Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caveman38
    • By caveman38 18th May 19, 9:58 AM
    • 938Posts
    • 304Thanks
    caveman38
    How am I being hacked?
    • 18th May 19, 9:58 AM
    How am I being hacked? 18th May 19 at 9:58 AM
    I have recently received emails from eBay, Microsoft & Amazon informing me of actual or attempted change of passwords.
    I know that my eBay account was hacked and a trader in Casablanca, Morocco put items up for same using my account. Amazon was an attempt and my password was changed on my Microsoft account.
    I have closed my Amazon account and thought things were sorted at eBay before another attempt this morning, which has prompted me to close that too (although it is a long winded procedure)
    Can anyone offer advice /info how hacking is achieved as I haven't used my eBay or amazon account for months and what point is there of hacking a Microsoft account.
    Please help and offer any advise of which device to purge and future prevention
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 18th May 19, 10:15 AM
    • 4,051 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 18th May 19, 10:15 AM
    • 18th May 19, 10:15 AM
    Did you EVER use the same password for ebay, Amazon or microsoft??

Last edited by ballyblack; 18-05-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    • caveman38
    • By caveman38 18th May 19, 11:31 AM
    • 938 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    caveman38
    • 18th May 19, 11:31 AM
    • 18th May 19, 11:31 AM
    Did you EVER use the same password for ebay, Amazon or microsoft??

Originally posted by ballyblack
    Maybe once years ago. But the latest passwords were now different. Plus on each account the hacker asked to or successfully reset the passwords.
    On my Amazon account a code was sent to my email account to reset the p/w which I assume he was unable to do and was unsuccessful in resetting it. But on the eBay and MS accounts he requested and received the necessary change of password without it being sent to my email address or mobile. I only knew because they both asked if "was it you" messages.
    I can see a possible link in that my email address could have been common to logging in as Username but the resetting password without my involvement baffles me
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 18th May 19, 12:58 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 18th May 19, 12:58 PM
    • 18th May 19, 12:58 PM
    Scan your devices for malware. If they have access to your PC they can use your existing login sessions or get the passwords from your browser if they're saved.

Have you changed your email password? This is the common link, you won't see password reset emails if they can get in and delete them.

Enable two factor authentication everywhere possible if you haven't already.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 18th May 19, 12:59 PM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 18th May 19, 12:59 PM
    • 18th May 19, 12:59 PM
    Have you run any malware checkers to test if your machine is compromised?
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 18th May 19, 1:38 PM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 18th May 19, 1:38 PM
    • 18th May 19, 1:38 PM
    Funnily enough, I had a load of the same things last weekend but it seems to have stopped again now.

My email got hacked a couple of years ago and I found they'd set up an auto forwarding rule so they got the confirm reset emails. Following that, I changed all my passwords to hopefully more secure ones.

I suspect that my email has resurfaced somewhere in connection with the old hacked passwords and someone is trying on the off chance I haven't changed one somewhere.

I've turned on 2 factor authentication wherever possible as well.
    • caveman38
    • By caveman38 18th May 19, 3:29 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    caveman38
    • 18th May 19, 3:29 PM
    • 18th May 19, 3:29 PM
    I've turned on 2 factor authentication wherever possible as well.
    Originally posted by chrisw

Is that only available when the Bank, BS have their own or can you introduce your own?
    • Croft12
    • By Croft12 19th May 19, 12:23 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Croft12
    • 19th May 19, 12:23 PM
    • 19th May 19, 12:23 PM
    Is that only available when the Bank, BS have their own or can you introduce your own?
    Originally posted by caveman38

many trading websites have it - but you have to enable it. amazon etc

OP: Update PC to latest OS updates, Run install best AV you can and do full scan. Run and install best malware scanner and full scan.

maker sure if you cannot use 2 factor you have long random passwords.

As an extra you could (at a small cost) get a pre payment card for your online spending where sites store your credit card details

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards/

if you can't junk your (compromised) e-mail address completely get a second one change that as the stored address for online website use etc.

How do you access the internet? Shared wifi or something you could get hacked via?

Just a word of caution never trust e-mails saying your account might have been compromised. Manually log into the website in question don't follow any e-mail links!!!!!
    Last edited by Croft12; 19-05-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 19th May 19, 12:34 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    glennevis
    • 19th May 19, 12:34 PM
    • 19th May 19, 12:34 PM
    Go to
    haveibeenpwned.com
    and check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 19th May 19, 1:16 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    eamon
    A work colleague had her ebay a/c hacked recently, an item posted, sold and weirdly a small (15.45) deposit to her Paypal a/c.

I suspect its a variation on the Trojan horse theme.

Takeover an existing account, list bogus items and then wait and see what happens. There must be millions of dormant/barely used accounts on ebay that are vulnerable.

List bogus item
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,550Posts Today

6,225Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Can't believe my luck. Just got this email My name is Manuel Franco. I won $768.4m Lottery Jackpot. I have a don? https://t.co/OSYkS7tu2c

• It should be a poll. You are implying your view is the only view anyone can hold. Clearly the poll results show tha? https://t.co/ur0ejJ1fjB

• Today's Twitter Poll: Is milkshaking legitimate political protest or unacceptable thuggery? In recent weeks a few? https://t.co/hjCpu9zqwZ

• Follow Martin