Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 13th May 19, 4:47 PM
    • 10,855Posts
    • 9,669Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    IT (CTY ?) or low cost FTSE tracker..?
    • 13th May 19, 4:47 PM
    IT (CTY ?) or low cost FTSE tracker..? 13th May 19 at 4:47 PM
    I'm just having a look at what i already have invested. I have some CTY. Part of me thinks that instead of CTY i should buy into a low cost FTSE tracker.

Reasons;

CTY doesnt accumulate so i have to reinvest when i think prudent to do so,hopefully on the dips,which involves some cost

Potentially CTY costs more to invest in

CTY is not as widely diversified as a FTSE tracker which could be seen as good or not so good depending on your view.

I dont need income right now and may not need it for 10 years or more. My SIPP is essentially running as a tax management vehicle at the moment though of course i want a good return also..

All comments welcome,,with thanks
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th May 19, 5:49 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th May 19, 5:49 PM
    • 13th May 19, 5:49 PM
    I'm just having a look at what i already have invested. I have some CTY. Part of me thinks that instead of CTY i should buy into a low cost FTSE tracker.
    Reasons;
    CTY doesn't accumulate so i have to reinvest when I think prudent to do so,hopefully on the dips,which involves some cost
    Potentially CTY costs more to invest in
    CTY is not as widely diversified as a FTSE tracker which could be seen as good or not so good depending on your view.
    I don't need income right now and may not need it for 10 years or more. My SIPP is essentially running as a tax management vehicle at the moment though of course i want a good return also..
    All comments welcome,with thanks
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Maybe not as many holdings as a FTSE All Share tracker but both have c 35% in their top 10 holdings. With CTY 4.84% is in HSBC and a FTSE All Share about c 5.5% in HSBC so I'm not sure a FTSE tracker would give you that much more of a wide diversification.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th May 19, 8:24 PM
    • 5,087 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 13th May 19, 8:24 PM
    • 13th May 19, 8:24 PM
    If you don't need the income and are incurring trade fees to reinvest dividends then I would go for a low cost, total return and globally diversified accumulation fund such as the HSBC FTSE All World.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 14th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 10,855 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 14th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 14th May 19, 6:07 PM
    yes i need to have a think about it. My current strategy is to auto reinvest the divi on the dips and take the cash when its in the green..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 14th May 19, 7:16 PM
    • 5,259 Posts
    • 7,203 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 14th May 19, 7:16 PM
    • 14th May 19, 7:16 PM
    CTY is a good income IT but I wouldn't use it for growth especially if it incurs costs to reinvest that income
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,377Posts Today

8,560Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin