MSE News: Dwell ceases trading Q&A: your rights

Options
"Furniture chain Dwell has today ceased trading, with all 23 stores to close immediately and no customer orders delivered ..."
Read the full story:
Dwell ceases trading Q&A: your rights

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• aimingforadebtfreelife
    Options
    Well not a great surprise. The voucher they issued last year would have been costly to them. A £20 off and no minimum spend especially when shared on here must have sent cashflow down the pan.
  • charlie432
    Options
    I am owed a refund from Dwell (from last Weds 12th). What are my options now as I have not received this!
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    charlie432 wrote: »
    I am owed a refund from Dwell (from last Weds 12th). What are my options now as I have not received this!

You'd probably fail in to the same category as not receiving goods. And then it depends on how you paid in the first place. From the FAQs...
    Will I get my money back if my items fail to arrive?

If you paid by cash or cheque then it is highly unlikely you will get your money back as customers are at the bottom of the queue when it comes to payouts from administrators.

If you paid on card, then you have rights.

Credit card payments for items between £100 and £30,000. If you paid on credit card and the item cost £100 or more, even if you paid just £1 of the cost on a credit card (and the rest by another means), you are protected under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act (see our Section 75 Refunds guide). Here, card companies are jointly liable with a retailer if something goes wrong, if the item was £100 or more. So if the item never arrives, ask your card company for a refund.
    All other card payments. If you bought goods on a debit card, or goods under £100 on a credit card, you may still be able to claim for faulty goods under the Visa, Mastercard or American Express chargeback schemes, though this only applies within the first 120 days of buying the goods. The protection is less strong than Section 75, but it's certainly worth a try.
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • charlie432
    Options
    I paid by debit card and the payment was take in January 2013...so I am probably over the 120 days now! That's £329 lost! :(
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    charlie432 wrote: »
    I paid by debit card and the payment was take in January 2013...so I am probably over the 120 days now! That's £329 lost! :(

I would take any and all correspondence to your bank and explain to them that you wish to do a chargeback since the refund was only agreed on Wednesday 12th june. Not conclusive, but worth a try.

I would also approach the Administrators when they are appointed in order to get your claim in. But I think you would be very low down the chain.
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • charlie432
    Options
    I am going to speak to them today. Only problem is that the correspondence was via the phone!! Oh well, I will try but not holding out hope!
  • hanlou007
    hanlou007 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Dwell?? never even heard of them - no wonder theyve gone bust
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hanlou007 wrote: »
    Dwell?? never even heard of them

Probably because they only had 23 stores.

But not surprising they've gone down the pan. If memory serves, this is one of those stores that has massive floor space with only a handful of items on display.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • dreamypuma
    dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do we really need a Q&A thread on consumer rights for every retailer that goes to the wall? Why not just have a comprehensive sticky?

I guess this will also be padding for the next MoneySaving email which too feels like deja vu.

Personally, I think the demise of this retailer was foreseeable.
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
  • Ozzyc
    Ozzyc Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    HELP??? Does anyone know... I purchased 6 dinning rooms chairs from dwell on my mastercard on February 20th 2013, in a single transaction. I was told I could expect delivery 12 April of course they haven't arrived.. the price of the chairs individual was £99 each although I purchased 6 as a 'set' in a single transaction total value £594...can I still use section 75 to claim the total cost back??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure