very old debt

Options

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s worth making the CCA request in writing with a payment of £1 as it makes it a formal request which they’re obliged to comply with if they can. Send it by recorded delivery. That way you’ll have proof that you made the request and you could use it as evidence if you ever need to complain about them.

Use this sample letter to request the CCA agreement:

www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/sole-letters/Pages/Information-about-your-agreement-under-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fantastic, thank you James, I will do that tonight & post recorded :)
    Do they have 12 days from the date of the letter or the date is was signed for ?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    anna_m wrote: »
    Fantastic, thank you James, I will do that tonight & post recorded :)
    Do they have 12 days from the date of the letter or the date is was signed for ?

If it's with the original creditor, they may respond within that timeframe.
    If it's with a debt collector, they will have to go back to the OC in order to obtain it, and it could take up to 2 months.

These are just guidelines, and are rarely adhered to.

Haven't they just admitted they don't hold an agreement ???
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My understanding is that they have 12 working days from when they receive the letter. It sounds like it will just be a formality in your case anyway if they’ve already told you they don’t have it.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • anna_1977
    Options
    Ok so day 12 was yesterday and no proof of debt. Do I simply just stop paying now?

Thanks
    Anna
  • mangle101
    mangle101 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok so day 12 was yesterday and no proof of debt. Do I simply just stop paying now?

Thanks
    Anna

After reading through the numerous posts it would seem that as its not your debt why bother.
    'Dont Bury Your Head In The Sand As Your Problems Will Still Exist'
    Debt Free Since 1st September 2009:j
  • anna_1977
    Options
    Today I've received a letter regarding the debt - dated 9 November so well outside of the 12 days .
    The debt in question was a Lloyds Bank loan and so I quoted that reference number on the prove it letter. I have received a letter from Halifax Credit Card saying they can't find the debt (probably because it wasn't a CC??) saying they want the 16 digit number (isn't one) and my maiden name/previous address

What should I do, I know some advice has been ignore but I'm worried they'll take action against me if I simply stop paying. Should I write back reiterating that it is a LB loan not Halifax CC?

Any advice appreciated
  • micky2phones
    Options
    Today I've received a letter regarding the debt - dated 9 November so well outside of the 12 days .
    The debt in question was a Lloyds Bank loan and so I quoted that reference number on the prove it letter. I have received a letter from Halifax Credit Card saying they can't find the debt (probably because it wasn't a CC??) saying they want the 16 digit number (isn't one) and my maiden name/previous address

What should I do, I know some advice has been ignore but I'm worried they'll take action against me if I simply stop paying. Should I write back reiterating that it is a LB loan not Halifax CC?

Any advice appreciated

Hi, not sure you can do this but if you find out the loan was not yours ask them for all the money you have paid them back ?
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options

Any advice appreciated

Certainly don't provide them with that information.

You can stop paying them with confidence that they cannot do anything to you. But you should be thinking of claiming back the £9.5k you have paid out for something which probably wasn't yours in the first place.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • anna_1977
    Options
    Can I claim it back and any ideas on how I would go about?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure