Osram bulb melted

I have just come home to find a strange smell and my Osram spot bulb completely melted away from itself, lying on my bed, having melted a hole in my duvet!

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Initially, you will be covered by your household insurance.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Was it a halogen lamp?

If so, one of the weak points with these can be lamp fitting as the current drawn by these can lead to overheating of the fitting especially if it's a little bit worn.

I used to have 16 halogen MR11 type lamps in my kitchen and I was constantly changing either a lamp of the lamp fitting due to them failing because of the heat build up.

With any type of electrical item that gets hot during normal use it's not really a good idea to leave them unattended for any significant period of time.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Get LED or compact fluorescent bulbs they don't get very hot. Did you leave it on all day while you were out?
  • I’m not sure what type of bulb it is, but the actual bulb looks like it has burst and melted /dripped on to the plastic casing causing that to break off
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If it were me I wouldn't claim for a new duvet, Id just buy a new 1.
  • I’m not worried about a new duvet, more that it happened once and I have no idea why and it might happen again and have worse consequences
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure