PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• astep70uk
    astep70uk Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    I've been looking on the net for recipes for this and in the US it's called Dutch Crunch Bread - this is one of the recipes I found for it (I haven't tried this myself yet)

http://www.megaheart.com/kit_dutchcrunch.htm
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • nursemolly
    nursemolly Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi,
    has anyone had any success with the tiger bread recipes here.
    i just luurrvve tesco tiger bread and it would be great to be able to make this at home.
    thanks
    molly
    xx
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • hezcal
    hezcal Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Further to the tiger loaf mystery try this. Lightly toast some sesame seeds in a dry pan until they begin to brown. Then put in a pestle and mortar and grind to a powder. Then add some plain flour, veg oil and sugar and mix until a paste is formed. Brush onto your basic bread mix as it proves and bake in the normal way. The effect needs work butthe taste very similar to the Asda/ Tesco loaf.
    Let me know how you get on.

CHEERS
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    henhog wrote: »
    Couldn't help but add to this thread. DS1 had to describe a healthy lunch box for a school project. As part of this he wrote "a cheese tiger's paw" (the name Asda give to their Tiger's Bread rolls) - the teacher put a big question mark next to it and wrote "Are you sure about this James? What do you mean!?"
    Obviously not an Asda shopper! :D

My little one loves 'paws and cheese' or sometimes she chooses 'a tail' but either way we all love the bread. I will give this recipe a try and see what results I get.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • Greyflannels
    Options
    After some experimentation, I think I’ve solved how to make a tiger crust on bread using a Panasonic breadmaker.

First what didn’t work. The reader who was told by her supermarket to use sesame paste was misled. I tried sesame paste (tahini) and it produced a soft oily crust that wasn’t very nice.

Then I tried the elaborate paste recipe referred to by several readers using scaled down quantities. This partly worked but I couldn’t understand what the yeast, sugar and oil were supposed to be doing.

After all, the principle must be that rice flour contains no gluten and as the paste cannot expand as the bread dough is proving, it cracks.

Time to apply Occam’s Razor (don’t multiply contingencies unnecessarily – never failed me yet). So I excluded all ingredients that appeared to serve no useful purpose.

So here it is. Mix together 2 tablespoons rice flour, 2 tablespoons water and a good pinch of salt. Rice flour may be purchased in health food shops in the Gluten-free section.

Set up the breadmaker to make a loaf. With the Panasonic, set the browning control to D (dark crust).

One and a half hours before the bread is due to finish, paint the rice paste evenly over the surface of the dough using a soft pastry brush. At this time in the program, the breadmaker has finished kneading but the dough has not started to rise, thus giving maximum time for the rice glaze to crack.

This gives a really nice cracked crusty surface to the loaf.

I am too lazy to make bread by hand, so it would be interesting if someone who does could try this mix on their bread.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'll have to give this a try for my next loaf. For the sesame flavour, could you not substitute a small amount of the vegetable oil for sesame oil?
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • Greyflannels
    Options
    The point is, there is no oil at all in it. Just rice flour, water and a bit of salt.

To be honest, I think the sesame flavour thing is a bit of a red herring. If you really like the added flavour of sesame, you could try sprinkling sesame seed on top of the rice flour glaze.

I regularly top loaves with seeds (sesame or poppy) using the Panasonic breadmaker. Do this just before the bread is due to start cooking i.e. 1 hour before finish. Use a small hand pump sprayer (available from garden centres) to spray the surface of the loaf with water, then sprinkle the seeds over. The moisture helps the seeds to stick.
  • dearauntie
    Options
    Coming to this debate rather late, but turned up the thread as I was trying to discover how to make tiger bread.
    If the answer is a combination of brushing the crust with some variety of paste, and sesame oil, why not, just before baking begins, lightly brush with tahini, or if that isn't available, thinned houmous - both will give you a paste that may crack and a sesame flavour. Mine's rising now. I'll report back.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    dearauntie wrote: »
    Coming to this debate rather late, but turned up the thread as I was trying to discover how to make tiger bread.
    If the answer is a combination of brushing the crust with some variety of paste, and sesame oil, why not, just before baking begins, lightly brush with tahini, or if that isn't available, thinned houmous - both will give you a paste that may crack and a sesame flavour. Mine's rising now. I'll report back.
    I've not been back to this thread for more than 2 years!!! I'll be interested to see how your experiment works out :)

I've got a proper oven installed now, so I might do a little experimenting myself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure