloured pebbles, shells etc that are small enough to fit on the board and replace missing counters.

Also, the number of games you can play with a pebble and a bit of chalk (usually involving skipping & counting) are numerous and for the grownups add a few more pebbles & draw your own Hnefatafl board...
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 13-04-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    • 6,103 Posts
    • 66,208 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    DfV We've been buying an extra box of cat food each week.

I did broach the humans' stockpile the other day though and used a tin of corned beef to make hash. I used fresh potatoes though, rather than tinned ones, and used up the last occupant of a bag of shallots..
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Apr 19, 6:35 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 187,445 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've got a Woley Board bought back from their African travels by some adventurous friends who decided life had no dress rehearsals and sold everything and went on a very long adventure. I don't knit well but can knit and HWK would probably be able to do the toy making, he's a jack of all trades and can turn his hand to most things so he'd not be a professional finish but they'd function.

• markin
    • By markin 14th Apr 19, 1:38 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    markin
    The goal posts may have changed but it just give more time for late comers to prep, and everyone more time and money to prep with, The will always be some shortages even if its short term or just local, And price rises are always certain.

To hear that weetabix is made with local crops but that they are then sold on the world market in USD is a bit silly, Why feed your own country cheaply when the is profit to be made eh? And with now even more floods in the U.S this year and that it can take as many as 7 years to recover from the price can only go up.
    Last edited by markin; 14-04-2019 at 1:41 PM.
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 18th Apr 19, 8:33 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    Vegastare
    Oh.....so Weetabix should go on my prep list.......make a note for September so have good use by dates.
    As for Brexit pushed back to a possible 31st Oct - pity not the 5th Nov maybe Guy Fawkes might make a possible return....in the form of who though.........
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 22nd Apr 19, 8:48 PM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 35,410 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    As we emerge from the Easter Bank Holiday test of preparedness, family dynamics and the general you-ate-how-much bewilderment (we left a teenager revising unattended), tomorrow I will stagger back into the office relieved.
    Then duck out early to refill the fuel tank, resupply on groceries & then do another run over to Bradford, Visiting The Sick.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

407Posts Today

4,919Users online

Martin's Twitter