Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlueKobra
    • By BlueKobra 18th May 19, 1:08 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BlueKobra
    Interest Only Mortgage
    • 18th May 19, 1:08 AM
    Interest Only Mortgage 18th May 19 at 1:08 AM
    Hi!

Iím looking for advice on behalf of my grandparent who is at the end of their interest only mortgage.

The house is valued at 220k with a 80k mortgage outstanding, my grandparent is aged 75.

Currently their plan is to sell the property and repay the outstanding mortgage and then look for a rented property as they will be unable to afford to buy another house with potentially 130k and be left with 0 money afterwards. (after cc repayments etc - also not looking for flats/apartments).

With this in mind when the money does eventually run out they are hoping they would be able to get support from the council with accommodation.

Has anyone had a similar situation with an elderly family member? Iím also not clued up on how the benefit situation works with support on accommodation.
    Does this sound like a good option/road to go down or would you suggest a different option?

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th May 19, 1:48 AM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 3,984 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 18th May 19, 1:48 AM
    • 18th May 19, 1:48 AM
    Currently their plan is to sell the property and repay the outstanding mortgage and then look for a rented property as they will be unable to afford to buy another house with potentially 130k and be left with 0 money afterwards.
    Depends where they are. My 3 bed semi detached house is valued at roughly that, I sold a 2 bed one with a conservatory I'd fully refurbished for £107k. If they were willing to relocate then they absolutely could buy a house outright for that or less.

I’m also not clued up on how the benefit situation works with support on accommodation.
    Basically until they get down to their last £6000-£10,000 they'll get no assistance.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 18th May 19, 8:41 AM
    • 14,237 Posts
    • 16,941 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 18th May 19, 8:41 AM
    • 18th May 19, 8:41 AM
    What about equity release ? Plenty of different types with different costs. Would let them stay in their own house.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 18th May 19, 5:55 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 18th May 19, 5:55 PM
    • 18th May 19, 5:55 PM
    Look at housing associations in their area maybe for over 55s. Rent is cheaper than private and secure.
    I put my name down for the one I wanted and got one offered after 2 years.
    Maybe look at sheltered housing also
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 20th May 19, 12:42 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    muhandis
    • 20th May 19, 12:42 PM
    • 20th May 19, 12:42 PM
    Given that he's 75 (and appears to be living by himself?) and has decent equity in the property, releasing a lumpsum through one of the available equity release options for people in the latter years of their life, might be the best option.

One of those options might allow him to release a lump sum and continue to live in his home "rent free" while living off the lump sum and any other income that he has.

The downsides are that there will be very little/nothing to inherit when he passes away, the interest rates are very high compared to mortgages and having cash as opposed to equity in a property might impact any means-tested benefits that he is eligible for.

In any case, you need to take proper professional advice before going down this route.

See here for full details ( https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/equity-release/)

Hi!

Iím looking for advice on behalf of my grandparent who is at the end of their interest only mortgage.

The house is valued at 220k with a 80k mortgage outstanding, my grandparent is aged 75.

Currently their plan is to sell the property and repay the outstanding mortgage and then look for a rented property as they will be unable to afford to buy another house with potentially 130k and be left with 0 money afterwards. (after cc repayments etc - also not looking for flats/apartments).

With this in mind when the money does eventually run out they are hoping they would be able to get support from the council with accommodation.

Has anyone had a similar situation with an elderly family member? Iím also not clued up on how the benefit situation works with support on accommodation.
    Does this sound like a good option/road to go down or would you suggest a different option?

Many thanks!
    Originally posted by BlueKobra
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 20th May 19, 3:21 PM
    • 6,400 Posts
    • 7,412 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 20th May 19, 3:21 PM
    • 20th May 19, 3:21 PM
    What sort of pension income does he have?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,480Posts Today

6,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Can't believe my luck. Just got this email My name is Manuel Franco. I won $768.4m Lottery Jackpot. I have a don? https://t.co/OSYkS7tu2c

• It should be a poll. You are implying your view is the only view anyone can hold. Clearly the poll results show tha? https://t.co/ur0ejJ1fjB

• Today's Twitter Poll: Is milkshaking legitimate political protest or unacceptable thuggery? In recent weeks a few? https://t.co/hjCpu9zqwZ

• Follow Martin