Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Skin Disease - Help the 5 million sufferer in the UK

5 million of the UK population suffers from Skin Disease, even you or someone close to you maybe, so what will YOU be doing for Skin in 2006?

In an attempt to raise awareness and cash to fund research, I will be joining 1000s of others walking for healthy skin all over the UK in May.

I have suffered from severe psoriasis for 15 years. 40% of my body is covered. I have to moisturise several time a day head to toe. This not enough to fight the disease though and I am currently taking systemic drugs, commonly used in chemotherapy to treat cancer, in an attempt to limit the disease's effects on my everyday life. However this is not a cure.

Psoriasis affects 5% of the UK but because of the nature of the condition, many people prefer to keep their skin covered and hidden and often refrain from mentioning it. It is very much a 'hidden' disease and the result is many sufferers feel isolated and alone, as well as being uncomfortable and itchy. Those who have heard of psoriasis often think of it as a ‘cosmetic’ condition, but the fact is many of those with psoriasis suffer from depression, as well as the physical affects of the disease. The most severe sufferers often need to be treated as an in-patient and for some, it can be life-threatening. Added to this, some sufferers go on and develop psoriatic arthritis, a related disease which affects the joints, often rendering the individual to a more restricted or even housebound lifestyle . Personally I have 30% chance of my condition degenerating into Psoriatic Arthritis.

What causes psoriasis is still unknown and there is no cure. This is why I need your help to fund more research through the British Skin Foundation and the Psoriasis Association.

The British Skin Foundation will be holding walks all around the UK in some lovely parks to raise awareness and cash to fund research into skin diseases. All are welcome to take part and help this worthy cause. To see where the walks are taking place and register go to https://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/walk/

Or you might want to sponsor me instead?
go to: http://www.justgiving.com/mariewalk4skin

I hope YOU will be doing something for skin in 2006 :)

Thanks Martin to give me the opportunity to highlight a condition which is not well known and possibly raise more funds.

Salsera
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport