Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue

Comments

• animel71
    animel71 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, I've just logged on and realised that you replied to my post a while ago. That is correct regarding 8 weeks but unfortunately I received no reply after 8 weeks and was then told that my complaint hadn't been received even though I had a copy of an acknowledgement of my complaint stating there would be an 8 week turn around. I re-sent the complaint and graciously gave yourselves a further 8 weeks in which to reply - unfortunately I again received no reply. I had tried to message you previously through trust pilot as you'd advised to correspond with your personal email address, unfortunately, no reply. This all led to us pursuing a claim through HM Court and Tribunals and we went to mediation, unfortunately no resolution through this. A judge has further looked at our claim and we are both going to court.
  • animel71
    Hi, after complaining to 247 Home rescue on numerous occasions, we never received a reply. We then pursued a claim through HM Court and Tribunals online - quite an easy form to complete where you can make a claim for money online, unfortunately I can't post the link as I'm a new user but it's fairly easy to find.

Through this we went to mediation but no resolution achieved so we then completed a directions questionnaire for a judge to look at our claim. They have looked at our claim and we our both going to small claims court in a few months, hope this helps :-)
  • Biscuit_Tin
    Biscuit_Tin Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 9 May 2019 at 6:15PM
    animel71 wrote: »
    Hi, after complaining to 247 Home rescue on numerous occasions, we never received a reply. We then pursued a claim through HM Court and Tribunals online - quite an easy form to complete where you can make a claim for money online, unfortunately I can't post the link as I'm a new user but it's fairly easy to find.

Through this we went to mediation but no resolution achieved so we then completed a directions questionnaire for a judge to look at our claim. They have looked at our claim and we our both going to small claims court in a few months, hope this helps :-)

Which county court will the hearing be at?
    Has the court provided you with the actual hearing date yet, and if so, can I enquire as to what that date will be, please :)

How much has this cost you so far in court fees?

What is the basics of the disagreement between you? (as you understand it)

From your previous posts, I know you were disputing the ongoing contract you had entered into. The contract was costing you £16.23 pm, but you claim that you had cancelled the contract within the cooling off period, so were not liable for ongoing charges.
    Your dispute originally was that the defendant was not replying to you, and presumably disputed you had cancelled within the cooling off period , as they also denied receiving the multiple complaints you seem to have made over this (according to you). Hence you had reached an impasse.

The defendant has openly admitted on this board about 6 months ago the frustration that you seemed to be suffering at that point, about 12 months after you entered into the contract.
    According to that post, the defendant provided you with a generic contact email to make contact with (as opposed to a personal one you claim you were told to use in another place), but you don't seem to have read that post made in January until today. Do we take it you never therefore used that generic email address in an attempt to make contact?

Well now you have both been through the mediation process, what is the position today? Obviously the defendant cannot be still using defence that they are still unaware of your complaint. But are you still claimed to be in contract according to the defendant some 18 months (more or less) after you originally entered into the contract? etc.
    Anything else?
  • animel71
    edited 9 May 2019 at 9:50PM
    Hi, so the court will be in Manchester. After my original post regarding 247 taking money from my account for no apparent reason we had further problems, Our boiler broke down and they asked for copy of last service, I said they should have this as we had boiler cover with them the year before, in actual fact they hadn't carried out the annual boiler service that was part of the boiler cover agreement. A lot of chasing them, being told our boiler was 'BER', having to pay the £75, they came out, got it up and running and then had to condemn it as there were cracks in the flue. We'd had a 36 point boiler check with npower just before going with 247 and that was 100%.

Complaint after complaint to which I never received a reply, I put a review on trust pilot, Sam from their social media team advised I correspond with him/her, which I did, no reply. (sorry, I thought it was the same social media address as the one given on this forum but it's actually a different person). Tried European online dispute resolution scheme, they never replied. Claimed for money back through HM Court and Tribunals,(I think I paid £60 court fee for this but you get this back if you win your claim, the system also allows you to claim interest on
    the money they owe you), went to mediation, no resolution, now going to court. We are claiming for a lot more money now, you get all your fees back if you win the case (bar the final £80 paid).

I had logged into this forum recently when I received the court date to see if there were many further complaints about them and noticed that they'd replied to my original post.

Regarding the original payments they had taken from me, after about 12 months, they stated it was for boiler cover that I had at another address, I stated I don't have another address so I just cancelled the direct debit but they have never refunded me for the 4 payments that they took.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I issued CC. They phoned me up in days and settled. I got back all my money for issuing the CC. I think it was £30.

It cost them to turn up at a CC.

Why did they turn up at any CC if they settled your claim within days of you issuing it? :huh:
  • Benight
    First Post
    edited 10 May 2019 at 2:03PM
    animel71 wrote: »
    Hi, so the court will be in Manchester. After my original post regarding 247 taking money from my account for no apparent reason we had further problems, Our boiler broke down and they asked for copy of last service, I said they should have this as we had boiler cover with them the year before, in actual fact they hadn't carried out the annual boiler service that was part of the boiler cover agreement. A lot of chasing them, being told our boiler was 'BER', having to pay the £75, they came out, got it up and running and then had to condemn it as there were cracks in the flue. We'd had a 36 point boiler check with npower just before going with 247 and that was 100%.

Complaint after complaint to which I never received a reply, I put a review on trust pilot, Sam from their social media team advised I correspond with him/her, which I did, no reply. (sorry, I thought it was the same social media address as the one given on this forum but it's actually a different person). Tried European online dispute resolution scheme, they never replied. Claimed for money back through HM Court and Tribunals,(I think I paid £60 court fee for this but you get this back if you win your claim, the system also allows you to claim interest on
    the money they owe you), went to mediation, no resolution, now going to court. We are claiming for a lot more money now, you get all your fees back if you win the case (bar the final £80 paid).

I had logged into this forum recently when I received the court date to see if there were many further complaints about them and noticed that they'd replied to my original post.

Regarding the original payments they had taken from me, after about 12 months, they stated it was for boiler cover that I had at another address, I stated I don't have another address so I just cancelled the direct debit but they have never refunded me for the 4 payments that they took.

When is the your court hearing date?

If I understand you correctly, you are claiming the refund of 4 monthly payments that were made (£16.23 per month) before you cancelled your Direct Debit mandate, as you claim these were not due because you had cancelled the policy under the cooling off procedure (a cancellation that is apparently disputed by the defendant)

So that is a claim for £64.92

How did that accrue a court cost of £60 to make that claim? :huh:

What was the other £80 court fees you refer to? Why will you not get that back even if you win your claim?
  • Benight
    First Post
    edited 10 May 2019 at 4:35PM
    No................they settled in days of the claim being filed. If not they have to turn up at court ....

You have edited your previous post.

but in response to this latest one, not necessarily.

They can file a defence, or admit the claim in part.
    It's then up to the court to assess the claim, or any part thereof unsettled, and the defence offered to decide if there needs to be a hearing.

Or maybe the court recommends mediation. (often done by phone)

If there is to be a hearing, then there is an additional cost you as the complainant would need to pay. (and then parties would need to attend)

Or the court can give judgement without a hearing (unusual), but perhaps believes the claim, or even less often at this stage, the defence to be without merit.
    If they don't turn up...............I would still win.

Again, not necessarily.

You still have to prove your case to the required burden of proof.
    But as that standard is one of being more probable than not, and with no one countering the claim at the hearing, that standard is often easily met by the time the case gets to a hearing, but not always.
  • animel71
    Oh, that's very helpful, thanks for letting me know , :-)
  • Thank you for your post. I will follow your advise and take 24/7 HR to Court.
    alibee23 wrote: »
    For all those that have got nowhere with this company`s claims proceedure, and exhausted all their dispute proceedures,which incidently are a disgrace, simply logon to Money Claims On Line (MCOL). For around £35.00 if the claim is less than £1000, you can set up a case in the small claims court. Make sure you fill in all the forms correctly and provide the court with all the information that they will request once the claim becomes active. In my case as I represented myself the court was sympathetic to me with regard to the fact that I should have sent more information at the outset , but they did allow the case to proceed. (There is help if you are not sure what to do). Make sure you have everything written down and keep all relevant invoices and documents to hand as you are required to make a statement to the presiding judge, and they will need to be viewed .Depending on your location you will be given a choice of courts,however the final choice on venue will be decided by the tribunals service and you may have to travel a short distance .If you feel intimidated by representing yourself the proccedure is very low key and usually in a small room rather than a large court.As I stated in my first post you may have a barrister representing 247 Home Rescue to oppose you, but as i proved if you present an honest account to the court you will win. I feel sure in time 247 Home Rescue will take a more pragmatic view and hopefully settle most cases out of court rather than risk losing financially and more importantly their already tarnished reputation.
  • Mojouk
    Mojouk Posts: 1 Newbie
    Purchased a comprehensive policy and was told by the sales guy that my 15 year old boiler was covered. When i went to make a claim i was told it is not covered and would need to pay a callout fee. wehn i tried to cancel they tell me i cant because im tied in for one year even though their email explicitly states that it is a 30 day rolling contract? to make matters worse, they have charged me for a Service which they did not carry out and charged for adding inhibitor which they did not do and now refusing to refund the money. this is a cowboy outfit so avoid!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback