PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Hahaha, Daisy! 25!! Do you actually use any of them?

I unkondoed about €30 worth of amenities in all shapes, sorts, and sizes from a trial at work, and I'm thrilled! I'll work my way through them religiously, plus I'll not have to buy any for many years. I probably have enough (posh!) soaps to last me for the rest of my lifetime. This sparks a lot of joy for me.

Just as much joy as I get from our 2 rabbits when they hop around our living room :D They are soooo cute, and last night they had their 'crazy' hour, and ran in circles, chasing each other, behind the curtains and the sofa, jumping over pillows, hiding behind chairs, suddenly stopping to smell my feet :eek:, sitting still for a cuddle, and off again!

I have 6 which have different coloured handles cream, lilac, pale blue etc which I love and remember my grandma and granda using. Sadly some of the handles are splitting or damaged so I'd like to replace them if I ever see another set. I chucked out some of the normal ones and now have 16 I think. Including the coloured set. And no........ I rarely use them :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: just not quite ready to let them all go yet :rotfl::rotfl:

Hi to the fluffy bunnies, sounds lovely

Dxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    I have 6 which have different coloured handles cream, lilac, pale blue etc which I love and remember my grandma and granda using. Sadly some of the handles are splitting or damaged so I'd like to replace them if I ever see another set. I chucked out some of the normal ones and now have 16 I think. Including the coloured set. And no........ I rarely use them :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: just not quite ready to let them all go yet :rotfl::rotfl:

Hi to the fluffy bunnies, sounds lovely

Dxx

Trouble is with this though is that if you were able to buy a replacement set, would you be able to bear to part with the originals, as they are original?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• 3/15 items sold for £16.05 profit after postage and fees. I've realised I forgot to do my jewellery when I did my clothes so I backtracked to that before moving onto paper. I've cleared half a shoe box of costume pieces. I'm going to photo them tomorrow to sell. Tonight I'm listing books online for sale.

Diasy, I totally get your 16 knives. I found it hard to let go of things the first time around doing Kondo. This second time is much easier as revisiting some items I can see how little value or joy they have given me in the time since the last clear out.

I went from about 15 t.shirts to 3 this time. I've also gone from a shoe box of jewellery to a handful (ok maybe two handfuls). And this is after my first Big clear out last year.

I think part of why I have found it hard is that honestly not a lot of my belongings bring me joy. I think I fear a super empty house. It makes me think about buying quality over quantity though.

Has anyone else redone their kondoing?
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    :oI have purchased some night wear, tbh I've been looking to replace the vests with hidden support that I wear under my pjs in bed, needed to round up my big boobs. The ones I have are on their last legs elastic going, and shoulder straps stretched.
    So as debs had a sale on their gorgeous range of nightwear, I have replaced them. I have ragged 4 tops and 1 bottom.
    I also shredded some old credit card statements, so I'm back up to date with paper work.
    GQ I have heard about that, there was a link on one of the threads that I followed and had a read.
    Baibelle I think most of us redo bits and bobs. I finished a while ago, but I'm always on the look out for stuff to go. The more I kondoed the more I want to get rid of stuff, it's very therapeutic.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I sorted out the footstool that holds all the cards and wrapping paper last night, a few bits hit the recycling bin. All the christmas gift bags are now in one plastic folder and the birthday ones in another.

I may start the basket in the kitchen cupboard that holds all the stuff I don't really know what to do with!
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have temporarily kondo'd half my house - following major surgery I am living downstairs until I can safely get up (and down) the steep stairs. it has been surprisingly liberating.
    DH has taken on driving the washing machine, and we are wearing three outfits in rotation. Admittedly, I am unable to go far and have a very simple life at the moment, but it is all so easy and a great aid to recovery.

I have taken advantage of the time to cull the bookcases and we have a large bag of books to take to the CS next time we go in that direction. I have also been able to pass on a book that a friend - saving her from buying it.

it is going to be an interesting year.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Closed the old one!

Slinky, here's a nice hyper link for the most recent thread

Zip

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Slinky wrote: »
    Trouble is with this though is that if you were able to buy a replacement set, would you be able to bear to part with the originals, as they are original?

Aaaaaagggggghhhhh, and so it goes on till my house resembles gq's familial home :rotfl: yeah, those kinds of thoughts do concern me but I am getting better at reminding myself just cos something is 'old' does not mean it must be kept forever and just because someone in my family once owned something does not mean I have to keep it forever. Someone on here in one of the previous year's threads said something along the lines of would your grandma/other relative have kept the old/used/broken thing and would they be sad that you felt you had to give house room to such a thing. That stayed with me too so I am hopeful that if I ever do find replacements I will be able to release the originals

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Daisy, I have the same feeling when I completely wear out a pair of jeans: I want to run out and buy a new pair of jeans. But why? I have another pair of jeans, and I have other trousers, dresses and skirts. I may have to rethink my wardrobe combinations, but there is no actual need to buy another pair of leg-coverings.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Sailing Club is having a jumble in a couple of months to raise funds for children's sailing. Last year we expanded it to include clothing (not sailing gear) and books. It was very successful and the surplus was donated to various CS - a win-win all round. So major wardrobe kondo going on here - just wish DH would release some of his book collection :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure