The cost of being single

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It can be any two adults, not necessarily partners in any shape or form, that regularly travel together.

I still don't see why they get a discount, though. A single able-bodied person between the ages of 31 and 65 is now the only person who pays full price on the trains
  • I still don't see why they get a discount, though. A single able-bodied person between the ages of 31 and 65 is now the only person who pays full price on the trains

I hadn't thought of it like that before - but I do believe you're right. Only 7 years to go...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • m1kjm
    m1kjm Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My parents' friends had just renewed their car insurance when shortly afterwards the male died suddenly. The widow telephoned the car insurers to notify them and they wanted an extra £200 from her :mad:
  • m1kjm wrote: »
    My parents' friends had just renewed their car insurance when shortly afterwards the male died suddenly. The widow telephoned the car insurers to notify them and they wanted an extra £200 from her :mad:
    That's appalling!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TV licence
    Broadband and Telephone
    TV subscriptions
  • Living on your own IS worth the cost I promise. It is expensive but so liberating!
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Living on your own IS worth the cost I promise. It is expensive but so liberating!

Yes I love it!
    The TV remote is mine, the food in the cupboard is my choice, I have want I want for dinner & a bowl of cornflakes instead if I fancy.
    No one to wake me up at the weekend if I want a lie in and lazy day.

The holiday thing is a right bloody pain! I like beach holidays, ideally large luxury all inclusive hotels on their own beach in a peaceful location - they are all priced for 2.
  • When it comes to things like food and gas/electric/water, the amount I use is up to me and I can cut back if I feel I need to.

It's the insurance that's bugging me the most. I haven't suddenly become a worse driver!! (And before someone comes on and tries to explain how it works, I know.)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    calleyw wrote: »

some people prefer to be on there own for what ever reason. Some people need to be on their own as they are too toxic to be in a relationship.
    Yours
    Calley x

I am one of those people, but I'm not toxic, whatever that means. I chose to stay single. Everything I own has been paid for by me, and I've managed my finances pretty well throughout my life. It's what I'm used to because I don't know any different. I pay whatever the rate is.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Worried about the cost of being single?

Wait till you see the cost of being married!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure