Render or cladding?

Ader1
Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
This is the rear of my property. It's a red brick wall which has been white-washed then painted over down the years. It looks terrible and there's one or two spots where a little dampness is seeping through. I've been thinking of rendering it with a mortar mix. Well getting a pro plasterer to do it. I've also thought of using this new type of cladding which I think is a cement fibre board. If I get the plasterer to do it, I'll first need to sand-blast the wall to clean it and then carry a couple of tonnes of sand etc through the house as there's no rear entrance. I'm not too bothered about carrying it through the house. There are no carpets to damage. What do you guys think would be the best for this scenario? Any help/ideas appreciated.

Wal1.jpg

Comments

• Ader1
    Didn't get much joy here. :-(
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Give us a chance ...

If that's a lovely Victorian brick wall then it just needs lime pointing and a chance to breathe and dry out. Look at soda-blasting to remove the paint; it's a lot less destructive than sand.

On no account let anything remotely cemetitious pass your threshold. It sets harder than the brick and will trap moisture.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,418
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    On no account let anything remotely cemetitious pass your threshold.

If render is really wanted, then a pure lime based coating would be the most appropriate - That is a lime and sand mix. No added cement.

The pointing should also be done with a lime mortar for the same reasons as above.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Best solution would be to apply external wall insulation, which is usually finished with a special render, but you could finish with a cladding if you preferred. This would both cut heat loss and solve the aesthetic problems.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I will echo some of the other replies, based on the fact you seem to have an old terrace house. Have the paint stripped off and then repoint the brick work, specifying a lime
    mortar.

The house will thank you for it, it won’t be particularly more expensive if at all and it will look great.
  • Ader1
    ed110220 wrote: »
    Best solution would be to apply external wall insulation, which is usually finished with a special render, but you could finish with a cladding if you preferred. This would both cut heat loss and solve the aesthetic problems.

What do you mean by an external wall insulation for this type of job? Thanks.
  • Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    Ader1 wrote: »
    What do you mean by an external wall insulation for this type of job? Thanks.
    They attach insulation to the outside, then roughcast over it.
    From seeing the houses done locally, it'll build out your wall by 3-4 inches. With them being LA houses here, the downpipes are just recessed into the new outer coating and look terrible.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It doesn't have to be rough cast, smooth render over external wall insulation is pretty common too. The render is often coloured so it does not need painting. Alternatively pretty much any cladding that can be applied to a wall (hanging tiles, wood, composite, uPVC etc) can be applied over the insulation.

Usually downpipes are removed and then put back on top of the finished insulated wall rather than recessed.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Ader1
    Give us a chance ...

If that's a lovely Victorian brick wall then it just needs lime pointing and a chance to breathe and dry out. Look at soda-blasting to remove the paint; it's a lot less destructive than sand.

On no account let anything remotely cemetitious pass your threshold. It sets harder than the brick and will trap moisture.

What other ways could I employ to remove the paint possibly lime wash from the walls? Any ideas? I was hoping to do it myself if possible.
  • Ader1
    Any more ideas about the render/cladding? I've decided to use the services of a sand-blaster to remove the old 'render'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure