PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    I'm back, having not kept an eye of spending during October, I could probably roughly add it up but I'm just going to move on and start afresh.

I've planned this next weeks meals based on what we've already got in and should be able to keep this weeks spends low.

I'm hoping to come in under £400, that's to feed 2 adults and 3 children all meals, toiletries, household, alcohol, and any food/drinks out that aren't part of a celebration.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • MrsD18
    MrsD18 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another food spend yesterday as my in laws came for tea which I hadn't planned for so another £11.45 at Mr T :mad:

Did a butter chicken curry so bought chicken thighs, butter and Greek yoghurt. Also stocked up on canned tomatoes as they were 4 for £1, olive oil as it was on offer and on my list anyway, and needed some bleach so picked that up.

Now on £60.17/£300.00 for the month, but there is lots of curry left so will put that in the freezer for later in the month.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Budgets updated to here

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend! Mine's been ridiculously busy (when did I suddenly get a social life!!) but great fun, and I did manage to prep my meals for the week, which helps me massively, so I've got cheesy savoury oats with mushrooms and spinach for breakfast, veganised slimming world "H3inz cream of tomato" soup with a wholemeal roll for lunch, and slow cooked sausage and lentil casserole for my teas which I'll do with fresh veg each day.
    Need to do a big budget update.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello All.
    I'd love to join in this month. It's been a while and I've sort of lost the will with the food budget. My efforts are often undermined by other members of the household. We are a household of five, 2 adults, 2 teens and 1 nearly teen. Budget includes all food, non-alcoholic drinks, school meals, packed lunches, cleaning and household expenses. I am aiming to keep it to/under £625 this month. This is a horribly large amount but unfortunately it would be a major success. I have already spent £153, which included catering a family visit. As I don't drive I have 'company' when doing the weekly shop, so I may look at an online shop to reduce the trolley interference.I
    I will need some expensive items this month, nutritional yeast, wheat gluten and coconut aminos. I probably need to pop to the health food shop for these.
    I can claim 3 nsd!!! The nsd may be my secret weapon.
    Tonight will be jackets, veggie sausages and beans for the others. I attempt to eat wfpb, so I'll cook a batch of quinoa (extra for packed lunch bases), garlic mushrooms and black beans.
    Thank you for running the thread. I'm looking forward to having my mind blown by you guys financial dexterity. (And to hanging head in shame!)
    Xx
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2018 at 7:51PM
    Options
    £5.95 spent today at Morrisons and £3.25 spent on Saturday.
    I had a spend at the beinning of the month aswell, but my colleague didn't give me a receipt and i haven't had time to work it out. I will say this was a fiver.

So, a total of £14.20

I have Ocado and Morrisons shopping coming on Wednesday.
    Morrisons because my daughter has ran out of facewash and moisturiser, that is only available there and not instore.
    Ocado, because i have my second to last £10 off £50 voucher. I have used it to stock up on Pyrex on offer. I want to start trying to eradicate the plastic mountain, and using things that are more multi-purpose. These can go in the oven, microwave, freezer and fridge.

Does anybody know if they are on offer anywhere else other than Ocado and Morrisons? (Ocado offer is cheaper, i think)
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bought some beer and a couple of bits at the weekend so total is now £103.37/£320

Does anyone know where stocks GF Quorn sausages? I have seen them in Morrisons but wondered if anywhere else did them.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    £5.68 spent today.

Within that spend was a nearly 1kg swede bought for 48p without any plastic around it. Why this vegetable has plastic around it in the majority of places I'll never know. Anyway this time of year I love stews and the like so yay.

I'm having vegetable bean curry (again that vegan mince in this) dinner.
    OH had pasta with cheese.

£44.63/£200.
    £155.37 left
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pipney Jane, I was trying to work out what rude word you were trying to spell (Giggly Pig***) til I read to the bottom :rotfl:

Ha ha! :rotfl:

Zafiro, what kind of milk do you freeze? When it defrosts, is it exactly as before it was frozen? We get through so much milk, if we could freeze and use it would be a big help

I’m not Zafiro, but i freeze milk regularly. If it is homogenised, I find that it splits so that the cream rises to the top when it is defrosted. I normally buy skimmed, in the 2L bottles and freeze half; it’s cheaper to buy that way. It take 2-3 days to defrost in the fridge.

We also keep a stock of long-life skimmed milk in the cupboard. Long-life skimmed milk does not have the horrible aftertaste that long-life semi-skimmed or full-cream milk has. That taste comes from the cream. Long-life skimmed milk tastes almost the same as fresh, it’s cheap and it keeps for ages.

That reminds me... I totally forgot to mention yesterday that because MrT is rebranding all of their value products, they had long-life skimmed milk at 28p/litre instead of 55p. We bought 9. BBE date is 29 March 2019.

HTH

Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 November 2018 at 12:56AM
    Options
    Zafiro, what kind of milk do you freeze? When it defrosts, is it exactly as before it was frozen? We get through so much milk, if we could freeze and use it would be a big help:T

Usually semi skimmed although I've also frozen whole milk with no problems. To defrost I just leave it out on the worktop overnight as it takes ages to defrost in the fridge. Yes it's exactly the same as fresh after defrosting.
    Don't freeze homogenised milk as it separates out on defrosting. I learnt that the hard way as I bought 10 YS ones from M&S earlier this year.

Oops sorry I've just read PipneyJane's reply above
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Today was an accidental NSD. I couldn't be bothered to go to the store plus I wasn't feeling well. I was able to do a bit of cooking this evening though so made a red and yellow lentil dhal for OH. My beef yellow lentil dhal/curry is finishing up in the pressure cooker now. OH boiled some eggs to put into his for lunch tomorrow and I'll be eating mine for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. I'll try to put some directly into the freezer after cooling because there's no way I'll be able to eat all of it for the rest of the week.

I'm slowly using up the stocks in the freezer. There are a few nice fatty ribs in the freezer that I'll use to make a white beans and pork dish later this week. Tomorrow definitely holds a trip to Delhaize since we're down to our last drops in olive and a few other things.

TOTALS SO FAR
    €40.66 / €300.00
    2 / 12 NSDs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills