Incapacity Benefit To ESA Underpayment

Options
Hi I'm new and I think I've already posted my question somewhere as couldn't work out how to create a new thread.!I've completed an esa3 ibr form and have recognised I will be entitled to backdated edp however I've also noticed that back in 2012 I was receiving £70 something living expenses. If I had been assessed for IR top up, would my living expenses have been higher as I have a wife who had come off JSA and was receiving nothing at all. Any advice appreciated

Quick Reply

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mrsm74 wrote: »
    Hi I'm new and I think I've already posted my question somewhere as couldn't work out how to create a new thread.!I've completed an esa3 ibr form and have recognised I will be entitled to backdated edp however I've also noticed that back in 2012 I was receiving £70 something living expenses. If I had been assessed for IR top up, would my living expenses have been higher as I have a wife who had come off JSA and was receiving nothing at all. Any advice appreciated

If you were receiving income based ESA your wife would have been added to your claim and your entitlement would have been calculated on your circumstances as a couple. Your entitlement would likely have been higher as a result if your wife had no income of her own.

I'm not sure what you mean by you were receiving £70 living expenses in 2012 - from where?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mrsm74
    mrsm74 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. On my ESA benefit breakdown it starts with 'Living Expenses For You £72' the problem is I was on Contribution Based having been migrated over from Incapacity Benefit. I wasn't assessed for an income related top up. If they had, they would've discovered that I was entitled as my wife had been made redundant and wasn't claiming hence why they have sent me an ESA 3 (ibr) claim form. Thanks again
  • mrsm74
    Options
    Update; So I received a call from DWP yesterday to ask me a few questions I hadn't completed on the form. Only took a few minutes then he said my claim was now being sent to his colleagues in processing. Don't know how long this will take but at least things are moving.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your wife had no savings from any compensation paid for redundancy?

If so.....good luck.
  • mrsm74
    Options
    No savings unfortunately and redundancy was under 16k and was used within about 6 months. Not really sure how long the process takes and not 100% on what we'll be entitled to. Currently on week 10 from dwp receiving my completed form
  • peppapiglet
    Options
    Hi MrsM74

Just wondering if you have now had a reply by now? My husband is currently into week 12 (will be 12 weeks on Monday 1st April) afer sending his forms first week in January, signed for by DWP 7th January.

He has not had any contact whatsoever between January and now, now phones calls or texts. Would be helpful to know if DWP adhere to the 12 weeks or not. I have an awful feeling that that they will say they haven't received the forms - although I have read somewhere that if they don't receive the forms they send reminders?

Hope if you did hear it was good news, and would appreciate knowing if it took 12 weeks or more.

Thank you

PP
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi MrsM74

Just wondering if you have now had a reply by now? My husband is currently into week 12 (will be 12 weeks on Monday 1st April) afer sending his forms first week in January, signed for by DWP 7th January.

He has not had any contact whatsoever between January and now, now phones calls or texts. Would be helpful to know if DWP adhere to the 12 weeks or not. I have an awful feeling that that they will say they haven't received the forms - although I have read somewhere that if they don't receive the forms they send reminders?

Hope if you did hear it was good news, and would appreciate knowing if it took 12 weeks or more.

Thank you

PP
    The 12 weeks was just a guide and it has now increased to well over than time for many people. The best thing you can do is ring DWP to check they received the form and to ask if there's any updates. Other than that you'll need to wait for a letter, or money in your bank if you're owed anything.
  • mrsm74
    Options
    Hi, No I'm still no further forward!

I called for an update a few weeks ago and the man said if I haven't heard by 15th March, to call and ask it to be escalated. Ive called twice since 15th March but nobody knows how to escalate it.

Guess I need to just wait. It's been 16 weeks for me so far so they're obviously not keeping to the 12 weeks.

I was like your husband, I hadn't heard anything from December when I posted the paperwork so I ended up calling in February and they confirmed it had been received. It's very frustrating!
  • mrsm74
    Options
    I'd have hoped if people are assessed as not being entitled to backpay, theyd be told well before week 12 or 16 as it goes through several stages prior to going to processing. Ive read of people being told by week 2 but I suppose anything is possible.
  • peppapiglet
    Options
    Thank you for replying. 16 weeks is a long time! I will come back and update when my husband has a response, either way. Would be grateful if you could do the same, so I can have some idea how long he is looking at.

Thank you

PP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family