'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Comments

• Did a sale of books and DVDs online yesterday and included The Oxford Murders, so I've officially given up on it :o

Should be another £30 to pay off Barclaycard (altogether, not just for The Oxford Murders! :eek::rotfl:)
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 July 2018 at 8:32AM
    Does anyone listen to audio books? I just started a free trial on Audible yesterday (as part of a Swagbucks offer) and although I find my concentration sometimes drifts off, I've found it really relaxing. I don't think it would be worth the £7.99 per month for me though, so I'll likely cancel it after the free trial.

:wave: Welcome, FaceHeelTurn!

I only listen to them occasionally. I still love the physical action of reading, but it's swings and roundabouts and some people love them (although I like the Harry Potter audiobooks)!
    Did a sale of books and DVDs online yesterday and included The Oxford Murders, so I've officially given up on it :o

Should be another £30 to pay off Barclaycard (altogether, not just for The Oxford Murders! :eek::rotfl:)

Who says crime doesn't pay?! :rotfl:
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• InaPickle wrote: »
    :wave: Welcome, FaceHeelTurn!

I only listen to them occasionally. I still love the phyiscal action of reading, but it's swings and roundabouts and some people love them (although I like the Harry Potter audiobooks)!

Who says crime doesn't pay?! :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • It's been a pretty bad year for reading for me. I had a target of 21 books and have only managed 7 so far :(
    I'm reading Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks and The Girl Who Saved Christmas by Matt Haig at the moment. I am finding it hard to concentrate for a long time so I'm enjoying reading short stories. So far both are really good, The Tom Hanks book is pretty varied but all the stories so far are quite positive which is nice.
    No more buying books Books in 2016 = 20.
    Target for 2018 = 7/21
    No more buying DVDs ? 2018 target 27/52

Sealed pot challenge member #1733
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 5 December 2018 at 12:41PM
    blindtoast wrote: »
    It's been a pretty bad year for reading for me. I had a target of 21 books and have only managed 7 so far :(
    I'm reading Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks and The Girl Who Saved Christmas by Matt Haig at the moment. I am finding it hard to concentrate for a long time so I'm enjoying reading short stories. So far both are really good, The Tom Hanks book is pretty varied but all the stories so far are quite positive which is nice.

Lovely to see someone posting on the thread, it's been very quiet for ages.

It's been a bad reading year for me too:(. I was ill for a few months earlier this year and thought the enforced slowing down and relaxing would be a great opportunity to read all day without feeling guilty. No such luck, my mind was all over the place and I just couldn't concentrate enough to drum up any enthusiasm for whatever book I started on:o. I doubt I'll have such a good reading opportunity ever again unless (heaven forbid) I'm ill again:eek:. Feeling 100% again now but have so many other things to catch up on I can only read after tea when I'm so tired I nod off in my recliner chair:o.

I picked up The Tattooist of Auschwitz in a charity shop recently. I vowed not to buy any more books but I dropped off about 20 donated books there so although I paid £1 for this one I consider it more of a swap. That's my excuse anyway. It's a true story and I've heard good reports of it. Am hoping to start it tonight if sleep doesn't intervene;)
  • InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    blindtoast wrote: »
    It's been a pretty bad year for reading for me. I had a target of 21 books and have only managed 7 so far :(

I find I read in ebbs and flows...I'll go mad for a bit, then it will calm down. Could you be similar?
    Lovely to see someone posting on the thread, it's been very quiet for ages.

It's been a bad reading year for me too:(. I was ill for a few months earlier this year and thought the enforced slowing down and relaxing would be a great opportunity to read all day without feeling guilty. No such luck, my mind was all over the place and I just couldn't concentrate enough to drum up any enthusiasm for whatever book I started on:o. I doubt I'll have such a good reading opportunity ever again unless (heaven forbid) I'm ill again:eek:. Feeling 100% again now but have so many other things to catch up on I can only read after tea when I'm so tired I nod off in my recliner chair:o.

I picked up The Tattooist of Auschwitz in a charity shop recently. I vowed not to buy any more books but I dropped off about 20 donated books there so although I paid £1 for this one I consider it more of a swap. That's my excuse anyway. It's a true story and I've heard good reports of it. Am hoping to start it tonight if sleep doesn't intervene;)

That sounds like a fascinating book, CBC. Any good?

Also, I find that when I have official time to read like you just described, the desire dissipates. I'm not sure why that is, but it's definitely A Thing.

I've *finally* finished all the Game of Thrones books and it took me a while, I'm not going to lie. They are good, but a serious time investment. Still, I got them read before the start of the last season, which was my aim, so well done me"! :T

I think I've read more books since, but I've just read The Merky Story So Far (Stormzy), How to Live Plastic Free (Marine Society) and another library book I can't remember, as well at the latest Rebus book.

Not a bad start to the year, overall...although my next wish it to read the infamous Marie Kondo book on tidying so that might be the rest of the year gone on decluttering! :rotfl:
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh I also read Mr Quiet from the Mr Men series! :D
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• Great to see someone posting on here again:j. It's been so quiet for weeks.

InaPickle wrote: »

That sounds like a fascinating book, CBC. Any good?

I haven't even started it yet. Too many RL problems have given me little time. I've dipped in and out of several books but can't really get into any of them. I unearthed a book of short stories by Alice Munro recently and am giving that a go. A short story is the extent of my concentration span at the moment:o

Also, I find that when I have official time to read like you just described, the desire dissipates. I'm not sure why that is, but it's definitely A Thing.

Can definitely relate to that!

Not a bad start to the year, overall...although my next wish it to read the infamous Marie Kondo book on tidying so that might be the rest of the year gone on decluttering! :rotfl:

I hope you have more success with it than I did (both the reading and the decluttering:eek:). It was one of the few books that I wanted to physically hurl across the room. Something about it and Marie Kondo irritated me beyond reason:o
  • InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Great to see someone posting on here again:j. It's been so quiet for weeks.

I was too busy reading! :D

As for the Kondo book...maybe giving her book that I've borrowed from the library will be the start of the decluttering! :rotfl:
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    InaPickle wrote: »
    As for the Kondo book...maybe giving her book that I've borrowed from the library will be the start of the decluttering! :rotfl:

I'm still reading it. The spirit it willing, but the flesh is weak! :rotfl:
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport