Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrsm74
    • By mrsm74 15th Feb 19, 10:19 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 4Thanks
    mrsm74
    Incapacity Benefit To ESA Underpayment
    • 15th Feb 19, 10:19 AM
    Incapacity Benefit To ESA Underpayment 15th Feb 19 at 10:19 AM
    Hi I'm new and I think I've already posted my question somewhere as couldn't work out how to create a new thread.!I've completed an esa3 ibr form and have recognised I will be entitled to backdated edp however I've also noticed that back in 2012 I was receiving £70 something living expenses. If I had been assessed for IR top up, would my living expenses have been higher as I have a wife who had come off JSA and was receiving nothing at all. Any advice appreciated

Quick Reply
Page 2
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 13th Apr 19, 6:09 PM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 11,127 Thanks
    KxMx
    Reading this thread has made me quite sad

I got these forms a week or so ago and filled them out and sent them back within a day, but I guess i didn't read the part about the 12 week wait.

Does anyone know if there are any indicators as to whether or not i'll get a payout ?

My IB and ESA claims have all been fairly 'vanilla' - I don't have any savings or any other money and didn't have any when i was moved from IB if that makes any difference.
    Originally posted by jasonwatkins
    From my understanding, if you were awarded Support Group you have a very good chance of getting backpay, WRAG much less so.

Of course I am speaking generally and there are always exceptions.
    Last edited by KxMx; 13-04-2019 at 6:17 PM.
    • jasonwatkins
    • By jasonwatkins 13th Apr 19, 8:13 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    jasonwatkins
    From my understanding, if you were awarded Support Group you have a very good chance of getting backpay, WRAG much less so.

Of course I am speaking generally and there are always exceptions.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    Thanks. To be honest, I can barely remember what happened last week let alone 8 years ago

I think there's a fairly strong chance I was WRAG though so i'm really not expecting anything but I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

My luck doesn't work like that anyway, so they'd no doubt find a way to not pay me anything !
    • mrsm74
    • By mrsm74 23rd Apr 19, 3:38 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mrsm74
    Update: 18 weeks since DWP received my completed paperwork and still no further forward. Don't know of its even worth calling them as haven't been very successful the past two times I've done this.
    • BBS19
    • By BBS19 24th Apr 19, 4:17 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BBS19
    Hey Mrsm74.

Still nothing my end either. Iím now in week 23 since they received my completed form and tomorrow will be the beginning of week 12 since it was received by the Ďprocessing teamí!

When I phoned to see what was happening a few weeks ago, the lady I spoke to said to call back when it had got to the 12 weeks (but also said it can take longer at the moment due to the sheer volume of claims theyíre having to re-assess). The only thing she could tell me was that the form had been checked by her department, and the date íprocessingí received it. I donít have any other numbers to ring, and Iím guessing it would be futile to phone that department again.

Wouldnít it be good if we both got a nice letter in the post this morning! *sends all the positive vibes to the postmen and women* 😊
    • mrsm74
    • By mrsm74 24th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mrsm74
    Hi BBS19

Going into week 10 for me since my paperwork was sent to processing �� and I was pretty much told the same as you the last time I called for an update.

Yes, I'd be delighted if we both received decisions about this today!
    • BBS19
    • By BBS19 5th May 19, 12:03 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BBS19
    Any news, Mrsm74?

I’ve been searching for a phone number for the infamous ‘Processing department’, but it seems they don’t have phones in their little corner of DWP HQ ��
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th May 19, 5:43 AM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 4,862 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Decisions are currently taking between 12-20 weeks.
    • mrsm74
    • By mrsm74 5th May 19, 9:25 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mrsm74
    BBS19 still no news my end. How frustrating. The number I was originally given which was for the purpose of chasing up the ESA underpayments just takes me through to the normal ESA enquiry line these days and they don't seem to have any info 😐
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 5th May 19, 9:41 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    calcotti
    DWP due to publish a progress update on 16th May.

This exercise is so far expected to cost £40 million in administrative costs.
    • mrsm74
    • By mrsm74 5th May 19, 11:46 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mrsm74
    Wow, that's much more costly than was originally forecast! 😲
    • BBS19
    • By BBS19 6th May 19, 2:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BBS19
    Hopefully we may hear this week then, as for me itís week 25 since sending the completed form back (I know this doesnít mean anything though!) and week 14 since it was received by the processing department. The person I spoke to a few weeks ago (on the ĎDirect dialí number) told me to ring again if Iíd not heard by May 1st but I really donít see the point, as she couldnít tell me anything else then, and Iím sure they havenít got the recourses to check the progress for everyone that rings.

Oh well, will continue to sit and wait for that brown envelope.
    • BBS19
    • By BBS19 6th May 19, 2:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BBS19
    Mrsm74 - Did the number you rang start with 02382?
    • mrsm74
    • By mrsm74 6th May 19, 10:33 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mrsm74
    BBS19 the number I received from DWP to contact them about this is 08001690346. The first time I called it the guy was in processing and told me if I hadn't heard from them by 15th March, to call back. Ive called back a few times but I seem to be just speaking to ESA normal advisors who can't help me
    • BBS19
    • By BBS19 12th May 19, 2:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BBS19
    BBS19 the number I received from DWP to contact them about this is 08001690346. The first time I called it the guy was in processing and told me if I hadn't heard from them by 15th March, to call back. Ive called back a few times but I seem to be just speaking to ESA normal advisors who can't help me
    Sorry for the late reply Mrsm74, I didnít realise you could enable notifications!

The number Iíve got (and used a few weeks ago) is 02382 368253. If I donít hear anything in the post tomorrow, I think Iím going to try and brave it and give them another call. Whatís the worst that could happen, eh? Iíll keep you posted!
    • BBS19
    • By BBS19 16th May 19, 3:45 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BBS19
    UPDATE: I finally psyched myself up and phoned them today. The person I spoke to said I should hear within the next few days as itís now been completed by the processing team. So, fingers crossed.
    • ian reedman
    • By ian reedman 17th May 19, 1:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ian reedman
    lost form by dwp
    LATEST FROM DWP

In November 2018 i received communication from DWP regarding financial details linked to the transfer from IB tp ESA
    This lengthy document ESA3(IBR)was returned in line with the timescale required and i then received a request for further details which i provided As i had not received any communication i contacted the DWP by phone 3 weeks ago and to get through it took 20 minutes of waiting only to be transferred and waiting for a further 20 minutes and then was advised that there was a 12 week processing time .
    On 16 May i received a call from DWP stating that as i had reached 12 weeks since my documentation had been received it had been flagged up on the DWP system.
    I was further notified in this call that they could find no record of my file apart from the dates i had returned the documentation and that i had contacted them to chase it up
    I then was asked to answer all of the questions on the form again (including asking if my 65 yr old wife is pregnant!)which took 25 minutes and that despite already providing
    relevent confirmation documentation they would write to ask me to provide this again.
    I then asked what the timescale would for processing this and was advised it could take 12 weeks again despite the failings on their part
    My benefit was never earnings related so i was somewhat surprised to once again have to provide these details again and when asked if there could be some notification on the progress of my file however they could not provide this due to it being provided by a different department
    I am aware of the DWP reputation and the millions spent but this really is amazing that this really frustrating and to what end ,i don't know if or when i will receive any payment due,Also the attitude is the forms are manually processed and can become lost when they know when the form was dispatched and received and that they flagged the form up as overdue for descision.
    Is it me or is just a way to put people off from continuing and there is no detail of what money may be awarded if indeed any
    Is there any help or advice you can provide
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th May 19, 1:45 PM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 4,862 Thanks
    poppy12345
    LATEST FROM DWP

In November 2018 i received communication from DWP regarding financial details linked to the transfer from IB tp ESA
    This lengthy document ESA3(IBR)was returned in line with the timescale required and i then received a request for further details which i provided As i had not received any communication i contacted the DWP by phone 3 weeks ago and to get through it took 20 minutes of waiting only to be transferred and waiting for a further 20 minutes and then was advised that there was a 12 week processing time .
    On 16 May i received a call from DWP stating that as i had reached 12 weeks since my documentation had been received it had been flagged up on the DWP system.
    I was further notified in this call that they could find no record of my file apart from the dates i had returned the documentation and that i had contacted them to chase it up
    I then was asked to answer all of the questions on the form again (including asking if my 65 yr old wife is pregnant!)which took 25 minutes and that despite already providing
    relevent confirmation documentation they would write to ask me to provide this again.
    I then asked what the timescale would for processing this and was advised it could take 12 weeks again despite the failings on their part
    My benefit was never earnings related so i was somewhat surprised to once again have to provide these details again and when asked if there could be some notification on the progress of my file however they could not provide this due to it being provided by a different department
    I am aware of the DWP reputation and the millions spent but this really is amazing that this really frustrating and to what end ,i don't know if or when i will receive any payment due,Also the attitude is the forms are manually processed and can become lost when they know when the form was dispatched and received and that they flagged the form up as overdue for descision.
    Is it me or is just a way to put people off from continuing and there is no detail of what money may be awarded if indeed any
    Is there any help or advice you can provide
    Originally posted by ian reedman
    Whether or not you're one of those that are owed money will totally depend on your circumstances during the time you claimed ESA. This includes a partner that worked, pensions, partner claiming other means tested benefits etc.

The question about your partner being pregnant is just standard questions on the form the adviser was reading from.

You could put in a complaint about the form being lost but other than that all you can do is wait.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 17th May 19, 5:24 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    sportsarb
    It’s not a plot to stop people getting their money. It’s just inefficiency in the process.

As poppy has said, the questions on the form are the questions on the form, if it says to ask if someone is pregnant then that question should be asked. I asked it of 16 year old males and 55+ year old females.
    • BBS19
    • By BBS19 20th May 19, 5:18 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BBS19
    FINAL UPDATE: I *finally* received the brown envelope in the post on Saturday morning. Nearly 6 months to the day that I originally sent the form back! I’ve been issued a back-payment from when I migrated to ESA(C) in 2012. I’m sure I’m not alone in saying this, but that extra £16.80 each week will be a big help.

Keeping everything crossed that you hear really soon, Mrsm74.

To all the moderators on the forum. You all do an AMAZING job! Thank you :-)
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 20th May 19, 7:28 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    sportsarb
    FINAL UPDATE: I *finally* received the brown envelope in the post on Saturday morning. Nearly 6 months to the day that I originally sent the form back! Iíve been issued a back-payment from when I migrated to ESA(C) in 2012. Iím sure Iím not alone in saying this, but that extra £16.80 each week will be a big help.

Keeping everything crossed that you hear really soon, Mrsm74.

To all the moderators on the forum. You all do an AMAZING job! Thank you :-)
    Originally posted by BBS19
    Thatís great to hear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,362Posts Today

8,514Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin