Carer's Allowance very inadequate

John3000
John3000 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 26 September 2019 at 12:27PM in Disability money matters
My mum looks after my sister who has severe mental health problems. She receives Career's top up (premium) as she is on Pension Credits. They pay her a measly £35 Carer's Premium, which is highly inadequate considering the amount of care she provides to my sister. We are talking about round-the-clock care here. Is she eligible for any other finanacial help? You would think they would pay at least the full amount (which is just over £65)

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    John3000 wrote: »
    My mum looks after my sister who has severe mental health problems. She receives Career's top up (premium) as she is on Pension Credits. They pay her a measly £35 Carer's Premium, which is highly inadequate considering the amount of care she provides to my sister. We are talking about round-the-clock care here. Is she eligible for any other finanacial help? You would think they would pay at least the full amount (which is just over £65)
    Due to the overlapping benefit rules the Carers allowance can't be paid to those claiming state pension.

The Carers premium will be added to her pension credit. Putting all her details into a benefits calculator will tell her if she's claiming everything she should be claiming.

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another good benefit calculator is https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Presumably your sister gets ESA or Universal credit and PIP , there is nothing stopping her paying your mum some of that to help with the caring. Your mum could also potentially claim housing benefit if she rents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure