Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ahhhhh lost a really long post!

The crux of it was my dismay at the events in Manchester this week; I know the news coverage is needed to update people as it unfolds but at just so heartbreaking thinking about those innocently caught up in it.

1p OP yesterday, but cancelled dinner plans yesterday mean £35 up on the budget which will cover some additional spends that weren't budgeted for. I wonder if the budget will always be this fluid?

No more savings possible this month; next regular saver is at the start of the month so the figures won't change much really until then.

A few days off work now for us; we're both struggling after the last few weeks of traveling which has taken its toll. Off to the gym shortly as need to focus on reducing my weight as it's getting me down abut but also my clothes are starting not to fit :o

Time to get on with the day! :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Gym session went really well :) tried the other branch of puregym in Leicester and it was different but good. Used their stair master which was really hard work afternoon a little 3km run and then we did some arm weights and used the battle ropes. We're planning on going again to hat branch tomorrow as is very quiet mid morning and having different equipment is pushing us on a bit.

I'm aiming to lose 5kg in weight by Christmas, my gym going is fairly regular but can be upped a bit and then controlling my diet better should also really help. Saying this though we're going to a local street food fest ftomorow night, a barbecue Saturday and unlimited wings at hooters on Monday....maybe start next week ;p

I joke, but think i will just ensure the exercise is there and watch my meals/snacks the rest of the time to limit damage.

Made brocolli and Stilton soup for lunch- 3 portions made so two for the next few days, used only 30g Stilton for flavor but without too much calories. It was very delicious I must say.
    Gf's parents are coming over for dinner and bringing their cat to meet the kittens- we Are making a chargrilled veg puff pastry tart, with spuds for dad and veggies for the rest of us. Using lighter puff pastry to reduce cals and it was on offer at Tesco for £1 so cheaper than full fat!
    £17 spent on groceries today which should see us through the long weekend and then gf bought new underwear and I got a new top for £4 in the sale. A bit naughty but hoping it looks nice for BBQ this weekend: I need to sort my wardrobe tonight/tomorrow and go through things I don't wear anymore and look at decluttering a bit!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Another gym session yesterday at the other gym- tried using battle ropes and it is so very hard. Managed three sets of 20seconds only :D

No gym for me today as my stomach is pretty tender from the ab exercises so taking today as rest day.

We had plans to go to a local street food fayre but after chatting about it we decided we could save some money and have a 'treat' dinner at home instead. We stopped at Lidl on way home and bought some mussels
    In sauce (ys so 30% off)- we bought two packs as thought one pack between two wouldn't be enough- and some frozen fries. Dinner was fantastic (we saut!ed some garlic first for the mussels) and only cost £2.82 with lots of frozen fries left for another day. I even had a nice bottle of corona we had in fridge already so minimal spends but felt like we ate out and had a treat together :)

Barbecue day today at some friends, trying to reign in frivolous spending for friends get togethers so I have got up to do the dishes and made a raspberry bakewell cake- the cake is cooking now and then will slice it, pop raspberry jam in the middle and ice. We had all the ingredients in and it satisfies my baking urges (but shares the goodies so I don't feel bad having a whole cake to eat!) so feels like a win!

We have some leftover cider bottles from the housewarmings late last year/early this year so I will take those to drink and we have some Diet Coke from when it was on offer. Will pick up some chicken on way so we are taking some meat too but by only buying the chicken we are saving quite a bit :)

Kittens have been going out into the garden and loving it, the lawn was so long that they could play hide & seek before. Yesterday we borrowed our neighbours lawn mower and mowed it early morning and takes up the excess- it's not looking the best but we can start mowing it weekly and have read up on how to look after the lawn so we should be good.

Download festival in a couple of weeks with my bestie- we're pretty close so both our girlfriends are going to take turns picking us up each night, we just have to work out how to get there. Trains/busses should be pretty easy from Leicester though.

Off to check on cake and then time for a cuppa and a read of more diaries: I'm living vicariously through the diaries whilst there isn't much money shuffling going on for us!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    The cake went down a treat and was demolished by the time we left; recipe is https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9074/cherry-bakewell-cake

I used raspberry jam instead of cherry as I had it in (& is cheaper): also I had only one baking tin so I cooked it all together for slightly more than double the time and sliced it in half to fill with jam! We bought a 2 for £7 barbecue meats pack and that was more than sufficient :D

Fab barbecue with friends last night- that's what bank holidays are all about.

