Universal Credit (First Time claiming few questions)

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    787ol wrote: »
    Im working 28 hours a week, housing benefit under universal credit? Should be higher also as it is in london? Im not really sure. But I must be eligible for a housing benefit as most studio places in london are more than my monthly wage entirely.

That’s not how benefits work. Check first before you make any commitments.

Also look to working full time. You’re only working part time and have a partner to support.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    A salary of £1250 gives a net take home pay of about £1123, it's not a huge wage but enough to live on.

Many of us have and do live on that sort of money and rent privately without housing benefit help (I have for many years whilst working and as a post grad student), for the past month I've claimed UC whilst job hunting and am entitled to less than your wage with basic entitlement +housing costs+ limited capability for work related activity.

I've just used the limited information that you've provided in the benefits calculators with the address of the first one bed place I found to rent in Barking (£900/month, one of the cheapest London boroughs) that gave you an entitlement of £0/month, without taking into account your partner's income which would reduce your entitlement and so would be £0 again.

To rent somewhere you'll need not only to pay the monthly rent but a deposit of about a months rent, or more, and the first months rent to pay up front, and fees for the estate agent. Even without your partner's family's financial support as a couple you're not living on a tiny wage. Sounds as though you need to rethink your plans
  • 787ol
    787ol Posts: 7 Forumite
    Each time I have used the benefits calculator I have been entitled to around 200 a month, roughly the same registering her as a partner or as a non-dependant. (There is no question asking if she is international etc... on entitledto) I just want to know if that is actually correct or if I am doing something wrong. Over the past year I have managed to save enough to pay fees etc, but I want to know that we will actually be sustainable.

From the calculations I!!!8217;ve done I will be spending around 70% of my income on rent alone without bills etc... this cannot be right?

Either way if I stay where I am now (a volatile household with an alcaholic with police called every week and on-going court cases that do not involve me or my partner) then I am still spending over 70% of my income on travel costs etc... This is not a !!!8216;personal decision!!!8217;, we!!!8217;re not just moving out because we like the place. We NEED to move out so that we can live in peace and away from danger, whilst also reducing our travel costs.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I understand the dilemma you are in, but your personal situation doesn't necessarily mean that there will be any form of payment available to you in the way of state benefits. 70% of income going on accommodation means you need to do one of two things - find somewhere cheaper or increase your income.
    Sadly, your situation is far from unique.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 10:08AM
    I believe that you will have to claim as a single person.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/before-you-apply/how-universal-credit-works-for-couples/

Give the UC helpline a call and ask them about your situation.( in the link)

The housing element for UC is no longer available for people in your age group so you would have to prove that you have good reason to be entitled to the housing element. Estrangement from parents/ possible health/ safety risk are good reasons so you may fall into this category.

Depending on whether this is a single claim ( shared accommodation rate only) or if they do add your partner in your claim, you may be better off looking for shared accommodation to make your rent cheaper. You do need to take on extra work - at weekends perhaps - to make this viable. Presumably your partner will receive money to pay for bills?

Good luck.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    don't take my word for it but most international students that I've known are permitted to work up to 20 hours a week on their student visa, that in addition to the extra hours that you could work could add a fair bit to your income
  • OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    w06 wrote: »
    don't take my word for it but most international students that I've known are permitted to work up to 20 hours a week on their student visa, that in addition to the extra hours that you could work could add a fair bit to your income

Yes, her Tier 4 visa (for an international student) will say if she is allowed to work in the UK. If her visa says she allowed to work 20 hours a week, that is only limited to 20 hours a week during term time.
  • If the OP worked 40 hours a week he would take home about £1500 pm
    If his partner worked 20 hours a week at the same hourly rate that would bring in about £870pm

That's a total of £2370, plus the contribution from the partner's family.

That's sounds like enough to live on without relying on benefits, even in London.
  • OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 May 2018 at 1:49PM
    If the OP worked 40 hours a week he would take home about £1500 pm
    If his partner worked 20 hours a week at the same hourly rate that would bring in about £870pm

That's a total of £2370, plus the contribution from the partner's family.

That's sounds like enough to live on without relying on benefits, even in London.

If his girlfriend's Tier 4 visa allows her to work 10 hours or 20 hours a week during term time, she is then allowed to work full-time when her university is on holidays.

Page 65 of the government's Guidance for the Tier 4 visa holders (international students).
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/688709/T4_Migrant_Guidance_12_March_2018__002_.pdf
  • 787ol
    787ol Posts: 7 Forumite
    To be honest I think I could come under !!!8216;victim of domestic violence!!!8217; which could easily be backed up by all the police reports.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure