Options
2»

Comments

• OnTheRun
    OnTheRun Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2018 at 1:15PM
    Options
    Tripledrop wrote: »
    Firstly, admin please move to more appropriate forum if necessary.

Hi all, I wondered if someone could provide some advice/suggestions for me?

A long time ago (15 years or so), I took out a credit card with Egg. I was young, and at some point after this, I entered into an informal debt management arrangement (through PayPlan) with all of my debtors, including Egg.

Within the last few years, all of my debts have been completely cleared, and I now have a 999 rating with Experian.

However, as you may be aware, Egg hasn't existed for a long time. My account was purchased by Barclaycard (then Hoist, then back to Barclaycard) years ago. When it came to approaching my creditors to offer payments, nobody could find record of my Egg credit card at Barclaycard.

At the time I called them (2014), and they said they had no record, and I asked whether that meant I didn't have to pay. They agreed, but unfortunately I have lost the recording of the call I made.

Next thing I know was in August last year, I got a letter from Robinson Way requesting (in their normal lovely way), that I pay back the money. I immediately (on advice from here I believe), wrote Barclaycard a letter under the consumer credit act, asking for a copy of my credit agreement within the normal 12 working days, attaching a postal order for the £1 charge.

I never heard back.

I have received a few other letters from Robinson Way, however I guess as the amount is so small (less than £300) I haven't had anything too threatening.

Today I called Barclaycard, and they have no record of the letter I sent (and being best part of a year ago, I no longer have the proof of postage). They advised to write to them again requesting my credit agreement.

Debt is not on my credit report.

What would people's advice or suggestions be?

If you don't have evidence to support your claim that you have paid off all of your debts, contact the DMP provider and see if they will confirm it.

Otherwise, without evidence to support your claim, and with ongoing claims from debtors, one can only summize that you have not paid off all your debts yet.

In which case, get back onto your DMP provider and get a comprehensive statement of exactly wherre you are with all the debts included in your DMP.

And ask them why, when the debt was included in the DMP, you are now being chased for settlement by the creditor.

Was it beacause, for example, you failed to keep up with your DMP?
    (because why would you, when for some reason, you seem to think you don't have any debts anymore...:cool:)

Why would your credit history not show up credit accounts you have been repaying since as recently as 4 years ago?

I have credit card accounts, some that are 20 years old, and they still show on my credit history files (as the accounts are still live).
  • Tripledrop
    Tripledrop Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although I was in a DMP, I made all offers and payments myself, not through the DMP. Reason for this was I couldn't pay them all at once, and if you do through DMP they're obligated to split the money between all debts and since I was making final offers, I couldn't do this way.

Not sure why this wouldn't show up on credit report (it definitely doesn't), as if they are correct and it isn't paid, it would still be live?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you obtained credit reports from all three ratings agencies?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tripledrop wrote: »
    Not sure why this wouldn't show up on credit report (it definitely doesn't), as if they are correct and it isn't paid, it would still be live?

The answer still hinges on the age of the accounts and when they defaulted, which doesn't appear to have been answered yet.
  • Tripledrop
    Tripledrop Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would estimate the defaults occurred 10 to 15 years ago, so well past the 6 years they are allowed to show up on credit reports.

I have not received credit reports from the other 2 agencies, however this Egg one used to show up on Experian.

My credit appears fine now, took out a second Audi car finance a couple weeks ago (2nd is for my wife), have a new-ish credit card from nationwide, and multiple mobile phone contracts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure