Flight cancellation - refund?

Hi

I bought a BA flight that I now don't need anymore. I bought this via Expedia and spoke with them about a possible refund. As the ticket was purchased under the conditions that there was no refund of any kind if I'd camcel it, I understand that I won't see any money from this, but I was told that they should at least refund taxes as the seat is likely to be resold and they woudn't apply the taxes on the new passenger too? Yes, of course they would, but is this even legitimate?

Is there anything I can get back or just forget this subject?
The flight has not happened yet.

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You can get back taxes but BA charges a £15 admin charge to process this and Expedia may charge something as well. Whether there's anything left will probably depend on whether it's a shorthaul or longhaul flight. Alternatively you can cross your fingers that the flight will be cancelled or schedule changed more than 2 hours in which case you can get a full refund.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The concept of the seat being resold if you cancel has no relevance. In your case it's better not to cancel - the chance that the flight is cancelled or rescheduled by 2+ hours, entitling you to a full refund, is better than the certainty of receiving more or less nothing in reclaimed taxes.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • thank you both very much for the clarifications. The idea of the flight being cancelled or delayed 2h+ is still promising, but would I not have to check-in to be entitled? are there any other requirements apart from just having bought the ticket to be entitled to the full refund in the unlikely condition stated above?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 November 2018 at 11:42PM
    None. The time limit for checking in is probably an hour or so before flight time. Even if checked in and you're a no-show, there would only be a penalty fee for a ticket which is still usable, which yours is not.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

I bought a BA flight that I now don't need anymore. I bought this via Expedia and spoke with them about a possible refund. As the ticket was purchased under the conditions that there was no refund of any kind if I'd camcel it, I understand that I won't see any money from this, but I was told that they should at least refund taxes as the seat is likely to be resold and they woudn't apply the taxes on the new passenger too? Yes, of course they would, but is this even legitimate?

Is there anything I can get back or just forget this subject?
    The flight has not happened yet.
    I recently cancelled a BA flight in advance and got about £30 back but that was done through the BA website not Expedia.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure