Dozens of TSB branches to cut opening hours to two or three days a week - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    All the oldies who use branches are all retired anyway so they can go anytime during the week ;)

How very patronising of you! We "oldies" scrimped and saved to buy what we needed, before what we wanted, instead of relying on credit, which most younger people seem to do. Do you think we don't have lives and activities, but sit at home all day? We retired expecting to do all the things we never had time for when working. Now we find ourselves on grandparent duties, because our adult kids are working and saving, following our example. Not that we don't enjoy helping out, we love our grandbrats.

As for TSB branches: ours is 3 miles away. We have no PO in our village, just a mobile PO which comes once a week.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Robisere
    Options
    The only mention of reduced branch hours and/or closures that I can find, refers to Scottish branches. Can anyone find any others?
    a much bigger hammer.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    "scores" are muliples of 20. "Dozens" are multiples of 12.
    Which is it?:rotfl:

240 or 360 branches I think. :)
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    How very patronising of you! We "oldies" scrimped and saved to buy what we needed, before what we wanted, instead of relying on credit, which most younger people seem to do. Do you think we don't have lives and activities, but sit at home all day? We retired expecting to do all the things we never had time for when working. Now we find ourselves on grandparent duties, because our adult kids are working and saving, following our example. Not that we don't enjoy helping out, we love our grandbrats.

As for TSB branches: ours is 3 miles away. We have no PO in our village, just a mobile PO which comes once a week.

Why can't the "brats" go with you to the bank if it's so crucial?

Ensuring bank access to the vulnerable is important - keeping unnecessary branches open to fit into your social schedule isn't!
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If 240 branches were affected both terms could be correct!! :p

or 120, or 60 even.... :D
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »

It looks like you have taken the bait in my post ;)

But obviously there is no need to visit a branch as everything can be done online or by phone apart from pay in cash. So if you make sure you never take out more cash than you need nobody ever needs to visit a branch.
    240 or 360 branches I think. :)
    mgdavid wrote: »
    or 120, or 60 even.... :D

Why does it have to be whole dozens or scores or branches?

Reading the article 4.7 Scores of branches will be open for less
    hours which is 7.83r dozen ;)
  • Robisere
    Options
    To callum999 and takmon:
    "brats" is just my pet name for the grandkids I love, who laugh at the name. They do not need and indeed cannot go with me to the branch. 3 are working and the other is deep into exams at her grammar school. In any case, I am not as vulnerable as you have so mistakenly imagined and am perfectly capable of visiting the branch myself.
    Our local branch is not unnecessary: it is always well served by customers. At no point did I make any reference to not being able to visit.
    In any event, see my last post: apparently only Scottish branches are affected. You may know differently, if so please educate us.

So you, takmon, admit that your post was bait? What small amusement does that afford your limited imagination?
    I bank online, does that disappoint your imaginative judgement regarding the abilities of older people? However, there are times when I need to visit a branch. For example, I have just been repaid a loan I made to a relative's account. It was repaid as cash, which I need to bank. Occasionally I receive regular cheques, from a source which is planning to replace that payment by other means. I use cash very infrequently now, as I have a contactless credit and a debit card: does that upset your view of older people's abilities too?
    a much bigger hammer.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After last year they can’t get too much bad publicity which is why they are doing reduced hours.

Next step will be closure. They aren’t going to pay rent and rates as well as maintenance on buildings long term to open 2 or 3 days per week.

I only use a branch on average once a year. They are expensive to maintain and quite honestly a waste of money.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    At the risk of taking your flippant post too seriously, the terms aren't being used interchangeably and refer to different numbers - it's scores of branches (94) that will have their opening hours cut and a smaller figure (said to be dozens) down to 2/3 days a week....

Wouldn't 94 and - whatever - have been better choices in the original?

Why, oh why, oh why are MSE staff so tabloid-y? :)

And safer. Recently, in Waitrose, I asked one of the staff to get me a dozen bottles of - err, never mind - and after ten minutes a gaggle of them came back to ask what a dozen is. No embarrassment and they seemed genuinely interested to learn.

Sheeeesh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport