Stable credit rating

Options
Hi, I need some advice as I have just looked at my credit report and it says it's stable, is this a good thing or a bad thing? recently I just opened a new studio personal credit account which I didn't think I would get as I thought my credit rating is bad but when my studio account came back successful and they offered me a personal credit account of £100 to start with I was shocked, now I just made application for a product with Bright house to rent a smart TV weekly and that came back successful and I had to book appointment with my local store with Bright house to provide them with proof of income and identity like passport / birth certificate.

So does this stable mean my credit rating isn't bad after all?

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    What outrageous weekly amount are you being charged to rent a smart TV and why do you need a smart TV?
    As for the Studio account … Representative 49.9% APR variable .. £100 credit limit …..
  • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    What outrageous weekly amount are you being charged to rent a smart TV and why do you need a smart TV?
    As for the Studio account … Representative 49.9% APR variable .. £100 credit limit …..

Excuse me, what has it got to do with you if I want a smart TV? It's 2019 now, we not in the old ages now for old TVs, every one has a smart TV now for catch up TV like BBCiplayer and ITV Hub etc, so it's got nothing to do with you what sort of TV I want, I asked about my credit rating not the TV. If you got nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. :mad:
  • Ben8282
    Options
    Excuse me, what has it got to do with you if I want a smart TV? It's 2019 now, we not in the old ages now for old TVs, every one has a smart TV now for catch up TV like BBCiplayer and ITV Hub etc, so it's got nothing to do with you what sort of TV I want, I asked about my credit rating not the TV. If you got nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. :mad:
    OK then. Your credit rating must be about as low as it can get if you have to rely on 49.9% APR credit and are only given £100 credit limits and are reduced to renting televisions on a pay-weekly basis at what I am sure must be extortionate prices.
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd think twice about what you are about to do with both companies, they're rates are a rip off, you can buy second hand from the high street cheaper ie: cex or cash generator or charity shops, you don't need a smart tv, just buy a cheap now tv box it has all the catch up tv apps for free.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    ... does this stable mean my credit rating isn't bad after all?
    It means that some lenders trust you with having credit. To improve how your credit file looks to lenders, you will now need to show that you can successfully manage your credit accounts. Your score is irrelevant.

If it were me, I would send the TV back to Brighthouse and instead save up the funds for a nice TV. Brighthouse is totally un-MSE as it means that people pay thousands renting a device that only costs a few hundred...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Options
    It means that some lenders trust you with having credit. To improve how your credit file looks to lenders, you will now need to show that you can successfully manage your credit accounts. Your score is irrelevant.

If it were me, I would send the TV back to Brighthouse and instead save up the funds for a nice TV. Brighthouse is totally un-MSE as it means that people pay thousands renting a device that only costs a few hundred...

I haven't got the TV yet, I just made a the application online and got appointment tomorrow but as others said about the interest rate, I am having second thoughts about getting involved with Bright House, I can save up for a TV on my own.

I will just keep this Studio account as least I don't have to pay items up front, I can just pay instalments which is good.
  • Ben8282
    Options
    I will just keep this Studio account as least I don't have to pay items up front, I can just pay instalments which is good.
    At 49.9% APR its is not good at all!
  • Ben8282
    edited 10 December 2019 at 7:48PM
    Options
    people pay thousands renting a device that only costs a few hundred...
    Back in the 1970's when electrical goods were expensive my parents started to rent a television.
    About 5 years ago I found out that they were paying a ridiculous amount of money every month to continue to rent an old television (not the same television from the 70's. More like something from the 90's). which had obviously been pad for many times over.
    Their response was that they liked to rent beacuse if it broke down they could get it repaired free of charge.
    I told them that I could buy them a better TV from Asda for less than they were paying in the course of a year and it would be cheaper to get rid of the rented one and so long as the new TV lasted a year they could just buy a new one if it broke down and would be better off.
    But would they listen ...
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Get a second hand TV, have a look round BHF as it's 6 or 12 months warranty they give on their electricals.

I picked my big TV up from cash converters a few years ago, it has internet access, Netflix, YouTube, and probably normal TV if I looked into it, I jack it up to the PC and off I go, also has USB sockets for pen drives, WiFi access etc.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • JP2019
    JP2019 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ben, do you ever post anything that isn’t negative
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts