PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• igaveupnowimback
    Options
    Thanks angelaatgraceland & mrssnowy,
    Yep, have frozen some to eat with custard (for months) & invited a custard fan friend to assist me ! (she doesn't know yet) ;) Then, inspired by this board, I guess I could make truffly things, soak in alcohol & feed to (same) friend, or use as well broken up trifle base ? Determined not to chuck it out without a fight ! :D
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday went quite well. In the morning, we were in a local village having a nosey at a house we're interested in (actually, that went really well. It's empty and the neighbours let us through to the back, there's a gate between the houses as is common with terraces around here, so we got into the garden and had a really good look, and also found out a LOT about the seller) and then popped into the village pub (a very good, very friendly one). Various people said hello as we walked around, it was quite amazing ... We didn't buy lunch this time, just beer for us and juice and crisps for the children, so no major expense. Then used up some almost stale bread for sandwiches for lunch when we got home.

Dinner was a casserole I'd found in the freezer, with mash and veg. I thought it was beef, but once it was defrosted I found out it was coq au vin! It hadn't been very nice first time round but this time it was fantastic.

Tonight the menu plan says toad in the hole, but I'm going to cheat and use up the aunt bessies yorkies from the freezer, serve them with the sausages, onion gravy, cauliflower and carrots. Only worry is that they aren't such fancy sausages as I usually get, hope OH doesn't object.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Options
    Im feeling so poor - no spends now for four whole days in a row. I nearly slipped up tonight, I went for a wander round the supermarket and got most of the way around and decided I must be totally off my trolley - there's nothing here I need and I left with an empty basket. I felt a bit of a 'nana as the guy at the till gave me a funny look as I dumped the basket, but I was laughing inside for being so strong. ;)

Came home and offered the fella 'eclectic mix' from the freezer. Croquette potatoes, spring rolls, few chips and breaded prawns with chilli dip. He seemed to enjoy it! He was warned there may be some odd combinations this month. :rotfl:
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Kiwisaver... I have lost track of the number of times I have wandered into the NAAFI with a basket and then plonked it back again as there is nothing worth having in there :rotfl: sometimes it does make me feel like folks think I must be shop lifting :p

Well 8 NSDs out of 12 so far :T .. and Im not stepping foot out of the house until the weekend (at the earliest) -there is nothing we need, no room in the freezer anyway, and its still 5" deep in snow out there :eek: ..... I will run out of fresh fruit in a couple of days -but I have plenty of plums, cherries, lychees, pineapple and appfelmuss in jars and tins -oh and stewed apple n blackberries in the freezer -so I will cope :D

Dinner tonight is sausages with carrots and onions, mashed swede/potato (from yesterday), yorky (half the batter left from yesterday) and brussels

I only need 3 of the sausages -hubby has said 1 1/2 sausages will be plenty for him :rotfl: so the other 3 are going to be cooked n sliced and mixed with mushrooms and beans for his flask tomorrow with cobs ....an "allday brekkie" apparently ;)
    anyway..I hope everyone is doing well ..have a great day everyone :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    going for an NSD day today

will update my weekend spends on my sig, didnt do too bad as i had £60 in vouchers

brought some mushroom soup in aldi 35p a tin DD and her BF said it is nicer than heinz at 75p a tin and tastes hm:T . will be gieeting some more now i know they like it-its ideal for a quck snack meal for when shes in a rush
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • scotsaver
    Options
    Added all receipts from spends over the weekend and today and updated total, I am off to do a Freezer Inventory as both freezers are jam packed, cupboards are bulging so should be able to meal plan past the 27th so although I've only got about £45 left until the 27th, I know we can make it as will only need to top up on F&V and milk. Picked up a 5kg bag of spuds this morning in Aldi's for 49p, part of this month's Super 6, they also have 6 oranges, 6 kiwis, tomatoes, brocolli and mangoes for 49p each.:D

Dinner last night was Roast Pork and all the trimmings, got some left so doing a Curry tonight.;)

Off to list everything from the Freezers & Cupboards now, do a meal plan based around what we have and then I shall browse around the Slow Cooker Forums as I'm dying to use my new Toy.:j

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    Jus popped on to say i made a aloverly syrup sponge all by myself and it was loverly if anyone wants the recipe let me know
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    Easy Syrup Sponge Pudding Recipe

Easy to make recipe for delicious syrup sponge pudding with list of ingredients for the pudding and the topping sauce and step by step instructions:

Ingredients for Syrup Sponge

120g butter
    120g caster sugar
    120g self raising flour
    2 beaten eggs
    2 tablespoons of golden syrup

Ingredients for Syrup Sponge Sauce

1 tablespoon of cornflour
    2 tablespoons of golden syrup
    The juice of half a lemon

How to Make Syrup Sponge Pudding

To make the sponge mixture cream the butter and the sugar until they become light and fluffy.

Sift the flour and add it to the butter and sugar mix. Slowly add the beaten eggs and beat this mixture well.

Butter a pudding basin that will comfortably fit 1.1 litres (2 pints). Pour the golden syrup into the bottom of this basin. Now top it up with the sponge mixture.

Cover securely with a layer of greaseproof paper and then kitchen foil.

Steam for about two hours in a pan of water which needs to be topped up now and again due to evaporation. Ensure none of the water gets into the sponge pudding. When ready to serve remove the wrappings and turn over the basin over a plate. The syrup sponge should be well formed and should simply slide out of the basin and onto the serving plate.

How to Make the Topping for Syrup Sponge

Mix the cornflour with a small amount of water. Add this to a pan with the golden syrup and the lemon juice. Heat until the ingredients thicken. Serve the sauce with the puddin

I did not make the topping as i just added more syrup to the actually bottom of the cake , i also had no caster sugar in so i used normal sugar.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    yes please !plz post it!
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    sounds yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors