New Enterprise Allowance scheme - My story

Comments

• This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Well, ladies and gents...drumroll please!!

FINALLY, after 12 weeks of waiting, i have just had a call from my mentor to introduce himself! :rotfl:

Hahahaha, so i told him i am no longer on JSA, and that was that!

That's unreal! :T
  • I've been unemployed for nearly two years, although I escaped the Work Programme, because I had six weeks' work in the middle of it. I'm 58 and was getting nowhere with job applications, so I decided at the beginning of this year to become self-employed.

I told my JCP advisor and signed a form to permit all my details to be passed on to the NEA team in March. I heard absolutely nothing, despite numerous reminders and being assured it was all being processed. I even contacted John Govett, the CEO of Ixion to find out what was happening. He got somebody to go through Ixion's records and it appears I was never referred.

Meanwhile, I have a part-time job for 16 hours a week starting in September. I only need 16 hours for WTC, because I'm a lone parent and I also have five hours of self-employment a week (gross pay £125) lined up. I went to a voluntary organisation for some help with a new start-up.

It's too late now for the NEA. I'm livid with JCP, because I could have been off Jobseekers and making a small profit by now. I would also have found the loan handy.

I have an interview with a JCP advisor next week (supposedly to sign me up for the Work Programme - what a joke!) and I'm going to hand in a formal complaint. I'm just in time to claim in-work credit of £40pw and I'm going to make sure that I get every penny of mortgage interest relief run on and as much as I can from the flexible funding all advisors have available.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Daphnesams wrote: »

I told my JCP advisor and signed a form to permit all my details to be passed on to the NEA team in March. I heard absolutely nothing, despite numerous reminders and being assured it was all being processed. I even contacted John Govett, the CEO of Ixion to find out what was happening. He got somebody to go through Ixion's records and it appears I was never referred.

Oh this is VERY familiar. It's exactly what happened with me. I waited 10 weeks before saying "sod it" and signing off JSA and going SE by myself.

I feel for you mate, i really do. These people have no idea of how frustrating it is. In all honesty i dont think they re really to blame, i think it is more down to a lack of training and help.
  • WantToBeSE
    Just a quick update..i have been contacted by a family in my local area who has seen my ad. in the vets, and i have another 6 hours work a week with them, starting when the kids go back to school in September!

It really pays (literally and figuratively) to do market research (MR) and find out what kind of people would use your service. When i was doing my MR, i identified that someone who would use my service would more than likely have pets, hence the reason that i advertised at the vets (£1 a week to advertise there).
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Just a quick update..i have been contacted by a family in my local area who has seen my ad. in the vets, and i have another 6 hours work a week with them, starting when the kids go back to school in September!

It really pays (literally and figuratively) to do market research (MR) and find out what kind of people would use your service. When i was doing my MR, i identified that someone who would use my service would more than likely have pets, hence the reason that i advertised at the vets (£1 a week to advertise there).

Well done! :)
  • WantToBeSE
    Thanks, This Year :)
  • s450
    s450 Posts: 88 Forumite
    So, as I already mentioned, I have been referred to a business adviser. He finally managed to call me and now I have an appointment for next week.:beer:

My roommate wanted to do the same. Today was his sign in day. He spoke to his agent asking to be referred to the NEA too. They were about to fill out the form when suddenly the agent said that the NEA has been momentarily suspended since they do not have funds!!??
    So, he told him to wait for a while.
    Is it true???
    So, now I do not feel safe either.
    What is going to happen? I really want to start my business and of course hope that my business plan will be successful. But what happens after that? I will have to sing off from JSA and what if the NEA say: "sorry, but at the moment we do not have money?".
    This story of my roommate sounds very strange. Maybe he is kidding me?!
  • andyscott
    andyscott Posts: 167 Forumite
    Have not posted on here for a couple of weeks as have been waiting on laptop been repaired but I will certainly be going through all the posts later tonight.
  • andyscott
    andyscott Posts: 167 Forumite
    s450 wrote: »
    So, as I already mentioned, I have been referred to a business adviser. He finally managed to call me and now I have an appointment for next week.:beer:

My roommate wanted to do the same. Today was his sign in day. He spoke to his agent asking to be referred to the NEA too. They were about to fill out the form when suddenly the agent said that the NEA has been momentarily suspended since they do not have funds!!??
    So, he told him to wait for a while.
    Is it true???
    So, now I do not feel safe either.
    What is going to happen? I really want to start my business and of course hope that my business plan will be successful. But what happens after that? I will have to sing off from JSA and what if the NEA say: "sorry, but at the moment we do not have money?".
    This story of my roommate sounds very strange. Maybe he is kidding me?!

Its probably true with what your flatmate said about no funding left, this country gives out money far too easily.

I feel insulted that you are claiming to feel not safe with the NEA scheme.

About 8 years ago I reported colleagues in a care home for mis-treating pensioners who had fought in wars for this country, the management made my job hell and I decided to quit. I was refused all benefits.

About 18 months ago I lost my job and went onto JSA, I spoke to JC+ regarding NEA and was told to speak to Business Gateway first. I spoke to them and they approved of my business idea only for JC+ to say they would not officially refer me, instead I was getting put onto Working Programme with possibility of voluntary work.

You came to the UK in June and claimed JSA straight away, your going onto NEA but your worried what will happen for money if you cant make a success of your business.

I know you did not make the rules for JC+ but I would never dream of moving to a foreign country unless I had plenty of money to support myself while settling into the country.

Its because of these rules like benefits to foreigners that means this country can't support its own people who have worked hard and paid their taxes.
  • WantToBeSE
    andyscott wrote: »
    Its probably true with what your flatmate said about no funding left, this country gives out money far too easily.

I feel insulted that you are claiming to feel not safe with the NEA scheme.

About 8 years ago I reported colleagues in a care home for mis-treating pensioners who had fought in wars for this country, the management made my job hell and I decided to quit. I was refused all benefits.

About 18 months ago I lost my job and went onto JSA, I spoke to JC+ regarding NEA and was told to speak to Business Gateway first. I spoke to them and they approved of my business idea only for JC+ to say they would not officially refer me, instead I was getting put onto Working Programme with possibility of voluntary work.

You came to the UK in June and claimed JSA straight away, your going onto NEA but your worried what will happen for money if you cant make a success of your business.

I know you did not make the rules for JC+ but I would never dream of moving to a foreign country unless I had plenty of money to support myself while settling into the country.

Its because of these rules like benefits to foreigners that means this country can't support its own people who have worked hard and paid their taxes.
    photoGuy wrote: »
    That's not true. The country can't afford to support the old people. We have too many who are relying on the state because they didn't prepare for their retirement. Also, we have vegetables draining the health service because the government won't legalise euthanasia so much of our expenditure of the Welfare budget is used up by the elderly - including some who are no more than a peg-fed beating heart.

Come on guys, we already have enough 'Anti-Benefit Claimants' threads and posters on this forum, lets not add to it.
    Can we continue to keep this thread friendly please..pretty please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure