Opening a Amazon Classic Mastercard credit card for the £20 reward

I'm wondering whether it would be worth opening an Amazon Classic Mastercard credit card just for the £20 reward? I don't need the card so I wouldn't use it at all. Are there any drawbacks to this?

Untitled.png

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just weigh up whether the impact on your credit file is worth £20.
  • TightMike
    TightMike Posts: 28 Forumite
    Just weigh up whether the impact on your credit file is worth £20.

Yeah that's what I was wondering? Would there be any impact?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes. A new search, account and available credit will appear on your files.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Not to mention that it is owned by NewDay who own a lot of the subprime credit card market:
    We provide credit and store cards for these retail partners: Debenhams, House of Fraser, Laura Ashley, Topshop, Topman, Burton, Wallis, Miss Selfridge, Evans, Dorothy Perkins, Outfit, Harvey Nichols amongst others. Our consumer brands include Aqua, Marbles and Opus branded range of credit cards.

So you'd potentially have a new card with a low limit of say £200 on your history. Assuming you applied for another card in the future, this could be taken into account when the new lender does their internal scoring as being a subprime card, causing possible decline.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Not to mention that it is owned by NewDay who own a lot of the subprime credit card market:

So you'd potentially have a new card with a low limit of say £200 on your history. Assuming you applied for another card in the future, this could be taken into account when the new lender does their internal scoring as being a subprime card, causing possible decline.

I opened this account a few weeks ago and while it is my lowest limit by a long way, its not as bad as £200. Mine is £1500.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Candyapple wrote: »

The minimum limit according to the summery info is £500.
  • A4445 wrote: »
    The minimum limit according to the summery info is £500.

Where does it say that?
  • Samsung_Note2
    Samsung_Note2 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Sorry thought some keyboard expert was saying the other day that the amount is seen by other creditors but not the issuer.~?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Sorry thought some keyboard expert was saying the other day that the amount is seen by other creditors but not the issuer.~?

Nobody said otherwise. Logic would dictate that only a subprime lender would give such a paltry credit limit, thus I'm pretty sure whatever algorithm the lender would use to calculate their score would already know that and take that into consideration.

Just thought of another reason against it - your average account history length will be dragged down massively by this new account.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure