PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fishmongers

well - I thought I would try out the fishmonger shop local to where I work. I am all for supporting local independant shops over the big supermarket giants.

I am having a friend over for dinner tonight and as a treat decided to cook tuna steaks with oriental style noodles. Yum. Tescos do two small to medium tuna steaks for about £3.

well the same sized tuna steaks in the fishmongers have just cost me £5.54!!!!!!! :rolleyes: that's over a third of my weekly budget for my march grocery challenge!

I think that my morals will have to go back on their shelf. *sigh* Oh well...... :)
aless02 wrote: »
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p

Comments

• fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    I've been thinking about going to the fishmonger too to see if I can get cheaper fish there. The problem is that unless there's a queue you walk in and all the people stare at you. Anyone have any advice on what's the cheapest fish?

Then again I got 4 salmon steaks reduced to £2.01 in asda last month so I do keep an eye out for the yellow stickers.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Caramac......I mean r.mac

Next time you're shopping in Tesco, write down the price per gram for Tuna and then compare with your local fishmonger's price. You might find that the prices aren't so far apart.

If the local fishmonger is more expensive, tell him/her the Tesco price and ask if they can do anything about their price........you may get a reduction but you won't get if you don't ask.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Fazer6

I don't know current prices but Coley used to be quite cheap. It has big flakes (like cod) but isn't quite as white in colour. Don't be afraid to ask your fishmonger, they'll be delighted to help you.

In a supermarket, customers are rarely known or remembered by the staff but in a local fishmongers or butchers etc.......there is often a good relationship between Mr or Mrs So-and-so the customer and the trader.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I suspect the problem is that tuna is largely imported and Tesco can buy massive amounts at the price they demand from the wholesalers.

Your local man is stuck with buying smaller amounts.

You might your local fishmonger is more competitive for fish caught in UK waters. Try a price per kg price check for several different types of fish, before you desert your fishmonger completely.

I'll bet his fish is fresher than Tesco though. In fact, I'm sure it will be. Remember, all that packaging done by Tesco and transporting around the Country via different distribution centres takes time.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    I often forget how close to the sea I actually live but I'm sure I can get something locally caught quite cheaply, chinese ****les might be on offer! Not politically correct I know.

I've started to have fish once a week now so I'll have to get something next week. I'll be brave and go and see what they can recommend. I don't think I've had Coley before so I'll be trying something new too.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Well, they are a slightly pinker colour than the tesco ones - tesco's were much greyer. I suppose the ultimate (taste) test will come this evening. I will report back!
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    I marinaded them in toasted sesame seed oil and soya sauce, then griddled them.

They were lovely, but i'll be going back to tesco's tuna steaks. Why (in no particular order);

1. Price - half the price in tesco's
    2. Size (tesco's slightly smaller, but better portion size. Fishmongers ones were just on teh large side for me.)
    3. Freshness - no difference

It was a good experiment though and one which I will try with other items.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've noticed the same thing here, I wanted to buy monkfish the other day but just couldn't afford it at the fishmongers prices, it was £11 per pound. I went to Tesco a few days later and found it on their fishmongers stall at £5.80 per pound, that's a very big difference.

I might just start shopping more for fish in my local Tesco now, however I can get a more choice in game and shellfish in my fishmonger.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family