* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,Mr V at work today so I have just tidied the sittingroom whilst watching Victoria and got some washing on.We have a back log of recycling as the bin was already full from the party.

I have decided that Christmas in future will be simpler.Both decorations and gifts.I think the grown up kids can have money and a token gift,bought like you Peppa much nearer the time.I am not buying any wrapping paper no matter how much a bargain it is!I have loads and I find gift bags so much easier anyway.

O lord I heard a smash down stairs and now sweeping up of glass. Never mind ,only stuff.

MIL is complex and difficult without Christmas thrown in to the mix.Poor DH is upset every week after he goes to see her.I try my best to support him but it takes its toll.I said to DS earlier don't ever let me become a nasty old woman like she is.It is very sad but she will never change.Poor old Mr V works so hard,unsociable hours and has to always be cheery in his job whatever goes on in his private life.

I will give new year resolutions some pondering.One definitely will be to loose some weight.I don't want to feel uncomfortable on my posh cruise!

I watch the Kirsty craft progs and am amazed at how much some courses are.I think that some crafts are just not cost effective,even though I wouldn't mind a go.Eg glass blowing.I remember a teacher where I used to work came into school one Monday with a very misshapen wicker shopping basket.She had been on a weekend residential course,only £200.She had enjoyed it though.

What are you all doing at New Year?

Vx
     :
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for shiny new thread 3forholidays
    Had lovely if not a tad hectic 3 days seemed to go by in a rush lots of cooking and clearing up done by me so need peaceful few days to recover DH gone back to work today I am off till next Wed so plan in lots of me time to recover !! Might go to sales on Friday if anything left
    I agree with wrapping ideas my Dd3 only wraps in brown paper but uses shiny tags bows and curling ribbon in alternative colours for each person will try and load pic up looked effective but quite cheap.
    Will try and keep my tree upto 2nd Jan anyone got snow just pouring rain here.x
    Frugal challenge 2024

• murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a lovely 3 days but I will be glad of a bit of a rest today. Was spoilt and a very happy bunny on Christmas Day thanks to my lovely lot.
    re wrapping- I used 3 different co-ordinating papers this year (stags, tartan and plain red) as last year I used copper paper and navy blue ribbon which looked nice but all the presents were too 'samey' under the tree. I prettied the presents up with different ribbons, £shop tiny baubles and candy canes.
    Ive already bought DD's and DSis advent calendars for next year- Essie nail polish ones reduced to £10 on superdrug. I will try not to buy any 'bargains' throughout the year - mainly due to lack of space(but I cant promise).
    Sorry to hear that some peoples relatives haven't been full of the joy of Christmas - it does seem to bring out/make situations worse. Apart from a few sharp words to my Dsis we have been OK and not had any falling outs. Vulpix- I really feel for MrV in his position x
    I have started to take a few decs and lights down. I like to have them all mostly down by New Years although I leave the tree up til after. This tree is going to the tip as its not looking its best and I have bought a new 8ft one in the sales (which Im really excited about).
    Resolutions?
    Top of the list- lose weight!
    Try to stop being my own worst enemy mentally by worrying about things I cant change .
    Allow myself to fail every now and again without beating myself up about it.
    Try not to obsess abut my current 'fad' (says she after looking for a holiday in Rome for the past 2 weeks).
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • jakes-mum
    jakes-mum Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always thought I was alone in hating having my tree up after new year :o Mine has to come down before new years eve as I just cant start a new year with celebrations from 'last year' :o

I don't specifically go out to buy presents in the sales for next christmas, instead i'm part of the sealed pot challenge on the DFW board where I save all my change in a pot over the year to pay toward christmas presents (though invariably i've picked most up from may onwards so it's just a nice bonus for treats / holidays :D )

I currently have roughly 10 different styles of wrapping paper in my stash, 2 of which are generic designs so I use them for birthdays :D I do like to have seperate paper for family gifts and Santa gifts as I always worry that DD will ask 'why does father christmas have the same wrapping paper as you do?' she's that kind of girl :rotfl: I did read once that the UK throws away enough wrapping paper to circle the world 7 times (something like that) so once my wrapping paper is used up I would like to try and find a way to wrap without creating extra waste. I have seen videos of people using newspapers and fabric to wrap their gifts so maybe something along those lines, a few years away yet though with my stash!

Resolutions:

1) To try and play more games with DD, she's growing up fast so I need to enjoy her more while she still wants to play snakes and ladders and cluedo with me.

2) Try not to stress so much about christmas preparation, it always comes together in the end and nothing catastrophic is going to happen because I didn't manage to buy a chocolate log for dessert!

3) I will NOT try any new crafts this year! I currently have crochet stuff, jewellery making stuff, embroidery machine, fabrics, sewing machine, art supplies, general craft stuff, fimo clay . . . I do NOT need to learn any more crafts!

I am really looking forward to getting my living room back! I am not sure I can last till the 30th :rotfl: I did make musings about taking it all down today and DD was horrified! :rotfl:
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) £1596.55/£1000 (13) £1534.70/£1000 (14) £775.60/£1000 (15) £700.20/£1000 (16) £2081.34/£1000 (17) £0/£1000
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi all,

Well it's been and gone - all our gifts are still sitting in the lounge/bedroom waiting to be put away. Must try and do it this afternoon now I am home from work.

The wrapping paper - I usually have two or three designs. Was going to stick to one colour when I bought this time but was limited with my choice but have plenty so no more til that is all gone :rotfl:

Also need a big sort out of my craft drawers - lots of odds and ends that need using up but always too tempted to buy new stuff when. I see it.

Saving for next Christmas has already begun but am contemplating changing how I gift to the adults in other half's family.

When the tree comes down will have to dispose of it I think as I bought a pre lit LED one before Christmas at work as it had been reduced to half price and got my discount on top. Does mean I need slightly more decorations for next year as the tree is bigger but will cross that bridge another time.
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • msgigglewick
    Options
    Waves :D after a very up and down last 3-4 months, christmas actually was very lovely. In fact i'd love todo it all over again. Its not really over yet though ;) we have the panto to go to on friday then on saturday off to my in laws by train (as the car is being silly) for a few hours to have xmas with them.

Sale shopping i've already got my brother, sister in law, other brother and step dad's xmas pressies for next year.. also a handful of gifts for my dd3. Just my nephew and mum to grab something for during the year then the rest is my girls and dh.. Hopefully won't be too hard to decide what to get lol.

I've been following the old thread off and on, will try harder with this one. Nice to see lots of people having good christmasses :D

Shall say happy new year now incase i don't get back until then lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE ;)
    Totally debt free wohooo 2014
    Christmas 2014
    Presents bought **** rrp **** Saved ****
    *SAVE*SAVE*SAVE*
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'm just sat here chuckling to myself that this is the most Christmassy thread on MSE, and most of us want our decs down as soon as the big day is done :rotfl:

I was contemplating some cards in the sale because they're nice but I have a pack of 30 from last year still (free on O2) plus about 8 left from another free pack this year and half a dozen from a nice pack I treated myself to in the sales last year (nicest recipients got those ;)) so I'm really thinking if I need more as that should be enough for next year. Of course the worrier in me is thinking 'what if it isn't, what if I can't get any reduced next year for the year after? And (worst of all) what if I need more next Xmas and have to pay FULL PRICE for them?! :eek::rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• girlinayellowdress
    Options
    Well our decs came down Boxing Day as usual (although one year they did come down Christmas Day itself). Now I’m back to unpacking boxes from our move, it seems never ending but taking a tad longer as I’m reevaluating everything and most is off to the charity shops in the new year.
    Christmas was a nice dinner, queens speech and trash tv, just how we like it. As for New Year I don’t think I’ll have resolutions as such but as mentioned by others weight loss is a must, maybe see my new doctor and discuss alternative health/lifestyle changes and sort this new home out.
    I have promised myself to only come online once a week (unless it’s for info or news). I’ll keep Instagram on my phone but other social media can take a back seat as in my situation it’s too much time wasted. And I’m going to be frugal, managed this move without getting into any debt, so going to try and keep the habit with decorating and maintaining here. So I guess in a way these are resolutions.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just thought i would pop in and say.....i buy xmas wrapping paper every year in the sales as its cheaper and put it in the attic BUT i also buy xmas wrapping paper that can double as birthday wrap ie it has stars on / its gold / red with white spots etc etc and it looks beautiful with gold / white or silver curly ribbon during the year and no one ever knows. I save loads of money each year doing this lol
  • x_raphael_xx
    Options
    jakes-mum wrote: »
    I always thought I was alone in hating having my tree up after new year :o Mine has to come down before new years eve as I just cant start a new year with celebrations from 'last year' :o

My Birthday is 4th Jan, so I like the house to look festive right up til then, they come down 5th Jan.

BF picked up some cheap wrapping paper and cards the other day, we were completely out so had to restock. I'm never fussed about co-ordinating presents,
    I like a mixture under the tree :) as long as the paper is festive IDC.

Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income