Today is gym at 9am to get it out the way (rest day yesterday) then pop into see gf parents after and then household stuff this afternoon. Debating dinner tonight at the moment, I'm fancying something traditional and high cal like toad in the hole but think I should really be leaning more to the salad!

In weight news I have lost 0.7kg this week, which is probably due to cutting out as much junk and drinking more water but it's a good start!
    Going to the newer other gym this morning (taking my car as the parking spaces are tiny!) so will use their treadmill, which feels a lot harder than my normal gym as I've been struggling to get over 4km. Will also try using those battle ropes again and do a few 20seconds sets and work my way up.

MSE side is that rather than my 2-3x a week usage I'm getting 5-6 so my £17.99 membership is working hard!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Tonight's culinary exploits in the house of kittens was using up some ys chicken drumsticks (50p) so found a recipe for a spicy chicken with mango & beans. We tweaked it: no rice but added red pepper, frozen sweetcorn & courgette instead and it was delicious!!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/chicken-drumstick

Served it with tender stem brocolli that was on offer at Lidl the other week :D yummy & frugal as used up mangos from gf's mum (they are in season)

Took a walk to our local Tescos to peruse the ys area but by 3pm it was all gone- we were obviously too late this week!

Kittens appear to have had a bit of a rough fight last night as we've spotted little Oscar has some small cuts on his mouth...will keep an eye and make sure it's nothing more serious than rough & tumble!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Popped on quickly to add that used the ClickSnap offer of the day today- small box of Maltesers £1.50 for free. Gf and I walked to tesco's to get steps up and each bought a box to claim back separately. They'll go in the gifts box as little add ons to presents or to take round to people's houses :D
  • blackste
    blackste Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Free is always good.

I need to investigate things like clicksnap more. I have to get my shopping bills sorted and budgeted better.
    Mortgage £242500 on completion
    FD CC 11/2014 £5900 (£3900 after BT)
    FD loan Approx £5700

Deeply depressing total - £254100
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Yes definitely Blackste; I've found that making small changes with our grocery buying has really paid off.

My gf doesn't like to meal plan really but we are quite resourceful at making yummy dinners with whatever we have in. I'm a big soup fan for lunches and try to make a pot every fortnight at least using anything that Lidl/also/tesco etc have on a special offer or YS if lucky. I freeze a few portions for another week and that way I never get bored :)
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 31 May 2017 at 8:20AM
    Options
    We have the rest of this week off so just relaxing with a cuppa before the next gym session- although I ran 8km yesterday and then went on the spin bike for 20mins so am a little tired!

My cousin and his family are over tonight for dinner, got the last of the cooked turkey from that crown at Christmas out (got four people's portion left luckily) and some bacon from freezer already chopped when YS. Going to make a turkey and bacon pie using the lighter puff pastry we got for £1. Whack some veggies in and sorted. Will serve with the free roastie potatoes we got through shopmium a few weeks ago.

Will be lovely to see them and pleased we are sticking to the budgets!

Been playing with figures and decided to reduce the amount going into my 2% regular saver as the interest is lower then the mortgage. As I still want to build up the Emergency Fund I'm popping £175 a month in and switching the additional £75 to the mortgage for the next few months.

I think this is more financially sensible as we are at the start of the mortgage and from the numbers it looks like overpayments now have a bigger impact :D

This means the EF may only be up to 6months expenses by Christmas time but I'm still happy with this.

We've also decided to not continue the free cat insurance we got with the kittie package from the vets- it was free for four weeks only which is now up- we're both putting £20 a month into savings instead for them as an emergency. We both have a few £k in savings already if the worst was to happen as a back up whilst the money builds. All kitty food, injections, etc will just come out of our normal money so we build up the kitty EF :)

Right,must stop procrastinating and get my bum to the gym!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 6 June 2017 at 10:55AM
    Options
    May round-up

Overpayments: £120.33
    Savings: £550
    Sharesave contributions: £140
    Mortgage interest per day: £13.67
    Pension contribution: £93

Not too bad a month really, grocery spends £125 for the month for us both however eating out was £110 each :O

Totals mean that we're at 50% of the overpayment target for the year after five months which I'm pleased with.

Next months savings figures will be lower £475 as I've reduced one regular saver in order to overpay a little more. A new sharesave (SIP) scheme will start on payday so that will be another £50 stashed away a month for long term savings like the sharesave.

Started playing with the first direct mortgage rates & calculators and got all excited, however we don't change mortgages until May NEXT year lol! I do hope the rates remain as competitive then! With our current payment amount we would be able to shorten the mortgage term with no impact to our monthly spends which would be fantastic :D I can keep dreaming....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback