Default while paying debt off

Hello I just wondering about a little problem I have found myself in. So 4-5 years ago I decided to get control of my accounts it ended up with me with 5 defaults which where all paid off and settled recently and also due to fall off credit report within 18 months which is good

3 years ago I missed a couple of payments to British Gas while I was working away in Poland I was obviously getting letters from British Gas while I was away and emails and I did know I owed them money I owed £350 so when I was away in the 6 months I made sporadic payments but when I checked my credit report I received a default. I called centrica and they said even though I was making payments because I didn’t actually set up a payment plan that I received the default. I do understand it was my own error but is this normal it seems slightly unfair to me as made payments I am not looking to blame anybody except myself but after so much effort paying everything off to think his default is stuck for 3 years now. I am saving for a mortgage and will be ready within the next 12 months but this is going to be difference in a decent mortgage rate

Thanks for any info

Comments

• yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What is it you're asking - how to get a default removed? It sounds as if you have already spoken to British Gas and they said no.

Yes, the default on your history might impact the rate or conditions you're offered, but it might not make an enormous difference.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 17 January 2020 at 11:13PM
    This doesn't seen quite right to me.
    If you were away then how were you consuming gas?
    Why did the occupant of the house who was consuming it not pay?
    It seems very strange that you just decided to make a few payments while away for random amounts without seeing the bills.
    Why didn't you set up a direct debit?

Is there any connection between the British Gas default and the 5 other defaults mentioned, or were they just mentioned for information purposes with no real relevance to the topic of the post?
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    I suspect he moved without paying what he owed them? He seems to be saying he knew he had a debt but just hadn't made any contact with them to arrange repaying it.
  • 2006eyo
    2006eyo Posts: 26 Forumite
    Sorry. So I was working in Poland coming home for a couple of weeks at a time i still needed to pay my bills rent etc. I kind of knew I hadn’t reset a direct debit up so hadn’t kept up with payments. Therefor was in arrears and rather than sort it out I would just pay lime £50 on payday thinking because I was making a payment I was at least kicking the Ball away until next time.

What I am asking is it normal/fair to get a default while actually making payments on my account. It shows on my credit report I made the payments I know it was stupid not setting up a payment plan. Maybe I thought as I only owed 400 that making payments of over 10% that I was doing ok
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    2006eyo wrote: »
    Sorry. So I was working in Poland coming home for a couple of weeks at a time i still needed to pay my bills rent etc. I kind of knew I hadn’t reset a direct debit up so hadn’t kept up with payments. Therefor was in arrears and rather than sort it out I would just pay lime £50 on payday thinking because I was making a payment I was at least kicking the Ball away until next time.

What I am asking is it normal/fair to get a default while actually making payments on my account. It shows on my credit report I made the payments I know it was stupid not setting up a payment plan. Maybe I thought as I only owed 400 that making payments of over 10% that I was doing ok
    If the payments that you're making aren't the actual payments you're contractually obligated to make, then yes, it is normal and fair.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    No I don't think it is right or fair for you to get a default under these circumstances. Are you sure that the account is actually defaulted? In order for it to be defaulted, the relationship between you and British Gas must have broken down and the account closed in the sense that they are no longer supplying you gas on a credit basis. If they are continuing to supply you with gas, then the account is not defaulted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure