Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hardtimes
    • By hardtimes 16th Nov 19, 4:09 PM
    • 346Posts
    • 69Thanks
    hardtimes
    Oil to gas?
    • 16th Nov 19, 4:09 PM
    Oil to gas? 16th Nov 19 at 4:09 PM
    Hi
    Everyone I meet tells me the benefits of converting to gas heating. I have oil heating and heats my property well.

What is the cost to switch? Are there any grants available? I would be interested in servicing costs and parts if needed?

The main benefit I can see is you don’t have to pay for 500 litres upfront, like I have to do with oil.

Would be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 18th Nov 19, 9:13 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:13 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:13 AM
    I converted earlier this year... total outlay was about 4000 which was expensive enough...

Our house was built in the 60s.... it always warmed up to a satisfactory level, but I knew the system could do with a good clean and flush through.... the thermostat we had was terrible as well, so we just ahead and got it done...

The conversion has been an absolute game changer. The house heats up literally in about 10 mins.

We replaced 5 older radiators with more powerful modern ones, added a new gas shower, wireless thermostat etc.

The wood burning stove has only been on twice since we converted as my wife complains about the house being too warm when its on now!
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 18th Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    PS yes, with SSE at least, you can pay once a month after a year - they send you quarterly estimates for the first year (which you can submit readings to correct)... my first estimate was 180, second estimate 35.

Paying once a month will be a nice perk for sure, especially if you have Santander and can get 3% cash back on that....and of course never having the worry of running out...
    • lastbigspender
    • By lastbigspender 18th Nov 19, 12:50 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lastbigspender
    • 18th Nov 19, 12:50 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 12:50 PM
    good to hear this.

I am in a 80s bungalow and it heats OK level. needs a new oil burner, flush / clean and some rads not working at all.

no mains gas in my area and no idea of when.

I take it Zola you are on the mains gas ?
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 18th Nov 19, 1:22 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 18th Nov 19, 1:22 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 1:22 PM
    Yeah we are on mains gas!
    I am sure you have tried bleeding the radiators?
    • lastbigspender
    • By lastbigspender 18th Nov 19, 1:24 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lastbigspender
    • 18th Nov 19, 1:24 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 1:24 PM
    Yeah we are on mains gas!
    I am sure you have tried bleeding the radiators?
    Originally posted by Zola.

Yes Zola done all that!!

just need flushed and cleaned or maybe an airlock as Oil Heating has stopped heating hot water cylinder too!!
    • ChrisNI
    • By ChrisNI 18th Nov 19, 3:28 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ChrisNI
    • 18th Nov 19, 3:28 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 3:28 PM
    The general advice I've always heard relating to this is that if your existing oil tank is OK and your oil boiler is reasonably efficient and working well / not giving you any trouble then you're better to stick with it for the time being and switch to gas at a later date. The running costs aren't hugely different so you're unlikely to make your money back by switching when you don't need to
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 19th Nov 19, 10:55 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 19th Nov 19, 10:55 AM
    • 19th Nov 19, 10:55 AM
    Perhaps, but if you stay there for the long haul you definitely would.

You could also argue it adds value to your house if you go to sell down the line, its a very attractive perk.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 19th Nov 19, 12:18 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 19th Nov 19, 12:18 PM
    • 19th Nov 19, 12:18 PM
    also an oil burner is easily and cheaply serviced. I do mine myself.

Not so gas where you have to get a guy with a gas cert to touch it!!

also more costly to repair/replace
    • lastbigspender
    • By lastbigspender 19th Nov 19, 1:26 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lastbigspender
    also an oil burner is easily and cheaply serviced. I do mine myself.

Not so gas where you have to get a guy with a gas cert to touch it!!

also more costly to repair/replace
    Originally posted by ballyblack

how do you service your boiler, wud be interested in doing this myself too as its 60 - 70 each time!!
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 19th Nov 19, 4:09 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    guiriman
    how do you service your boiler, wud be interested in doing this myself too as its 60 - 70 each time!!
    Originally posted by lastbigspender

Me too, getting someone reliable who'll come when they say is half the battle
    • junglejame911
    • By junglejame911 21st Nov 19, 3:53 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    junglejame911
    Switched and would never go back. Silent, clean, instant heat & we've had lower bills since fitting two-level thermostat.

That said, the previous oil boiler was at the end of it's life and there was a 500 switching incentive a few years ago so made the financial decision a bit easier.

I'd be worried about future governments view on gas - Labour/Lib Dem coalition might ban the thing altogether.
    • Coolhandluke
    • By Coolhandluke 21st Nov 19, 4:11 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Coolhandluke
    Originally posted by lastbigspender
    Remove the top access plate to get at the baffle plates inside and lift these out. Cover the burner unit at the bottom and then just scrape clean the inside of the boiler using a scraper and wire brush.
    Then just lift out or vacuum up what you've scraped off.
    It's unlikely the nozzle will need changed but it's easy enough to do.
    Nothing should need adjustment so reinstall the baffle plates and access plate. Job done.
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 24th Nov 19, 11:26 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    jnm21
    I'd be too afraid to do mine, but there seem to be videos on YouTube - perhaps search for your boiler make?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 24th Nov 19, 11:37 PM
    • 12,343 Posts
    • 32,915 Thanks
    suki1964
    If we had mains gas I would switch in an instant
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

359Posts Today

2,080Users online

Martin's Twitter