Freelance writing

So I was looking into ways to make money and came up with this possibly unethical method.
Freelance writing accounts sell for big money in Kenya and I have a degree so opening these accounts isn't an issue.
I then opened lots of these accounts and sold them to a broker. I made $7400 from there sale.
Issue I'm having now is:
1. Will my identity be stolen.
2. I'm really against these sites helping students cheat.
So I'm wondering if I contacted these sites to inform them the accounts are no longer in my possession what the consequences would be?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,188 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Gmabit wrote: »
    So I was looking into ways to make money and came up with this possibly unethical method.
    Freelance writing accounts sell for big money in Kenya and I have a degree so opening these accounts isn't an issue.
    I then opened lots of these accounts and sold them to a broker. I made $7400 from there sale.
    Issue I'm having now is:
    1. Will my identity be stolen.
    2. I'm really against these sites helping students cheat.
    So I'm wondering if I contacted these sites to inform them the accounts are no longer in my possession what the consequences would be?

I'm really not sure where to start with this, I also don't know what you mean by freelance writing account so my advice may well be wrong. You might also be better asking on a group nearer to you as this is a Uk based group and will therefore only see it from a U.K. Point of view.

If you have done something that is fraudulent then sort it out, is your entire career worth risking for $7400? If you added some emails which the buyer has access to, then yes it seems possible that your identity could be stolen, assuming these are used for fraudulent reasons then you sold to crooks so you can't expect them to be honourable when dealing with your information.

As for what might happen, I have no idea, sorry. Just remember that you are dealing with criminals and that might well have repercussions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why sell a freelancing account? It's your reputation.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • tryin
    tryin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm a bit lost here. Can someone pls explain what a freelance writing account is?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,188 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tryin wrote: »
    I'm a bit lost here. Can someone pls explain what a freelance writing account is?

I was wondering that as well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    An account is a record, therefore a freelance writing account online is a record of your freelance writing (normally on a site such as Upwork, Fiverr, Toptal and so on.)
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure