Nest questions (from a Landlord with a lodger)

Pmarmalade
Pmarmalade Posts: 175 Forumite
edited 13 December 2019 at 1:59AM in Energy
Hello, I have a lodger who keeps overriding my heating controls - either constantly on or permanently off.

I'd like to fit a Nest and use the PIN lock to keep them out of the settings, but I'm conscious that, with Nest, there's no simple temporary 'boost mode' for them.

I can't find any info on what happens when my lodger turns the dial outside of the schedule with auto-schedule learning disabled?

Can the lodger turn the heating on/off at any time just by twisting the dial? With manual scheduling only, would this then stay on until they/I manually turn it down again or the next scheduled event, or does it only override it for an hour and then back to the default schedule?

If I set an overnight schedule with low max temps, would this essentially block the schedule being overridden during these hours?

I'm also trying to avoid them turning it up then heading out the door, but I've read the home detect is really unreliable...

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I also have lodgers, but they are pretty good at leaving the thermostat well alone. Recently upgraded the control system to a "smart" jobbie with a couple temperature/humidity sensors (one in the hall, and another in one of their bedrooms). No complaints about the temperature, and I've left the old thermostat in place should they desire something to fiddle with - Not that it will do anything as it is just there for show & back up.

Perhaps you should leave your old thermostat & timer in place, wired up to the mains, but not connected to the boiler so that the lodger has something to play with. The Nest system could then be tucked away in a discrete location, hopefully out of sight & mind.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure