My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh OBL, I come to catch up with you and you are having such a terrible time - sending you and your Mum massive hugs. xx
    Thanks for the hugs Cherryfudge,it seems the universe decided to dump all the crap on me and my family at the same time,my poor mum really isn't equipped to deal with this,my eldest sister died of breast cancer back in 2003 and so this is quite frightening for her,I just wish she had got it checked out when it first happened because it might not have been so bad
    On a more positive note my finances are still on track so at least ones thing is going well and I don't have that added stress
    My employers are hassling me to reduce my hours again and I'm thinking I will try it on a three month trial as I am struggling to cope,if it affects my finances too much I might have to think again or be brave and self manage my debt plan so I can reduce the payments,I will just have to wait and see
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Chrystal wrote: »
    So sorry to hear this news OBL.

I really hope that things go well with the operation. ((((hugs))))
    Thanks Crystal,apparently they do it as a daycase so hopefully she won't have to stay in, although at her age I wonder if a couple of days as an inpatient might be wise as she isn't allowed to do anything heavy for two weeks and she doesn't like sitting still,I'm hoping my sister will be able to come down and spend some time with them to help out as I can take any time off work so will only be around in my days off
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Right I need to get back to normal and keep up with my diary,I'm starting to not pay attention and that's not happening because I will end up spending money I don't have again
    Today has been a productive day. I have made Gnocchi bake for my meals for Monday to Thursday so no cooking for me in the week,tonight I'm having things from the freezer because they need using up so all evening meals are done for the week,I've caught up on the washing and ironing and the house is relatively tidy
    Over the last few weeks I've had a very persistently broody chicken,I tried lifting her out of the coop everyday and making sure the eggs were collected promptly but she carried on so I left the house in the run but removed the bedding so she couldn't nest and it would cool her down but that didn't work either so this week on Monday I took the house away completely so they had to roost on the ladder that leads up to the house,I'm hoping this has worked,she is acting more normally now so today I've scrubbed the house out and I'm going to put it back in tonight and hope she doesn't carry on where she left off,it's not good for them to get broody because they don't leave the nest enough to eat and drink and when I'm on a 12 hour shift it means she hasn't drink all day,hopefully I have cured the little madam
    I have also been brave this week and tried the new riding school and they were very nice people but it wasn't the same as the old place simply because I have friends there,I'm hoping if I keep going to the new place i will get to know people there too. I went on a hack with a lovely lady through lots of areas that I didn't even know were there,my horse for the ride was called Sooty and he was a lovely quick and interested ride not plodding in the least,we got to ride through a couple of streams which is always fun,not much in the way of cantering which I love but it was good to get back out again,I did pay for it the next two days though as my inner thighs felt like I'd been to the gym,I can afford to go to the new place twice a month I think so that should be ok for now
    I have also found a place that does a two hour ride over the common from one village to another with a stop off for a cream tea in the middle,this sounds like heaven to me so I am going to try and book a place on that at some point
    Money wise things are pootling along quite nicely and I am now 5 months without needing to use a CC ,this still amazes me every day and I'm so pleased I decided to join this site and sort my debt out,I have enough other things going on without money causing a problem too. I haven't put any money in the emergency fund this month because I have had my eldest daughters birthday and Father's Day, I also have DGS first birthday next month but Argoos had an amaazing sale on the toys so I got his present this month instead, I got him a lovely old fashioned wooden walker with bricks that was reduced to £13.99 I loved it so much I got one for my house too and a wooden Noah's ark with animals that is a shape sorter,they are such lovely toys and not a bit of plastic anywhere,so next month I won't have to budget for his birthday because it's already done,hopefully I will be able to put more saving away next month.i have put away my £50 for Xmas this month so now have £250 saved for Xmas and it's only June
    Finallly just want to say to anyone still reading this thanks for sticking with me even though I've been missing for a bit xx
  • arsenalbarnie
    Options
    Nice to see you back posting OBL. So sorry to hear about your mum. Can't believe they are intending to do a mastectomy as a day case! Keep on swimming with everything. You're doing great sticking to your finances at this tricky time :T
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your mum.

And yey to getting back in the saddle.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Nice to see you back posting OBL. So sorry to hear about your mum. Can't believe they are intending to do a mastectomy as a day case! Keep on swimming with everything. You're doing great sticking to your finances at this tricky time :T
    Thanks Arsenalbarnie,I can't believe it either but apparently that's how they do it now,she is 85 though with a heart condition and unstable blood pressure,she also has a tendency to bleed a lot in surgery so I reckon she will end up at least staying in overnight,it's her mental health I'm worried about,I don't now how she will react when she sees the scar,I'm preparing for a rocky road ahead
    I'm so relieved I sorted my finances out now when I did because the stress of that as well would have finished me off for sure,hopefully things will calm down a bit before she has her op and then we can just take it from there
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your mum.

And yey to getting back in the saddle.
    Thanks Drawingaline, I'm meeting mum today and we are visiting our newly opened Ikea as she has been waiting to go since it opened in May,I just have to keep hold of my purse or I will go crazy, I'm glad I've finally made it back in the saddle,it had been going on too long,I might go again this week but body wise I'm not feeling fantastic so I'm not sure yet,I will see on Monday and book it then
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,038 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done for keeping an eye on the finances, it's often the first thing to go when people are under pressure. How is your Mum coping? It sounds as though she's had surgery of some sort before which could be helpful as they will know what to look out for.

The riding sounds lovely. I expect you'll soon get to know people there.

Re reducing hours at work, it's such a difficult decision. Easier for me as I have DH's salary as well as mine (and he gets paid more) but if they are offering you a trial period that could help you make up your mind. I'm on sick leave for some time as you know and I must say I knew straight away the accident happened because I was tired. DH and I had been discussing reducing our hours the day before! I had also said to a colleague that a particular set of shifts was finishing me off - then at the end of those shifts, what do I do but lose my balance and fall badly? Then when I came to put my time sheet in, I realised I'd done more extra hours than I thought. I think we go on coping but for me I didn't manage to 'dodge the bullets' quite well enough.

I know that is a lot easier to say than to take action on. I'm looking seriously at reducing my hours when I go back to work. Not massively, and I would still have the option of taking extra shifts, but it would slow the treadmill. I do love my job but the work/life balance is overstretched.

One very interesting thing I've just discovered - our spending on food nearly halved since I've been off sick! Some of that is due to my determined efforts to use up stuff from the freezer (some strange meals! :D), some to DH not needing to buy his own (he has more expensive tastes) and yet more is due to me finding it harder to get to the shops - but it's definitely cheaper. I am spending more on feeding the birds, though.

How was Ikea? Did you manage to resist temptation?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Well done for keeping an eye on the finances, it's often the first thing to go when people are under pressure. How is your Mum coping? It sounds as though she's had surgery of some sort before which could be helpful as they will know what to look out for.

The riding sounds lovely. I expect you'll soon get to know people there.

Re reducing hours at work, it's such a difficult decision. Easier for me as I have DH's salary as well as mine (and he gets paid more) but if they are offering you a trial period that could help you make up your mind. I'm on sick leave for some time as you know and I must say I knew straight away the accident happened because I was tired. DH and I had been discussing reducing our hours the day before! I had also said to a colleague that a particular set of shifts was finishing me off - then at the end of those shifts, what do I do but lose my balance and fall badly? Then when I came to put my time sheet in, I realised I'd done more extra hours than I thought. I think we go on coping but for me I didn't manage to 'dodge the bullets' quite well enough.

I know that is a lot easier to say than to take action on. I'm looking seriously at reducing my hours when I go back to work. Not massively, and I would still have the option of taking extra shifts, but it would slow the treadmill. I do love my job but the work/life balance is overstretched.

One very interesting thing I've just discovered - our spending on food nearly halved since I've been off sick! Some of that is due to my determined efforts to use up stuff from the freezer (some strange meals! :D), some to DH not needing to buy his own (he has more expensive tastes) and yet more is due to me finding it harder to get to the shops - but it's definitely cheaper. I am spending more on feeding the birds, though.

How was Ikea? Did you manage to resist temptation?
    Hi Cherryfudge, Mum is very worried which is natural but she says she has made her peace with the fact she has to have this op and just wants to get back to normal now,she has got a date for the op and it's on the 3rd of July which is next week so she hasn't got too long to wait thank god
    We had a lovely time in Ikea and I didn't buy anything:eek: my mum bought three jars of jam because they were buy two get one free and then gave two to me,one of them is the lovely Lingonberry one and I love it,I haven't stopped eating it since
    When I drop my hours it will only be 4.5 a week that I'm dropping but it adds up over a month,Im hoping with the pay rise we are getting it will be ok,I'm going to ask to do a three month trial to see how it goes and hopefully I will be able to make it permanent,I am tired most of the time but I also think a big thing for me is I'm always rushing everywhere,I have narrowly avoided three falls this week just because I was either rushing or carrying too much,so I'm going to have to slow down a bit I think
    That's interesting about your food bill,I suppose not being to get out and about as usual has an effect :)
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 24 June 2018 at 10:05PM
    Options
    Phew I've had a busy week,last Thursday I went to see my GP about the headache I have had since March,to cut a long story short he thinks it's my dependence on painkillers that is causing them,so I'm not allowed to take any painkillers at all for two weeks,I left thinking he didn't know what he was talking about but I'm now on day 4 and my headache has almost gone,I have had a headache for some of the day but not nearly as bad as normal,I have to go back when the two weeks is up to see how it's gone,I need to work out what I'm going to do as far as the Fibro goes because I do need to be able to take painkillers sometimes

I had a meeting with my boss and a lady from HR about my sickness and it went ok,they could have given me a written warning but instead have opted to monitor me and have monthly meetings to see how I am doing,I can't go sick for 12 months now because if I do they will escalate it to a formal tribunal where they decide if I'm fit enough to do my job,obviously this is going to be impossible as I have a chronic illness but I will do my best,I haven't got any unions imvovled yet so that's an option if things get worse,they are sending me to occupational health to get checked out because I've been off a few times with bugs and my boss thinks my immune system is compromised,I also have to go via Occy health if I want to cut my hours because it's for health reasons,this will be a good thing because I can sort out some medical issues while I'm there and hopefully get some advice on how to proceed, I was worried that not being a able to take any painkillers would make me too ill to go to work but so far so good,one of my meds is codeine and I have had some withdrawal symptoms but so far not anything I can't cope with,I've found keeping busy has helped
    For my part I need to recognise that I don't take care of myself like I should, so I'm going to be more proactive in eating well and sleeping well and also doing the things I enjoy

Today has been a busy day because DDs boyfriend has gone on holiday for a week so I took advantage of the house being emptier to have a good tidy and clean,I've cleaned all the downstairs carpets today and washed all the covers on one of my settees,I just have the other one to do now,I've tided the patio as I wanted to spend some time in the garden and I've done some washing,The house should stay quite tidy for a few days now so I won't have much to do on my days off
    I'm working tomorrow so that's Monday taken care of and on Tuesday I have my DGS for the day,I'm hoping this lovely weather will last so we can sit in the garden for a bit

Mum has a date for her op,it's on the 3rd of July which is next Tuesday,luckily I'm off anyway and I havent got DGS that day because his mum is off too,so it worked out quite well or me to go with her,I'm working that week though so won't be around every day but I think my sisters are thinking of coming down,I suggested they did a week each because she can't do anything for two weeks but I'm not sure they will,Mum probably won't want them around for that long anyway because they are a pair of drama queens and are already being hysterical which won't help anyone.
    Right I think that's me updated now,I must go to bed soon because I have to get up at 5.15 for work
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback