MSE News: Dwell ceases trading Q&A: your rights

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I know that I don't stand as much assurance of returned funds with a debit card but I wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas?
    Can anyone give advice or contact details of the liquidators/administrators acting on behalf of Dwell OR any other routes forward.
    Thanks!

Did you read the article linked to in the original post?
    Especially the bit:
    If you bought goods on a debit card, or goods under £100 on a credit card, you may still be able to claim for faulty goods under the Visa, Mastercard or American Express chargeback schemes, though this only applies within the first 120 days after buying the goods. The protection is less strong than Section 75, but it's certainly worth a try.

That is by far your best option at the moment.

I notice that you are a business dealing with Dwell.
    No idea whether the chargeback scheme applies to business arrangements.
    Certainly credit card section 75 protection is a feature of the consumer credit act 1974.

The Administrator's contact details are in post #17.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    This was in the main article by Martin:
    Faulty items are treated in the same way as those that never turn up, so card firms may have to pay out.

Well as someone who works in a disputes department and deals with chargebacks on a daily basis.
    This is totally wrong.

I'm quite fond of quoting this.
    We're a journalistic website and aim to provide the best MoneySaving guides, tips, tools and techniques, but can't guarantee to be perfect, so do note you use the information at your own risk and we can't accept liability if things go wrong.

With the best will in the world. How much do you believe that you read in the press....
    Does a missing piece count as faulty, i mean the item is not fit for purpose, if i can track down a manufacturer in UK than brilliant but I dont see this being easy.

I will call the administrators in my break.

Yes a missing part would fall under faulty.
    Also part of the faulty regulations is that the goods have to be returned, or you have tried to return.... Now if the retailer is not there. How can you return the goods???
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Never seen anyone in the shop? they used to send out a catalogue whichmust have been expensive....had they not heard of the internet? Bad news peopleare losing out again.
  • thatguy1
    thatguy1 Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    https://www.facebook.com/dwellretailuk/posts/586673094686877

3rd July 2013 - Dwell, the furniture retailer, has been saved from disappearing off British high streets thanks to its founder Aamir Ahmad returning to lead the company. Ahmad's plan will save over 150 jobs and keep the business operating from at least five stores and the web.

From Saturday 6th July, dwell will reopen their stores in Tottenham Court Road, Westfield White City, Westfield Stratford, Barton Square in Manchester and Lakeside in Thurrock. Talks with other landlords are underway with a hope that additional stores and jobs can be saved. Dwell’s online store (https://www.dwell.co.uk) will also reopen on Thursday. Advice to customers who have outstanding orders will be available on the company’s social media platforms.

Ahmad founded dwell with his family and friends in 2003 and successfully grew it over 9 years, but along with his co-founders was replaced in November last year. He will be stepping back in to run the business as CEO. Ahmad comments: “Our priority lies with the customers and suppliers who have been let down by the former management. We are working hard to try and resolve the issues, in particular outstanding customer orders. Although we are not legally obliged to, we are doing everything we can to find a solution for customers who have lost out. Our primary goal is to help customer and suppliers regain their trust in the dwell brand.”
  • "Parts of furniture company Dwell have been rescued from administration by its founder, but customers who haven't received their orders still have no idea whether they'll get their goods...."
    Read the full story:

Dwell rescued, but no news on remaining orders

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • heynads
    heynads Posts: 2 Newbie
    I am considering buying a sofa from dwell since it has now re-opened. Does any one have any advice about purchasing from such companies who have re-opened having been shut down/in administration. IS this a good idea in view of recent events? Many thanks
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    heynads wrote: »
    I am considering buying a sofa from dwell since it has now re-opened. Does any one have any advice about purchasing from such companies who have re-opened having been shut down/in administration. IS this a good idea in view of recent events? Many thanks
    My advice is to be sure to use a credit card.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    My advice is to be sure to use a credit card.

My advice make sure you take the goods away with you....

Great how the old boy has taken over and the site is up and running again.
    But makes no mention about people who have bought goods and not received them.
    Our priority lies with the customers and suppliers who have been let down by the former management," said Mr Ahmad.
    "We are working hard to try and resolve the issues, in particular outstanding customer orders."

"Although we are not legally obliged to, we are doing everything we can to find a solution for customers who have lost out. Our primary goal is to help customers and suppliers regain their trust in the Dwell brand."

If that is the case then why is there not something on the site to help these hard done by people and what they might be able to do to assist them....

So reading between the lines. Its tough luck.... For anyone that is owed, but he is going to make a fast buck....
    Will be interesting to see just how much was paid to secure this deal....
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • peeeeete
    peeeeete Posts: 6 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Aamir Ahmad should be put behind bars. The sofa that I ordered in March is sitting in their warehouse (along with 5 others) and is now being sold to someone else (only 1 week delivery times now apparently - not 11 weeks). I paid for it in full, it is my property, but for some reason Mr Ahmad thinks that he is entitled to steal my property and sell it again. I hope nothing but bad things happen to him and his dodgy company.

How can this be legal at all?
  • cloud1
    cloud1 Posts: 10 Forumite
    peeeeete wrote: »
    Aamir Ahmad should be put behind bars. The sofa that I ordered in March is sitting in their warehouse (along with 5 others) and is now being sold to someone else (only 1 week delivery times now apparently - not 11 weeks). I paid for it in full, it is my property, but for some reason Mr Ahmad thinks that he is entitled to steal my property and sell it again. I hope nothing but bad things happen to him and his dodgy company.

How can this be legal at all?

I'm in the same boat, I ordered a corner sofa, a sideboard and a shoe cupboard MONTHS ago and Dwell told me on the phone on Friday that essentially they are a new company now and old company orders will not be honoured.

First of all that's disgusting.

Second, why are they putting out statements implying they will make sure existing orders would be honoured.

Third, they have stock of all the items, so someone else can order them!

Someone needs to raise the profile of this terrible situation, made even worse by the new owner essentially telling lies in public.

It's a bitter pill to swallow to know that if I want this furniture I'm going to have to order it twice, knowing that they are shafting loyal customers willingly without remorse.

A deeply disturbing company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport