What are a daughters rights when mum dies

13»

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Were I the ailing grieving daughter & I knew which FD had my parents body, I'd show up.

The FD may well be in the employ of my disagreed-with sister, but is also used to meeting a lot of distressed folk & could probably sneak me a quiet few minutes if I was calm, cooperative & seriously not looking to pick any kind of quarrel.

A mate might go ahead & set that up for me if they thought the FD could be cooperative, but if they have a compassionate moment you need to be ready to act on it in seconds & also to have a getaway vehicle sorted. (And destination. Somewhere where an ill woman can have a weep in relative comfort & peace. Oddly, the M&S cafes can be ideal once you've got into them but they're rarely easily accessible. McDs rather less with the comfort & peace but what odds potentially irate sis would go looking there?!.)

Meanwhile, who the executors are & if there's a credible copy of the will would be useful information for later on.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Is this any use to help her case, it does state "it is a well-established principle of law that there is no ‘property’ in, nor ‘ownership’ right to, a dead body".

https://www.contactlaw.co.uk/what-rights-exist-over-a-dead-body.html

The FD is in a difficult position, but hopefully it may also give him/her some leeway to make a better decision for your friend. If she had been estranged from her mother I'd take a different view, but it doesn't sound like she was, apart from her own mobility issues maybe.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure