Lifetime Mortgage

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Onlooker why did you take out a lifetime mortgage to pay for a new car and a holiday, without reading the terms and conditions for what you were signing up for?

They never read anything, including replies here.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He reads everything, and has on occasion replied but ducked the question.

Now it's his outlet, possibly part of some therapist-organised regime to quell his inner demons. He is a dragon slayer, and the dragons are those nasty financial companies with their offers of free money.

So I picture him on his soapbox at Speaker's Corner, flaming sword in hand, shouting into the wind but nobody can hear...and his sword goes out...and he trudges back to his not so new car and drives home quietly alone hoping against hope that his message hasn't fallen on deaf ears. Hot tea awaits.
  • Onlooker
    Onlooker Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    One certain problem which will arise for all who get trapped at some point with the intricacies of Equity releases is that coulee are involved.,one of whom will pass away before the other. The survivor will be then be left alone to make some important decisions when because of their invollment any thought will have put the lenders condiltions first and foremost.Consider
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Onlooker wrote: »
    that coulee are involved
    A short flow of viscous lava, according to Google?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Emanresu321
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    A short flow of viscous lava, according to Google?
    I always thought a sauce, usually of a sweet flavour, often seen on Masterchef. But then my spelling has never been great. Consider.
  • Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If Onlooker has been posting as part of some form of therapy, it has worked. I have read all his posts and feel much better!

Without wishing to condone some of the small print in lifetime mortgages, how blooming hard is it to understand the principle of compound interest?

Surely the older generation, that needed the math skills to work in pounds, shilling and pence, and know all about the costs & risks of buying things "on tick" and lived through the 1970s inflation and the ERM fallout, can understand that if you borrow a large amount of money today and make no repayments, then the balance a a few decades down the line will have increased significantly!

Consider.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I always thought a sauce, usually of a sweet flavour, often seen on Masterchef. But then my spelling has never been great. Consider.
    Oh, yeah.

I wonder why that didn't come up?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Onlooker
    Onlooker Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    According to IMA s any posts are for information only.This board as you will read has many posts .Some decrying said information for their own reasons but are welcome as an insight into the thinking in said posts.The others contain questions which are never directly answered but may to more of an insight into this industry.
    Look to leading providers paying commission to charities,Raffles.
    The Single Finance Guidance Body.Exit fees.Compounding Interest.Couples,yes couples.To name but a few posts given but only given one sided replies.Consider
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    According to IMA s any posts are for information only.This board as you will read has many posts .Some decrying said information for their own reasons but are welcome as an insight into the thinking in said posts.The others contain questions which are never directly answered but may to more of an insight into this industry.
    Look to leading providers paying commission to charities,Raffles.
    The Single Finance Guidance Body.Exit fees.Compounding Interest.Couples,yes couples.To name but a few posts given but only given one sided replies.Consider
    Your posts are not very coherent, could you get someone with English as a first language to read over them for you before you post?

Reading this thread it seems you borrowed against your house because you are the sort of person who will, literally, mortgage their future because they wanted something shiny and had no self-control, is that right?

There will be very, very few people this silly, so hopefully your posts are just for therapy for you. All they seem to do here I think is make people shake their heads in disbelief.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    According to IMA s any posts are for information only.

Why not write an informative post and ask MSE to post it up as a sticky. No one is going to trawl through an endless incoherent ramble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure