PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feels like a mammoth declutter needed

Planning to move house next year - downsizing (a bit). Big 5 bed to smaller 4 bed probably.

Really don't want to be trundling all the clobber half way across the country.

And there is the problem, far , far too much clobber. Have already decided we are only transporting the furniture we really like and the rest will go to local furniture recycling service - that is probably less of a problem

Have started with clearing out my wardrobe :eek: actually the wardrobe was full and never opened so I dumped everything I was using on the sofa. :( Now it is possible to sit on the sofa :) and there is just the right amount of stuff in the wardrobe.

Onto the chest of drawers - two drawers are full of Xmas paper :o OK will use it this year and not buy any new.

Next stop.... my study.. wish me luck

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I wish you all the best with the study

I got as far as getting shot of all the rubbish from mine, but have never got around to getting it all put back together again :rotfl:

And the wardrobe still hasn't been started

Both things I had promised I would get done this year
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good luck and well done on the start...I have a lot of clutter ot get rid of. Thing is though, I tend to look at it, start decluttering, then stop and wonder what next. The charity bag gets an item very other day when it really should be full every day...Just haven't got the oomph to descend on it like a Valkyrie...
    I think I'd better read the kon marie thread....[also a procrastination thing though...:) ]
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Procrastination! that is the problem - see I'm back on MSE and not doing any sorting... well it is lunchtime I suppose
  • Oh Flugelhorn - you have my total sympathy :(. I'm another who desperately needs a seriously good declutter :cry:.

Back in June, I had a friend come to stay overnight after going to a concert and I DID manage to evacuate quite a lot of stuff - just enough to make the back bedroom 'habitable' for a one-night guest ;).

But I have so much in the way of 'baking clobber'; biscuit/cookie cutters; fairy cake trays; barely used Food Processor; never used toastie maker; never used microwave pressure cooker; never used microwave rice cooker; 2 Pressure Cookers (one regularly used); one time only used 'set of three stay-warm casserole-style dishes'; FOUR flasks; 5 Pyrex Dishes various sizes; three beautiful trifle dishes ................... nobody ever eats the darn stuff :(.

I think I SERIOUSLY need to list some of these things on Freecycle/Freegle ...................... be back later!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have empathy! I was in your position 12 months ago and decluttered as far as I thought I could, which to be fair wasn't that much :o

Easiest were the clothes (and books, but only on account of the fact I couldn't part with a single one) and some of the stuff I'd stored in the shed just in case, but the rest more or less came with me. No way could I part with my carefully hoarded baking equipment! 9 months on, I still have a couple of boxes of office "essentials" in my study to be unpacked.
    I think I SERIOUSLY need to list some of these things on Freecycle/Freegle ...................... be back later!
    All of these will go like a flash on Freecycle. But I find that it's such a hassle ping-ponging messages to interested people and then waiting in for them when I could be getting on with something else (perhaps it's just me, but I would not be happy for someone to collect from me after dark). It's just more expedient to donate such things to the chazzer, at least they can make a profit from it.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I had a mammoth declutter Saturday and Sunday. I feel so much happier going home now. It's a marathon not a sprint, but two solid days work has got the place looking so much better :)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I used the marie kondo method. And it's still tidy after 2 years! In fact I'm constantly looking for things to get rid of.
    I've become quite minimal, and don't buy half as much as I used to. The feeling of not having clutter around ( even if it's well hidden in storage boxes) is so freeing and it's so easy to clean and keep tidy.
    Good luck ! It's definitely worth it.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Wort, I would definitely agree with you.
    I am also always sorting and tidying, looking for stuff for the chazzer.
    I'm getting better at it as well, stuff I would have once dithered over goes out without a qualm now.
  • Flugelhorn wrote: »
    Planning to move house next year - downsizing (a bit). Big 5 bed to smaller 4 bed probably.

Really don't want to be trundling all the clobber half way across the country.

And there is the problem, far , far too much clobber. Have already decided we are only transporting the furniture we really like and the rest will go to local furniture recycling service - that is probably less of a problem

Have started with clearing out my wardrobe :eek: actually the wardrobe was full and never opened so I dumped everything I was using on the sofa. :( Now it is possible to sit on the sofa :) and there is just the right amount of stuff in the wardrobe.

Onto the chest of drawers - two drawers are full of Xmas paper :o OK will use it this year and not buy any new.

Next stop.... my study.. wish me luck

Flugelhorn,

If you would like to keep the momentum going you could join your fellow declutterers on the thread ‘2018 - No Clutter to be Seen’ :rotfl:
    There are lots of us cheering each other on, gaining inspiration & ‘decluttering mojo’ We are a friendly bunch who tell tales of ‘Bugs Bunny Cupboards’, ‘cupboards of Doom’, rooms of Doom etc :rotfl:

We welcome new declutterers with open arms & smiley faces. There is no need to pick a numbering system :D - although some of us do list items eg 2018 items for 2018, or 52/52 & we even have a poster who lists by weight :rotfl:

So Flugelhorn (and the other posters who have posted to this thread) please, please, please come & join us :D

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    One quick declutter condensed-kondo idea I recently read about was from a lady who quickly needed to move. She put a moving box in each room and filled it with the most important things from that room. The rest was 'optional' and most was donated.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure