washing machine for over 70s

Comments

• kittie wrote: »
    omg, I hope people don`t get despondent, reading the opening post. Being 70 is great, I like many others, have my wits about me. I can read instruction books, wipe a hard disc and re-install windows and can certainly decide what programme to use on a washing machine. Yesterday, I used mine to proof a garment. The day before, a sports wash, to wash my cycling lycra kit. Hang on a minute, I just have to alter my brake cable, following instructions of course. If someone is losing it and cannot read instructions, then for goodness sake just write the relevant instructions clearly, step by step in large letters and stick it by the washing machine

Oh Kittie - I'm a bit jealous. Retired at 55 - now 70 and, without the fantastic help from The Techie Forum, I may well have abandoned my computer long ago!

I'm being helped at present to install an SSD - great help although, for me, still a bit up hill. You are an inspiration!
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Wow! Everyone is quite scathing! People are all different, and good at different things! My Dad at 76 can hang a door, or assemble Ikea furniture (no mean feat at any age!!) and fix most things, but show him a computer or a phone and he hasn't got a clue! My Mum at 75 however is a whizz on the computer (who knew that was going to be the case!). Technology is not for everyone, and I think phone companies recognise this as they sell phones designed to be simple to use for those people who are not technology wise!

Regarding washing machines I would imagine a cheaper one would have less programs on it and be less complicated to use.
  • Snowbird
    Snowbird Posts: 123 Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    oh dear, are you really in that group snowbird? the age 70+ who cannot read instructions.

No, I am not. But that doesn't mean that I need to be unkind or dismissive of someone who isn't like me. Whilst I agree that ageism has no place, you fall into the exact stereotype of an old lady.

"I am right and if you are not like me, you are wrong. I don't mind upsetting people. I can say what I like"

For someone who gets upset when they get a wrong coloured envelope..............!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Snowbird wrote: »
    No, I am not. But that doesn't mean that I need to be unkind or dismissive of someone who isn't like me. Whilst I agree that ageism has no place, you fall into the exact stereotype of an old lady.

"I am right and if you are not like me, you are wrong. I don't mind upsetting people. I can say what I like"

For someone who gets upset when they get a wrong coloured envelope..............!

Good lord, talk about overreacting!

The cliche of a old lady is being frail and useless, not active, taking responsibility for oneself and encouraging others to be the same.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    DH and I are 83. We have a Bosch washing machine. We can read instructions, but mostly we don't use all the programmes available on the machine because we don't need them all.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    DH and I are 83. We have a Bosch washing machine. We can read instructions, but mostly we don't use all the programmes available on the machine because we don't need them all.

I think most washing machines are over engineered. Mines a Bosch too. Love them. The engineer told me most people seem to use the same two or three programmes.

As for the backlash against Kittie....I took her post being tongue in cheek too.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think most washing machines are over engineered. QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more with that statement. Mine's a Samsung, not even remotely an expensive brand but comes with it's own brain.

Too many washing cycle programmes, too many spin speeds options, pre-wash, hold, extra dirty, even has a timer so I can have it come on in the middle of the night & then lie there listening to it alternate between filling/emptying/spinning for 2 hours!

It decides how much water goes in depending on the weight of the laundry, then does some weird frothing thing so it can use even less. Because of that silly feature I have to use drawer liquid/powder only, no bunging in of a sachet allowed. I've never felt like my laundry has had a good wash, even on a 3 hour 'good wash' setting. What the thing saves on water it costs in electricity. Bring back the old days when I used to watch my laundry slopping around in a drum full of water & suds.

Like everyone else, I use only 3 settings & wonder why machine manufacturers don't get it. Have a look here OP https://ao.com/l/search/101/99/?search=automatic%20washing%20machines Not recommending AO though all my appliances come from them, but you can get a good look at a lot of machines, close ups of the dial bit etc & see if it looks a bit too complex for your mum, some of them are mind boggling.

Mind you, at 63 years old I'm starting to feel that most products nowadays should come with a 6 year old child. They can show you how it all works (mobiles, PC's, Ipads, even kitchen equipment etc), once you've grasped it after a couple of weeks, you give the kid back to the store for the next customer to borrow. :T
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    This is a jolly thread, I'll join in. :beer: Mine is a Hotpoint Aquarius, I leave my settings on 30 degrees, and a 30 minute wash, I ignore everything else. This old biddy is 69 going on thirty something. I ain't gonna get any older.
    :D
    ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • leylie
    leylie Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2018 at 12:05PM
    Although this organisation is particularly for people with disabilities it gives some really good ideas to think about when buying new machines.

https://www.ridc.org.uk/content/choosing-washing-machine
    This is a very useful organisation. Although it doesn't give specific machines it give some excellent ideas for thinking about.
    Then I would go to somewhere like John Lewis or Curries and ask for an appropriately trained member of staff - maybe a phone call beforehand to make an appointment.
    Leylie
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kittie wrote: »
    If someone is losing it and cannot read instructions, then for goodness sake just write the relevant instructions clearly, step by step in large letters and stick it by the washing machine

I did this for Mum after she started having memory problems - I stuck different coloured labels on the relevant buttons and wrote out the instructions for the couple of programmes she used most -
    "Push blue button and then red button" - very simple and meant she could carry on independently for a bit longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure