Ebay global shipping

NaughtiusMaximus
NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
My GF has listed a number of items on ebay and has selected the global shipping option on listing, something neither of us have ever used before. Ebay's GSP terms state:

"We’ll calculate the right postage cost for international buyers, depending on where they live, and this is what they’ll see on your listing. We’ll calculate the estimated delivery time, including the time it takes for you to send the item to the UK Shipping Centre.

The buyer pays this postage fee to cover the cost of international tracked postage from the UK shipping centre. All you have to do is post the item to the UK shipping centre and pay the cost of that postage - just like you would if you were posting to a UK buyer."

She has listed the items as free shipping and would have expected overseas buyers to see a higher price to cover the international postage costs, for example one item is £65 incl postage, we would have expected an Australian ebayer to see a higher price incl postage, say £75. When she searches for the item on the Australian site however she still only sees a price of £65 (in Aussie dollars).

What's happening here, surely ebay wouldn't be picking up the entirety of the UK-Australia postage costs would they? Does GSP not apply if you list an item with free postage?

Comments

• Unless your gf is searching for her items on a different pc / mobile wifi etc, eBay will show all her listings as she believes them to be.

If she searches on a another machine / mobile / wifi in an other location she may well see that some of her listings are not even showing in search.

Whichever, eBay will see that the search is originating in the UK and will only show the UK post / packing.

If you really need to know how much eBay is charging her buyers with the GSP, then her listings need to be searched for by somebody in the destination country.
  • Unless your gf is searching for her items on a different pc / mobile wifi etc, eBay will show all her listings as she believes them to be.

If she searches on a another machine / mobile / wifi in an other location she may well see that some of her listings are not even showing in search.

Whichever, eBay will see that the search is originating in the UK and will only show the UK post / packing.

If you really need to know how much eBay is charging her buyers with the GSP, then her listings need to be searched for by somebody in the destination country.

Ah okay, I thought merely searching on the ebay site specific to that country would give you that info.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Go to the postage and payments tab above the item specifics - change the location to a country of interest and ask it to get rates and you should then see the global shipping charges up the top in the normal shipping place. (At least this works for me... )
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    theoretica wrote: »
    Go to the postage and payments tab above the item specifics - change the location to a country of interest and ask it to get rates and you should then see the global shipping charges up the top in the normal shipping place. (At least this works for me... )

That works for me as well
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure