PiP and painkillers

How is someone assessed for PiP mobility - when they are on strong painkillers - which hides the true state of their ability to get around ?
I am on Codeine - which helps me considerably - without them - I would be virtually imobile !

Comments

• The PIP assessors job is to assess how your disability affects your day to day life. They are NOT there to medically assess you. Its really important to remember this and not be bullied by assessors.
  • They take into account anything you use to assist you including medicine. You get points for needing aids and if you need help with medicine but if the medicine enables you to do the task you likely won't get points for not being able to do it!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    _shel wrote: »
    They take into account anything you use to assist you including medicine. You get points for needing aids and if you need help with medicine but if the medicine enables you to do the task you likely won't get points for not being able to do it!

Doesn't this imply that my best way is to stop taking the pain killers for the actual assessment - so I can be seen at my worst ?
  • 50Twuncle wrote: »
    Doesn't this imply that my best way is to stop taking the pain killers for the actual assessment - so I can be seen at my worst ?

:eek: that would be lying
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,917
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    How is someone assessed for PIP- when they are on strong painkillers...

For most people there will be parts of the day when the ameliorating effects of the painkillers are considerable reduced or non-existent. First thing in the morning, or between doses, or when the maximum dosage has been reached.

A PIP claimant in that position should have explained on the PIP form, that there are times during the day when their ability to do PIP activities is considerably reduced due to pain. An example might be having to delay dressing in the morning until the painkillers take effect. Therefore, because they can't do that activity reliably (and are limited to the times in the day when the painkillers are effective), they should be assessed as not able to perform the activity to an acceptable standard, and be awarded PIP points.

There is no need to resort to silly deceptions "my best way is to stop taking the pain killers for the actual assessment"; if full information (and a sensible approach) has been given on the PIP form, and the effect of variability fully disclosed at the assessment.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,841
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That could otherwise be known as benefit fraud. :eek:
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    For most people there will be parts of the day when the ameliorating effects of the painkillers are considerable reduced or non-existent. First thing in the morning, or between doses, or when the maximum dosage has been reached.

A PIP claimant in that position should have explained on the PIP form, that there are times during the day when their ability to do PIP activities is considerably reduced due to pain. An example might be having to delay dressing in the morning until the painkillers take effect. Therefore, because they can't do that activity reliably (and are limited to the times in the day when the painkillers are effective), they should be assessed as not able to perform the activity to an acceptable standard, and be awarded PIP points.

There is no need to resort to silly deceptions "my best way is to stop taking the pain killers for the actual assessment"; if full information (and a sensible approach) has been given on the PIP form, and the effect of variability fully disclosed at the assessment.

I am just concerned that if I am on strong painkillers - they will believe that I can walk as anyone else can (albeit with a limp) - but I can't remain on painkillers forever.
    I take them 4 times a day
  • This is not a medical you are attending but a face to face assessment. It's all based on a conversation between you about the activities. If you say you can't do it that's what they should note. They're not going to ask you to prove it by walking round the room etc.

Just be honest about what you take and your limitations.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,582
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am just concerned that if I am on strong painkillers - they will believe that I can walk as anyone else can (albeit with a limp) - but I can't remain on painkillers forever.
    I take them 4 times a day

Is there a reason you can’t stay on the pain killers?
    This is a genuine question as I’m not medically qualified.

My MiL has severe arthritis and she’s been on pain killers for 50 years although I note you said strong ones.

Even if you have to stop or reduce at some point shouldn’t the assessment show what you can do now?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 September 2019 at 3:45PM
    I think confusion arises in that for DLA the medication you took was taken as proof of the problem to some extent, with PIP this is definitely not the case, my OH was turned down for mobility even though they take morphine daily.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure